Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 I thought forest green were skint and up for sale??
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I thought forest green were skint and up for sale??  (Read 4862 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: June 18, 2010, 12:02:39 AM »

I wish we were skint enough to bring in class acts like luke jones,and a load of other players from half way up the country, football still baffles me the older i get

Craig Armstrong - Mansfield
Lee Smith - gloucester
Lee Fowler - oxford
James Bittner - salisbury
Herring - from Northwich Victoria
Luke Jones - Mansfield

all signed today......

taxi Phil

Re: I thought forest green were skint and up for sale??
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 12:27:42 AM »

If I didn't know what a paragon of virtue he is, I would suggest St.Colin of Nailsworth has been a liitle economical with the truth. Do any of this lot need their International Clearance checked out ?

Tommy Widdrington reckons James Bittner has gone to Legoland because he wants to stay BSP. That's this season sorted then.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 12:30:43 AM »

I wouldnt mind but a couple of those players are reasonably local to here, I cant imagine what they must be offering them to brave the M6/M5 at least 3 to 4 times a week....

Aussie Bob

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:24:31 AM »

must have a magic money tree somewhere ....

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »

must have a magic money tree somewhere ....

Bought it from Jim Rushe.

Narcissist

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:04 AM »

FGR are probably just laughing at how easy it is these days to be skint and just break the rules instead of forever trying to pay your way.

It reminds me of the dilemma of having a dope test free olympics where some brute would run 100m in 7 seconds wired of his skull. Imagine if we had a one -off season of spend as you like amnesty from administration. Alty signing Craney and loads of championship players who get released.

It will be the death of FGR but maybe Peake knows they wont last in the BSP beyond this season even by cutting their cloth so he's just gone for it, death or glory. Death please!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:06 AM »

If it is true that they are in serious debt then the league should impose a transfer embargo on them to stop this farce of clubs living beyond there means

I fear this topic of clubs spending beyond there means isnt going to go away anytime soon and sadly we will be reading / commenting on it for the forseeable future.

Cmon you footballing authorities get a grip of this bloody  mess, let football decide who goes up and down rather than the administrators.

fgrfan

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 11:50:55 PM »

The list of signings are pretty decent. However its important to stress that financial constraints could very much prove our downfall regarding squad size next season.

We are having a squad of around 13 players. And these will be backed up by 5 young lads who attend the college, Hartpury, in which we train.

So to make things more cost effective having a squad of about 13 players should hopefully prove enough. The problem is that a couple of injuries and you're already beginning to have a very inexperienced squad. Losing Mike Fowler, Lee Ayres and Curtis MacDonald to long term injuries last season proved effective so hoping for a bit more luck with injuries this time round.

At the end of the day if you're looking to compete in the league you are entered in you might as well sign at least a core of players that can prove a backbone to your squad. Three or four more signings to add to the 8 already signed and our squad will be very much cemented for the new season.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:57:14 PM by fgrfan »

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 06:57:55 AM »

The list of signings are pretty decent. However its important to stress that financial constraints could very much prove our downfall regarding squad size next season.

We are having a squad of around 13 players. And these will be backed up by 5 young lads who attend the college, Hartpury, in which we train.

So to make things more cost effective having a squad of about 13 players should hopefully prove enough. The problem is that a couple of injuries and you're already beginning to have a very inexperienced squad. Losing Mike Fowler, Lee Ayres and Curtis MacDonald to long term injuries last season proved effective so hoping for a bit more luck with injuries this time round.

At the end of the day if you're looking to compete in the league you are entered in you might as well sign at least a core of players that can prove a backbone to your squad. Three or four more signings to add to the 8 already signed and our squad will be very much cemented for the new season.

If you have the money to pay for them and can sustain the wages etc then thats fine.

What irks me is if your living beyond your means and simply sticking two fingers up to your creditors.. That my friend, is called cheating.

fgrfan

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 06:05:51 PM »

We're not necessarily living beyond our means by stupidly splashing cash on players, spending over £1k a week on a striker like Salisbury were rumoured to have done is ridiculous. Our stadium move was just hindered by unexpected extra costs. e.g. moving a TV mast a few metres cost the club £100,000 - it had to be done and couldn't of been avoided. How many clubs in the BSP, even like Luton, could afford to randomly pay out £100k to move a television mast? Probably should of budgeted better but I'm not the guy in charge of that! We're suffering the consequences now of part of the stadium move, mixed in with the recession, now on the playing front. But if the club was to ever push on and have any kind of ambition then a move to a new complex was needed, especially as it now runs every day of the year as a conference & leisure centre and reported a profit for the last financial year, whilst many clubs will have no source of income during this summer period. Added to the constant threats by the Conference to improve ground facilities and standards to keep up with the times, the downfall of many non league sides.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:16:39 PM by fgrfan »

Jezza

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 06:21:32 AM »

I must apologise on behalf of alty fans everywhere.....we all thought you were scrabbling round for money to pay your £250k tax bill...please excuse our ignorance....when did you pay it incidentally?

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:19:20 AM »

No club with 700 fans should be giving players from the other end of the country a 2 year full time contract and renting them a house.

markecky

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 08:14:31 AM »

No club with 700 fans should be giving players from the other end of the country a 2 year full time contract and renting them a house.

This kind of makes your "Save the Green" campaign look a little fraudulent I'd say.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 09:52:36 AM »

It'll catch up with them eventually, football clubs can't escape the taxman forever.
All it has done is hasten their demise.

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »

probably right chesteralty but not neccessarily.

If this squad get a plum 3rd round FA cup draw then it will have paid for itself, and some.  Sure it's a gamble on something Poorest Green have no control over whatsoever.

Until the law is changed and rampant free market economics is brought under control any business can follow any business path they choose within the law.  It's not big. It's not clever. It's not sustainable. It is however legal. It is their choice.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team