PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Strengthening the squad

Poll

What position do you think we need to improve in order to get into promotion places?

New CF to get the goals
- 20 (64.5%)
New speedy winger
- 1 (3.2%)
CM great passer, opening up defences
- 10 (32.3%)
Utility player in case of injuries
- 0 (0%)
Other position
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Strengthening the squad  (Read 3688 times)

adambaje the robin 14

Strengthening the squad
« on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »

Alty have massively improved since we should have got relegated a couple of years ago but i just dont think we have enough to push us into contention for promotion to league 2.  Maybe its just the vast amount of injuries we currently have but i just think we need a few more signings to get us up there to league 2

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Strengthening the squad
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »

Option One, without doubt.... but then everyone else is looking for this and the vast majority will be able to pay more than we can. A bit more of the old GH/KMc magic is called for here!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

adambaje the robin 14

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 05:57:27 PM »

I know we wont pay the money but quality players now for alty eg greg young, chris denham and senior and colin little have all been free but we need someone new i think for the new season

RocketDan

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 06:02:24 PM »

When Dale is back it will be just like a new signing because he has been out for ages.

Not sure where needs strengthening, I'm sure we will bring in one or two, possibly a winger and a utility player.

jimmyhank

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »

Option 3 for me.

Jenga

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:10:29 PM »

I am I right in saying Col is/was one of our highest paid players?

If so we might have more for a forward going forward - too many forwards there for my liking.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:32:15 PM »

Out of left field so to speak, that Jon Shaw is still kicking his heels a bit at Mansfield. He's got a few ex-Halifax mates here, what about seeing if he's available? He got bags of experience and still only late 20's. Used to be a good target man AND goalscorer. That's the kind of player I'd like to see playing the holding role up front for us.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

jamestimperleyrobin

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:58 PM »

Out of left field so to speak, that Jon Shaw is still kicking his heels a bit at Mansfield. He's got a few ex-Halifax mates here, what about seeing if he's available? He got bags of experience and still only late 20's. Used to be a good target man AND goalscorer. That's the kind of player I'd like to see playing the holding role up front for us.

Jon Shaw won't come

joe

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:45:26 PM »

Do you know him personally James or is that just your opinion?

taxi Phil

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:48:39 PM »

Didn't we approach him unsuccessfully a couple of seasons back ?

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »

I think he ended up at Burton and then in league 2 with them before going to mansfield.
Perhaps he thought he had a decent chance of full time league football then and didn't fancy the part-time game at alty.
After what he's been through, you never know, he just might relish the chance to be in the shop window again?

Of course it all depends on whether he's on contract beyond the end of the season where he is now - but what brought this to mind was Houldsworth saying he needed new forwards who could score goals after the home defeat to the wombles. Perhaps he doesn't rate him.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Strengthening the squad