PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last days of Rome......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: The last days of Rome......  (Read 23955 times)

Narcissist

Re: The last days of Rome......
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 01:36:50 PM »

I dont think GH needs to be sacked but joe is right, the board need to be strong and tell him to make a decision. If he has truly lost, for whatever reason, his passion for his job then he needs to go before we carry on losing games under his stewardship.

I think we have good enough players and I said this the other day, maybe we are losing games because our tactics arent up to scratch, as a pose to having inadequate playing staff. If the boss isnt up for it then it reflects on the players and their performences. I dont see why it would be a bad thing to change manager? Especially if the alternative is to keep one that isnt motivated.

Earlier in the thread I said that GH needs to be saluted, and I stand by it. If that means saluting his outstanding achievements on his way out of the club then so be it. Id like to think that GH will make the decision himself because he will do what is best for the club, hopefully im not dreaming there.

Jezza

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

I have to say that giving Graham a rest and putting ken in temporary charge at the moment would seem to be the thing to do.

You cannot under estimate the effects of a death on one's state of mind and outlook...the way the board needs to be toughand sensible in my opinion is to give the 'cote a break.....those who have been affected by such a life change seem to undertsand what jumps out at me.

Ecky is right in his interpretation but is that the real 'cote or the symptons of what has been described probably accuratly as a mid life crisis.

Be cruel to be kind I say.....otherwise we'll have more of the same leading to a very sad implosion.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:49 PM »

Can they afford to change the manager?
@AltyDaz

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2010, 01:56:25 PM »

It's a catch 22 situation: GH can't afford to resign and the club can't afford to sack him.

There is no easy solution.

FWIW I have nothing to say on the subject as I genuinely don't know what would be the best move for the club at this stage. However, the well-being of the club is, and always will be, the most important consideration.
Come on Alty!

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2010, 02:02:39 PM »

I am sure there are very few managers who know more about this league and club than GH.
There may well be the ideal manager for Alty waiting in the wings somewhere, but I would be surprised if we could afford him or if he could turn things round quickly enough.
If a change of manager is needed then so be it, I just don't think now is the time. It may sound naive, but Alty is not that sort of impersonal, big time club. Supporters love it for what it is, a small, well run almost family type club and I would hate us to turn into Cheshires' version of Crawley. We have got out of bad patches before with the resources we have available, and I remain hopeful we can do it again.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2010, 02:04:04 PM »

It's a catch 22 situation: GH can't afford to resign and the club can't afford to sack him.

FWIW I have nothing to say on the subject as I genuinely don't know what would be the best move for the club at this stage. However, the well-being of the club is, and always will be, the most important consideration.

Whilst agreeing in principle I'd say that the well being of the Manager, he being a living being with a family is the MOST important consideration

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »

Whilst agreeing in principle I'd say that the well being of the Manager, he being a living being with a family is the MOST important consideration

For christ's sake Phil, is there no end to your pedantry?

It goes without saying that his personal well being outweighs that of a football club, but I was talking from a football perspective.
Come on Alty!

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2010, 02:20:27 PM »

Not really.

Imagine if Graham was sacked and this made him miserable i.e. suffered a loss of 'well-being', but at the same time a new manager came in and was extremely successful.

I think many people would accept this scenario, meaning that the well being of the manager is not the most important consideration for quite a few.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
The last days of rome
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2010, 02:29:24 PM »

I think someone needs to make the right decision for Graham first and foremost. Be it he who makes it or the board make it for him. The board also have a duty of care towards their employee, though their close friendship will already make them well ahead of that.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2010, 02:32:01 PM »

For christ's sake Phil, is there no end to your pedantry?

It goes without saying that his personal well being outweighs that of a football club, but I was talking from a football perspective.

Probably not Rosie And I was having such a good day too

Narcissist

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »

Whats to say that GH wont get another job with a different club where he may 'win a few games'.

He's been approached loads of times, maybe the fact he has reflected a lot recently led him to wonder where he could be had he taken one of those jobs. And now he is considering doing it.

I cant see GH leaving alty and then never having a chance in the game again. He's top quality at this level and would do a better job than Saunders at Wrexham for example. Where would that leave him?

Im guessing theres more to it, but i doubt he is holding the club to ransom. Let Ken take over, GH on gardening leave until he finds another post or decides to come back and give it his usual heart and soul, and see how we get on.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »

Hate reading all this at a distance and not having the money or time from work to attend such meetings.

This seems like another meeting where GH says he has spoken to the board..... I am bored of reading \ hearing that he has offered resignations, thought about his position.. blah blah blah.

What GH has done in the past is amazing (Past does not equal the future though??) What I don't want is GH to continue and then end up being rememebered as someone that left it too long and then the good times get forgotten.

I DO NOT subscribe to the idea that 'no one else could cope with budget', 'no one else would want the job', etc. IF we were flying high then fair enough maybe roll with it but the start to the season has been terrible, esp after what we had last year to build on. YES he has prob undone himself by getting such good players that have moved on after finding their potential (Youngy to name one) but it seems we have not replaced them. After last season we should have been the most attractive Part Time 'stepping stone maybe' club to play for ? YES I know we do not have money but too be honest thats something we have coped with before and will need to again.

I am not saying whether GH should go or stay but would just wish the board would see it as a 'manager' and not 'Mr Altrincham', when making a decision. Ask would they be happy with the start if Gary Warrington was in charge, a man who loves the club, would manage the club and sell the club to any player he could get??

Tough decisions and times for Alty on and off the pitch but thankfully its not about 'money' and the board should be congratulated for that, and GH and the management forgiving a Blue Sq Prem team to sustain the money coming in. But I don't want all the hard work undone.

Everyone just do what it right for Altrincham FC. Thats all I can say. Go with heads and realism.

MY OPINION is what I have heard and seen this season its been awful and whether its GH geeing on the team or someone else, something has to be done and quickly before we slip too far behind.

Butty

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2010, 04:57:55 PM »

Firstly can I say that I wasn't there last night, so I might have missed something that somebody else knows. From the reading on the main site (although this may have been toned down to give a more positive outlook on things), it looks like GH just wants to win- some have interpreted it as he wants to leave for a winning team, but have you thought maybe he just wants to get the team back winning again? As I said, others will have heard more than me about this, so feel free to correct me. However, Graham Heathcote is Manager of Altrincham Football Club, and we as fans have to give our support, not only to the team, but to the manager as well

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 07:39:09 PM »

I have to say that giving Graham a rest and putting ken in temporary charge at the moment would seem to be the thing to do.

You cannot under estimate the effects of a death on one's state of mind and outlook...the way the board needs to be toughand sensible in my opinion is to give the 'cote a break.....those who have been affected by such a life change seem to undertsand what jumps out at me.

Ecky is right in his interpretation but is that the real 'cote or the symptons of what has been described probably accuratly as a mid life crisis.

Be cruel to be kind I say.....otherwise we'll have more of the same leading to a very sad implosion.

I'm sorry but talk of GH having a temporary break is a total cop out in my view.

What happens if form improves, GH returns, and form drops off?  Another holiday?  GH is the manager and McKenna the assistant.  Putting McKenna in temporary charge blurs the lines and causes problems ahead.  It also underlines out the "unsackable" perception of GH that some fans hold.

As others have said there's needs to be a strong signal and clear intention from the manager about the direction we take.  If GH genuinely believes he's losing his motivation and appetite then I think his position is increasingly untenable.  If he wants to carry on then fine, but we need more drive, more spirit, more "we can do this!".

andrewflynn

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »

If he wants to carry on then fine, but we need more drive, more spirit, more "we can do this!".

This.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The last days of Rome......