PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Charlie Bradshaw
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Charlie Bradshaw  (Read 14495 times)

RobbyD

Charlie Bradshaw
« on: May 30, 2010, 08:57:21 AM »

Hey guys,
Just to let you know some sad news about an Ex-Alty player who sadly passed away this week.

Charlie Bradshaw died of a lung related complication aged just 43 yrs old.

As an Emley fan I can remember him playing for us when i when he was in his early 20's charging down the wing all legs and dreadlocks flying. He was the kind of player who had the ability to utterly dominate a game and win it single handed on his day. Some teams just didn't know what to do with him.

Rare for a big lad he could run down the flanks or play at centre forward or centre half. I remember him playing up at Emley for Droylsden at centre half and scoring an own goal with a cracking header from a corner - think that proved he was a proper Emley man!

My favourite Charlie story though comes after he had followed Gerry Quinn to Altrincham. He scored 4 goals against Slough in a Conference game and Alty were pretty much immediately offered a £100,000 deal to sign him by Spurs. The deal famously fell through when Spurs found out that he was 27 years old.

Charlies Funeral will be held at 10.30 am on Friday 4th June 2010 at Woodhouse Christ Church, Woodhouse Hill, HD2 1DH.

Charlie will be laid to rest at Almondbury Cemetery, with the wake to be held at the Deighton Centre.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Charlie Bradshaw
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »

What sad news.

Thanks for letting us know Robbie.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 09:44:49 AM by ALTY 1981 »
Come on Alty!

markecky

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 10:12:04 AM »

Bloody Hell...what a shock that is.

Seemed a really nice guy from what I knew of him.

When he got up full speed he was lightning fast.

RIP Charlie...played a part in some good game for Alty.

"Bradshaw...is there something in the end of these with Chester committed forward...FREEMAN.."...

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 10:13:18 AM »

Terribly sad news. I've some very happy memories of Charlie - a true character.

Looks like the enigma of his true age continues though ! If he was 27 when Spurs tried to sign him in late 1992, he would now have been 44 going on 45 - and in any event that's a tragically short lifespan.

RIP and thanks for the memories.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »

What a great shame. He was about 2 seasons before i got the Alty bug but ive seen videos of him. Looked a class act.

joe

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 10:14:09 AM »

Terrible news RIP Charlie

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 10:34:04 AM »

Yeah real shame this. He didn't play for Alty for very long, I think his morale had absolutely gone after the Spurs thing (he was ace in that game at Slough), but he was a big part of my youth as a lot of the team from that era were. RIP Charlie.

Jacko

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 10:46:04 AM »

Nooo: (........ rip charlie my favorite ever alty player, I used to shout your name in training Charlie! !! Charlie!!! Charlie!!! £100,000 offered and u were worth every penny in my eyes :'(

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »

Awfully tragic news - forever part of Alty folklore.

Our thoughts especially go to his friends & family.

Thankyou for letting us know Robbie

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 01:01:49 PM »

Sad news, indeed.

I wrote the following synopsis of his days with Alty for an article in the Robins Review back in September 2007:

CHARLIE BRADSHAW

This lanky, ponytailed striker arrived at Alty via the exodus of players who followed Gerry Quinn from Emley in the Summer of 1992. He made 18 (+9 as sub) erratic, yet occasionally inspired appearances, notching six goals in the process. His final match was a 3-3 draw in the Cheshire Senior Cup at Witton Albion on 26th January 1993, after which his contract was terminated and he returned to Emley. During the 1995/96 season, he spent a few months at Droylsden. He is probably best remembered at Moss Lane as the man who so nearly joined Spurs for a fee of £100,000 in September 1992, until they aborted the deal after discovering that he was actually aged 26 and, therefore, rather older than they had originally thought! In March 2007, he was still turning out for Bridlington Town (for whom his son, Lee, now plays) at the (reputed) age of 40.

________________________________________________________________________________________

The six goals he scored for Alty during the 1992/93 Conference season were as follows:

Slough Town (A): 2

Colwyn Bay (A) (FA Cup): 1

Welling United (H): 2 (our first home win in the league that season....in late December!)

Runcorn (A): 1.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 01:20:18 PM »

Although only at the club for a short time,charlie really was and still is remember fondly,and as ballers said,a player that brings back so many memories of the days of youthful aways trips to watch the robins in that era, Rest in peace

Jezza

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »

Terribly sad news.....a very technically gifted player and a nice character.....I liked his rueful grin as his 'headed' goal Vs Cheshter was ruled out for handball.......RIP Charlie Bradshaw...part of our history and will always be remembered very fondly by those who saw him either live or on the Chester TV....glad some of his football will be immortalised on the alty's greatest moments DVD.

Altyant

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 06:03:10 PM »

RIP Charlie - one of the first Alty players that I really remember. I always remember the 'Charlie, Charlie Bradshaw chant' and how he had 'slashed' the tags on his socks

Narcissist

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 06:19:52 PM »

Only saw a handful of his appearances as I was a nipper. But I just remember that whenever I saw him i'd had it drummed into me that he could produce the magic of Cruyff and never to look away.

R.I.P. Charlie!
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Charlie Bradshaw