News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 conference cup

Author Topic: conference cup  (Read 1914 times)

Atticus

conference cup
« on: June 10, 2007, 02:14:06 PM »

is the conference cup coming back next season and does anyone remember if it drew csc crowds or regular league game crowds,how important do people see it

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: conference cup
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 02:19:25 PM »

its sh*t, more games to play, were due a cup run but tbh i don't want it to be in the setanta sheild

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 02:42:59 PM »

Total waste of time. Sop to the sponsors and the new TV deal. Will come a very poor 4th after League, FA Cup and Trophy. I assume they are going to make the league season longer, after all the Championship and Divs. 1 & 2 get an extra week than us to play the same number of games.

The Bob Lord Trophy was the name of the Conference Cup back in the day and we were talking sub 500 gates on a Tuesday night, the Conference cup, rebranded as the GLS cup was tried a couple of years back when Woking beat Stalybridge iirc, the final at Stalybridge was that poorly attended the powers that be decided to scrap it. No logic in bringing it back.

fgrfan

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:32:10 PM »

yes the conference cup is back but to be known as the "setanta shield". therefore setanta tv will cover 9 live games in the whole competition. all sides will be required to field 9 players that have previously played in the league. more games, yes your right but you could make quite a bit of cash in the later stages due to TV footage.

Altysmiffy

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:50:21 PM »

I hope they regionalise it for the sake of the travelling - for the fans & the team.

More chance of an extra derby too

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »

I hope they regionalise it for the sake of the travelling - for the fans & the team.

More chance of an extra derby too

The early rounds (3 or 4) are Conf North and South regionalised. Then the "big guns" come in!!

So the best option is to draw Poxford away in the first big gun round, get it televised, take the cash and get beaten.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 conference cup