PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last days of Rome......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: The last days of Rome......  (Read 23944 times)

andrewflynn

Re: The last days of Rome......
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2010, 12:48:02 PM »

Or think about the present and stop talking about relegation after six games.. ffs there is a LONG way to go yet.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »

Or think about the present and stop talking about relegation after six games.. ffs there is a LONG way to go yet.

Exactly.........lets see how good the team is with new signings, no injuries, match fit players (Crowell / Twiss) against the 'bottom' eight clubs before (as supporters) WE throw the towel in
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2010, 05:00:53 PM »

I'm not throwing the towel in but surely no use starting playing well with 'fit players' when we are too far adrift.. I'm sure people are entitled to be worried, I am sure plenty of clubs would be looking for a new manager now so just shows how patient our club is ? ?

From what I listened to today though I think the players sounded up for it, although not sure how good Kidderminster are...

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2010, 06:00:02 PM »

To be fair, our manager started it....!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

andrewflynn

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2010, 08:40:22 PM »

To be fair, our manager started it....!

Very true

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

A Couple of points to ponder over.

We have nothing to invest with - this is true but the window is shut anyhow so our recruitment options are limited. Not in any way critical, just asking - Why if we knew we were releasing Dale and possibly making others available too did we not do so before the window shut? We may not have got much if anything in but we could have raised a couple of grand perhaps?

The question was asked before the start of the season whether Matty Crowell was as good a player without Tom Kearney. Personally I didn't think so then and I'm even more convinced now.

We have lost the spine of last seasons team and anyone would struggle given that scenario. The question is do we have what it takes to recover? I don't mean the support of the fans which is virtually always excellent I mean do we have the invention, motivation, creativity, quality and desire to name but a few required traits.

These are genuine questions and I'm honestly interested in peoples views.

Thanks

fuertes

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2010, 09:37:31 PM »

A Couple of points to ponder over.

We have nothing to invest with - this is true but the window is shut anyhow so our recruitment options are limited. Not in any way critical, just asking - Why if we knew we were releasing Dale and possibly making others available too did we not do so before the window shut? We may not have got much if anything in but we could have raised a couple of grand perhaps?

The question was asked before the start of the season whether Matty Crowell was as good a player without Tom Kearney. Personally I didn't think so then and I'm even more convinced now.

We have lost the spine of last seasons team and anyone would struggle given that scenario. The question is do we have what it takes to recover? I don't mean the support of the fans which is virtually always excellent I mean do we have the invention, motivation, creativity, quality and desire to name but a few required traits.

These are genuine questions and I'm honestly interested in peoples views.

Thanks

I'd suggest that GH looked at Dale's record of 7 goals in 70ish games, then decided he'd replace him with McCarthy in a quest to get more goals. That was a direct swap, and whilst I was surprised and not entirely in favour, I can understand why he did it.

As for Crowell, he's barely played and is clearly not up to speed. He won Northwich's Player of the Season in their relegation year. That tells us a couple of things. One, he doesn't need Tom Kearney to look good. Two, he keeps giving his all and putting in good performances when his team is struggling. Personally, that makes me very happy, given it's now clear we're in a relegation scrap.

Nonleaguer

« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »

Today Crowell performed extremely poorly, too many stray balls, not keeping up with play and certainly not working hard to close down opponents. It's no surprise that when he was substituted the team gelled better and created a multitude of opportunities. Sadly we didn't capitalise but on another day McCarthy would have walked off with the match ball. The europhia about losing a star player after 5 games last season was overhyped and he is simply not the answer.

ruthinred

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2010, 12:33:38 AM »

should be a good festive season coming up if  the weather holds :D

seriously, hope you get out the sh*t, when you look at histon/ hayes

youhave every right to demand better

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2010, 08:06:48 AM »

Tiocfaidh Įr Lį

taxi Phil

« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2010, 10:31:44 AM »

Tiocfaidh Įr Lį

I just KNOW I'm going to regret asking, but.......................?

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2010, 11:05:49 AM »

Think it is Gaelic for Our day will come

fuertes

« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2010, 11:25:44 AM »

Buzzphrase of the IRA. Never thought I'd hear it about Alty  :D

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2010, 12:43:12 PM »

All this talk about us already being relegated really is starting to piss me off......... >:(

Ok you can post the league tables etc etc  The best way to help is to come to the games bring a mate and that way more money is generated.... Coming on here moaning about big investments isnt going to help unless you actually want to invest in the club or know some bugger who is genuinely interested in investing in the club

Cmon Alty

brian1925

« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »

Is our present run entirely down to a lack of investment? Sure, we have limited funds and have suffered numerous injuries, but you've got to remember that poor decisions have been made involving player recruitment. Strange substitutions continue to be made at strange times in matches and there are still a couple of players at the club who seem to have 'disappeared'. Anyone who has seen our performances lately will inevitably scent relegation - we have been woeful. Fans have a right to voice their concerns, particularly if they pay £13 each week to watch the team play. We need to cling to the hope that the improvement we showed yesterday will continue into the next match.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last days of Rome......