News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 thread on the Droylsden forum

Author Topic: thread on the Droylsden forum  (Read 1719 times)

Foz

« on: October 17, 2007, 06:58:11 PM »

I was looking at a few forums around and abouts, and this post and the ensuing topic interested me, I suspect that it will interest alot of others here too!
How do.
I'm Stuart Brennan from the MEN, and it was brought to my attention that quite a few Droyslden fans have been complaining about the lack of coverage the paper gives to the Bloods, especially in contrast to FCUM.
Having taken a look at your forum, I see that is the case, so thought I would come on here and talk it over.
First of all, can I say that I agree with the principle - that our non-league coverage could be greater, and it's a point I tried to make in a recent meeting with the sports editor and the editor.
But I think you are aiming at the wrong target.
I partially cover FC United, and my argument - not always heeded - is that they should get the same level of coverage as Bury, Rochdale and Macc, by dint of the similar size of crowd.
It's basic commercial sense - if you have 2,200 potential customers in one place, and 800 in another, where do you devoter most resources?
That is why I think you are aiming at the wrong targets.
Take a look at the rest of our coverage. Manchester Phoenix ice hockey have an average crowd of 875, and Manchester Magic basketball get 600 at most (if they sell out) this season. Both these clubs get roughly ten times the coverage FCUM get, and over 20 times what Droylsden, Alty and the rest of our top non-league sides get.
Again, I have made this point strongly to anyone who will listen.
I see on one post that FC are accused of "promoting themselves" in areas other than where they play. In what way? And even if they do, where is the crime in that.
I know FC fans who will also go to Droylsden, Alty and so on, having caught the non-league bug, so it works both ways.
There is no conspiracy to steal everyone else's fans.
I just feel that other non-league fans who constantly take potshots at FCUM need to re-assess where they should be sniping.
Dons tin helmet ....

I am sure a few people may want to add their comments, the link to their site is:- http://www.bloodsforum.co.uk/
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team