News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TASC World Cup 2010 Predictions Competition

Author Topic: TASC World Cup 2010 Predictions Competition  (Read 2844 times)

Altyant

« on: May 13, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »

Following on from the success of the Football Predictions which ended last week TASC are running a World Cup 2010 Predictions Competition.

Entry into the competition costs £5, and forms can be downloaded from the thread or, if you PM me your email address, I can provide you with an excel version, then posted or emailed back to me at the addresses given. The rules of the competition are as follows; closing date for entries is June 10th, however entries will be accepted after this date, but any entry's received after this date will not earn points for games that taken place prior to receipt of your entry.

Points are earned based on your predictions as follows:
'Home' goals tally correct = 1 point
'Away' goals tally correct = 1 point
If your prediction of both the home and and away tallies are correct (100% correct prediction) = 1 point

The prize breakdown will be as follows:
Winner 20%
Runner Up 15%
Third Place 10%
Stake Back Position £5
Remainder to TASC

If entrants finish level of points, the number of 100% correct predictions will decide who finishes higher

bighairedmike

Re: TASC World Cup 2010 Predictions Competition
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:03:39 AM »

Just a quick one before this starts.

Say, for example, I predicted Brazil to beat greece 3-1 and the final result is 2-1 to brazil. Do i only get the 1 point for predicting greece to score 1? Or do i get a bonus point for the correct prediction (ie. brazil winning) even though the amount of goals is incorrect?

Cheers.  :)

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:28 AM »

Hi there Anthony

Sorry if I'm being a bit of a pain given the hard work and thought put into running something like this, but I'm with AA on this ?

Using his example, if you correctly predict Brazil to beat Greece 3-1 then you get 3 points - Which is fair enough.

However there seems to be an anomaly in the proposed scoring system whereby someone can collect one point but not get the predicted result right ?

For example - If I predict Brazil to win 3-0 then I only collect one point ? despite predicting the right result  (i.e. Brazil to beat Greece) but the wrong score (but getting one of the scores right) 

Someone else could have predicted Greece to beat Brazil 1-0 (or even draw 1-1?) and they also get 1 point despite getting the result totally wrong ?   

This seems inequitable and nonsensical ?

Could I suggest that there should be a pointed awarded for predicting the correct match outcome.

So in the above example:

1 - Someone predicting the right match result and correct score-  scores 3 points
2 - Someone predicting the right match result and getting one of the two scores right gets 2 points
3 - Someone predicting Brazil to beat Greece but getting the  both scores wrong gets 1 point, and also
4 - Anyone getting the match result wrong gets Nil points regardless of whether they get either team score right ?

Hope this is understandable ? and that it's not too late to reconsider the scoring system.

If you are worried about a tie break in the event of of two or more finishing level then how about predicting 1st, 2nd 3rd & 4th places.

Either way I'll still be sending off my fiver.

Altyant

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:34:38 PM »

Just a quick one before this starts.

Say, for example, I predicted Brazil to beat greece 3-1 and the final result is 2-1 to brazil. Do i only get the 1 point for predicting greece to score 1? Or do i get a bonus point for the correct prediction (ie. brazil winning) even though the amount of goals is incorrect?

Cheers.  :)

You only get the one point for the getting the Greece goal tally correct

Salty - understand totally where you are coming from with regard to the scoring. I think it will probably be too late to change as we have some entrants already. Whether and how we will run any prediction competitions over next season will no doubt be discussed over the summer and all feed-back is welcome
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:38:23 PM by Altyant »

Altyant

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »

Evening all

Just a reminder that the first game is next Friday and if you wish to be able to score points in all matches, your entry will need to reach me by Friday morning

robins1978

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 09:09:49 PM »

Evening all

Just a reminder that the first game is next Friday and if you wish to be able to score points in all matches, your entry will need to reach me by Friday morning
Hi Ant,
Just wondered how many entrants there are for this one and how often you will be updating leaderboard.
Cheers mate.

Altyant

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »

Hi Colin

Currently 14 - will try and get an update out tomorrow
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team