PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 More from Liverpool vs Altrincham, January 1981
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: More from Liverpool vs Altrincham, January 1981  (Read 8416 times)

JDN

Re: More from Liverpool vs Altrincham, January 1981
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 10:31:22 PM »

Grow up Jamie, you're on ok bloke except on here.

He's being alright tonight, don't upset him!  ;D
thanks for the pat on the head Ecky

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »

It wouldn't be a "pat" on the head if you spoke to me like behave sonny. I know you and your dad, he would be appalled to read the crap you post. Grow up son.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 11:07:23 PM »

Love this stuff, just what this forum should be for.

Can't imagine how much I'd look forward to a trip to Anfield.  What a day and buildup that must have been...

When I was staying at my Grandma's at Christmas I found some of my uncle's (who I think lurks on here) Alty scrapbooks from the early eighties.

I'm back there in a few months so I'll put some of the more interesting stuff up.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 11:12:19 PM »

If you've ever seen the video fo this game we absolutely threw everything we had at Liverpool. An arrogant response to Liverpool's supremacy  is an excellent summary. 85 home games unbeaten they were!!!! 1-4 there is a 2-0 win at any other division 1 side in 81...

JTH

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 11:46:55 PM »

After the game we bumped into a couple of Everton fans who were also at home in the Cup (that dates it if nothing else).  One asked me what the result was, I said "4-1"' he said "who to?" - such was our reputation..

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »

If you've ever seen the video fo this game we absolutely threw everything we had at Liverpool. An arrogant response to Liverpool's supremacy  is an excellent summary. 85 home games unbeaten they were!!!! 1-4 there is a 2-0 win at any other division 1 side in 81...

WE certainly did and believe it or not, Clemence played a blinder. Maybe it's just my rose-tinted, misty-eyed recollection, but I can recall him making many good saves (some outstanding) to keep us out. Indeed, under the heading "Kop Robins earn Anfield Approval", Clemence was quoted as saying that he made more saves that day than in any other game that season to date. I really need to find the rest of the clippings from that game.

I have never been so proud walking out of a ground after a 4-1 defeat.

p.s. Stood in the Anfield Road end with the Liverpool fans beside us, I did get somewhat bored with their incessant "We are the Champions.....Champions of Europe".

I seem to recall there being over 50 official coaches to this one. Does anyone know the official figure for our travelling support that day (it was massive)?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »

Although I feel incredibly proud of how we played that day I still feel annoyed that we had to draw Liverpool.
Anyone else, even a mid table first division team, and I would have seriously fancied our chances. We could have had a fantastic cup run that year and saved Liverpool until the semis.

York Alty

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »

Dunno about the number of buses but I do recall our end being rammed.  Is that our biggest ever away following, bar Wembley?

thegazelle

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 03:54:17 PM »

great day out . met in the moss at 11am i ordered the last round.  23 bitter and one mild , nobody drank lager in them days , it was for southern puffs.
incredible atmosphere in the ground and i remember being so proud of the team as the kop sang altrincham at the end of the match.
coming out of the ground bizarrely we were singing "we scored more than aberdeen do da doda" in reference to liverpool beating aberdeen 4-0 in the european cup in the month before the game .

on a slightly more bizarre note got thrown out of the Moss for accidently bringing down the xmas decorations whilst standing on a table waving a flag. not darkened the doors since, after 32 years it may be time to bury the hatchet!!!!

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 07:24:42 PM »

We went by car as we did for the Everton Game.5 of us in the car i know that.
See in the second photo the lad with glasses on is sat on a beer keg
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 07:28:55 PM by hsmith1 »
Harold

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:47 PM »

We went by car as we did for the Everton Game.5 of us in the car i know that.
See in the second photo the lad with glasses on is sat on a beer keg

Yep, I am that geek.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »

One memory from Anfield - a sustained chant from us of "you only sing when you're winning" which drew applause from the Kop

And from Goodison - the look of incredulity on the face of some Liverpool fans (had just beaten Stoke 2 0) when told of our draw at Everton

I ran a coachwith 50 school mates family and others to Anfield,  none of whom normally watched Alty from as far afield as Marple, Wilmslow, Mobberley ...it was great to give the coach pick up location as "my house".  I was only 18 at the time

JDN

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 09:57:02 PM »

It wouldn't be a "pat" on the head if you spoke to me like behave sonny. I know you and your dad, he would be appalled to read the crap you post. Grow up son.
bit odd

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »

WE certainly did and believe it or not, Clemence played a blinder. Maybe it's just my rose-tinted, misty-eyed recollection, but I can recall him making many good saves (some outstanding) to keep us out. Indeed, under the heading "Kop Robins earn Anfield Approval", Clemence was quoted as saying that he made more saves that day than in any other game that season to date. I really need to find the rest of the clippings from that game.

I have never been so proud walking out of a ground after a 4-1 defeat.

p.s. Stood in the Anfield Road end with the Liverpool fans beside us, I did get somewhat bored with their incessant "We are the Champions.....Champions of Europe".

I seem to recall there being over 50 official coaches to this one. Does anyone know the official figure for our travelling support that day (it was massive)?

I believe that it was 7,000

ALTYGAL

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 10:48:23 PM »

Far right on the second photograph (sporting an Altrincham FC bag): Brian Taylor, later the Chairman of the Alty Supporters Club.

I was trying to remember his name. Recognised the face and the 'tache. Many thanks.  Any idea if Brian is still about?

Living in Australia
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 More from Liverpool vs Altrincham, January 1981