PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 When we were Kings
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When we were Kings  (Read 4464 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
When we were Kings
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »

Cult, when we will see the 2nd half of this excellent series, not next season surely (haven't we got another anniversary season to reminisce on?).

In the meantime I just wanted to point out this quoute from Noel White - how good must we have been in them days.

"Our aim in any season is to win the league and get into the Third Round of the FA Cup"

:)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: When we were Kings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »

Ballers,

All being well, the second half of my series of articles on Alty's 1979/80 season will continue in the Robins Review throughout the 2010/11 season.

Initially, I thought that this series would only run for one season but it is extremely time-consuming and has expanded for several reasons e.g. the various reminiscences from that particular season which other Alty supporters have sent to me; the fact that we played circa 60 matches in total; and the desire to do justice to the achievements of that great team.

As it stands, there have been 25 articles to date....and I am just about halfway through the 1979/80 campaign.

As regards the fact that next season represents the 20th anniversary of that amazing 1990/91 season for Alty, it would, indeed, be splendid if someone could commit to chronicling the events of that campaign. 

Alas, undertaking such a task is beyond me at present.
Perhaps I'll be able to get around to it on the 30th anniversary?!

In the meantime (and the school holidays), don't you fancy recounting the drama of those days...?!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 01:44:29 AM »

Can i just say what an enjoyable read this series is cult?....sure I speak on behalf of many when I offer my thanks and congratulations on a sterling job that has stirred many a memory, got many of us oldies involved and given the younger less fortunate fans who missed these days a bigger insight into what it was like being an alty fan during the glory years.

When we drew a 3rd or 4th division side, they were the underdogs....and you try and tell the younger people that today, and they won't believe you!!!

Aussie Bob

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 03:55:56 AM »

Have to agree with Jezza the series of articles has been great and brings back lots of memories . We were a 3rd / 4th division team throughout those years and if there had been automatic promotion we would have been in the 4th division and with the team we had and it wasn't impossible to think that we could have got into the 3rd division within a couple of years. We were that good ...hard to see it happening these days as a part time club but nothing a couple of decent cup runs would help to fill the coffers ...

bighairedmike

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:13:38 AM »

Can i just say what an enjoyable read this series is cult?....sure I speak on behalf of many when I offer my thanks and congratulations on a sterling job that has stirred many a memory, got many of us oldies involved and given the younger less fortunate fans who missed these days a bigger insight into what it was like being an alty fan during the glory years.

When we drew a 3rd or 4th division side, they were the underdogs....and you try and tell the younger people that today, and they won't believe you!!!

The bits in bold highlight exactly what i want to say. Brilliant work. It's this "word of mouth" style chroncling that our club and fans does/do that makes us "youths" want to see what happened back in the day and know where our great club once was. If we could emulate that within my lifetime i would be so happy. But with me being exiled for 4 years I may possibly miss the best chance of this happening, especially if we carry on in the vein that we have done in the past two yaers.

Building on the positions in which we finish is an achievement in my eyes. If we finish in 13th next year that is an improvement and i willl be happy.  :)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 09:52:05 AM »

As regards the fact that next season represents the 20th anniversary of that amazing 1990/91 season for Alty, it would, indeed, be splendid if someone could commit to chronicling the events of that campaign. 

Alas, undertaking such a task is beyond me at present.
Perhaps I'll be able to get around to it on the 30th anniversary?!

In the meantime (and the school holidays), don't you fancy recounting the drama of those days...?!

It'd be a fantastic thing to do, I'd love to have a bash at it. However, my major problem would be a lack of recall about the season, I was only 11 at the time so didn't see most of the season, saw a fair few away games after Leek Town away but would struggle to do it justice really.

markecky

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 11:46:50 AM »

I wish I had the time to do this from 1990/1991.

Somewhere at my Mums I have every paper cutting from the Messenger and Express Advertiser and some of the evening news (when we got in it).

I'll try and find them and at worst scan a few on here.

thegazelle

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:56:45 PM »

that has brought great memories back already.

The away game at leek was a great day out ,Booze cruise from the railway landed for breakfast at the Harrington Arms at some unearthly hour of the morning well before normal people go into pubs what ensued can only be described as possibly unpleasant. great dissapointments Slough away, Stafford away we must have taken 10,000 that day it was an invasion fixture. Barnet at Home probably one of the finest performances i have ever seen by an Alty team and i was nearly locked out, as i arrived late.  The macclesfield cup games were fantastic.Showler what a god

sorry the ramblings of an old man they were probably not even in the same season

Jezza

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:26:10 PM »

why does every gazelle story start in a pub?

That last week where we played slough and barrow I had organised work meetings around the country to coincide with our ground hopping and slept in the car...did we play bath the saturday coz i seem to remember sleeping in the car next to twerton park as well....Stafford was the worst...can still see that Stafford free kick with the huge inviting gap just like ronald koeman's goal "he's gonna bend it, he's gonna bend it...."

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »

That last week where we played slough and barrow I had organised work meetings around the country to coincide with our ground hopping and slept in the car...did we play bath the saturday coz i seem to remember sleeping in the car next to twerton park as well....Stafford was the worst...can still see that Stafford free kick with the huge inviting gap just like ronald koeman's goal "he's gonna bend it, he's gonna bend it...."

Wednesday...........Barrow
Sunday................Stafford
Tuesday...............Slough
Thursday..............Northwich
Saturday..............Boston
Sunday...............Topped myself!

Dougals Dad

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 07:23:18 PM »

Were you successful?

;)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 07:52:26 PM »

Sunday................StaffordTuesday...............Slough

Were you successful?

The way things were going at that point of the season if anyone had tried to shoot themselves they'd probably have missed. What a horrendous 10 days! Always remember Vics fans trying to get themselves up for ending our title challenge but not realising that in Alty fan's hearts/heads we knew the dream had died at Slough. The only thing that kept me going was knowing that we truly had something to build on and with a couple of additions the sky would be the limit the following season...

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 08:51:53 PM »

Were you successful?

;)

No....couldn't even manage that ;)

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 09:00:33 PM »

I love reading these but its not the alty I know,  for me its a case of when we weren't much good and tried the best to ruin your weekend.  I missed the 1991 season due to uni and really got back into them during the unibond years. away at bishop auckland, spennymore, lancaster city , bamber bridge, always losing to a 40yrd shot from a defender away at chorley or ashton utd.  Can we have a new series based on these years to make supporters appreciate where we are now.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 09:14:33 PM »

I love reading these but its not the alty I know,  for me its a case of when we weren't much good and tried the best to ruin your weekend.  I missed the 1991 season due to uni and really got back into them during the unibond years. away at bishop auckland, spennymore, lancaster city , bamber bridge, always losing to a 40yrd shot from a defender away at chorley or ashton utd.  Can we have a new series based on these years to make supporters appreciate where we are now.

Anyone who witnessed that comeback to draw 2-2 at Blyth in April 2004 can't fail to be impressed by where we are now. It was a truly pivotal moment in our recent history in my opinion.

It doesn't bear thinking about where we'd be now if we'd failed to qualify for Conference North.
Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 When we were Kings