PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thoughts on Next Season
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thoughts on Next Season  (Read 5084 times)

jimmyhank

Re: Thoughts on Next Season
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »

Top ten in the league and a few extra quid in the club coffers courtesy of a Cup run - that'll do me nicely.

RocketDan

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 07:34:12 PM »

I know it luck runs both ways but....

• If we had won a few more games at home to teams below us in the league, eg. Grays (draw), Ebbsfleet (draw) and Barrow (lost), then we would have gained an extra 7 points
  • If we didn't throw away silly leads against forest green then we would have got 6 points instead of 1.
  • If we could have held on against Mansfield away, then we would have got 3 points rather than 1.

realistically, we could have won all 6 games it would have put us on 68 points for the season, as it happened we only got 4 points and are on 54.

As for next year, I think a top 10 finish is possible. We have been steadily building over the last couple of years and with a 2 or 3 new players we can easily reach 60 point. Saying that, I wouldn't mind swapping finishing 19th for trip to Wembley in the FA Trophy.

RocketDan

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »

We have only had the double over us by Oxford

We have only done the double once this season (Hayes and Yeading).

Hayes and Yeading did the double over Oxford.

We are better than Oxford.

taxi Phil

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 07:57:15 PM »

First, a good start to the League season so that we have enough points in the bag to preclude the end of season "ten games in three weeks" scenario by the time we start our F.A.Cup Run.

Two easy home draws to get us to Round 3, then a "struggling giant" at Moss Lane in front of the cameras. I'll  settle for a replay and our exit at that point, but it would bring us a goodly amount of money, and with any luck a new influx of support.

It's overdue - bring it on !

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 08:41:24 PM »

First, a good start to the League season so that we have enough points in the bag to preclude the end of season "ten games in three weeks" scenario by the time we start our F.A.Cup Run.

Two easy home draws to get us to Round 3, then a "struggling giant" at Moss Lane in front of the cameras. I'll  settle for a replay and our exit at that point, but it would bring us a goodly amount of money, and with any luck a new influx of support.

It's overdue - bring it on !

To be fair, we've had more than our fair share of that so not sure we can say another one is overdue.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 08:54:10 PM »

My hopes for next season is that we hit the ground running as per this season and keep well away from an early season relegation dogfight.

Consolidation in the top half of the table by the end of Oct.  I think it is a big ask to hope that a part time club such as ours could establish itself in the top half dozen in the table, however with the return of Tom, Dale & Matty in the early part of next season who knows where we could be?

If we enjoy a season where we are not looking over our shoulder at what clubs below us are doing then I for one would be well satisfied.

A good cup run is imperative for the clubs finances and moral of the players and particulary the fans would be most welcome.

Also a tv channel will take up coverage of the BSP games and we could at least see the Southern half clubs play and hopefully occassionally the Outside broadcast truck's Satnav will throw a double six and park itself outside Moss Lane for a couple of games which again would be financially welcome..  I wonder where those bloody camera gantrys with the sh*tty hessian covers are kept  :D

Whilst Johnson should be fit for the start of next season, I would be amazed if we saw Kearney before Christmas, which will be a problem. As we saw last night with Brown at fault for the first two goals , Doughty is badly missed also. Injuries have cast a big shadow over the end of this season and I fear will continue to into next season.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2010, 09:39:44 PM »

This season has been great but we need to increase the home support back to 08/09 levels...........I reckon there have been plenty of regular faces missing from Moss Lane since Christmas.
There is a real danger the budget will have to be reduced if we don't and that could well just put us back to being relegation strugglers once more.

Talk of play-offs is only realistic with some quality additions to the side. They will need paying somehow.

Apologies for not being so upbeat
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Butty

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2010, 10:12:16 PM »

I genuinely feel that we will finish higher than this year, but short of the playoffs by 2 or 3 positions, however I would sacrifice 10 league positions for a 3rd round fa cup match or a trophy final

anglo alty

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 04:34:10 PM »

i think we have had a good season never in danger of relegation outside chance of a top ten for a squad of our size and playing budget i reckon thats a good achievment similar to wrexham and look at the difference in size. Most clubs jduring the close season will experience a lot of belt tigthening so i think we will be alright again, the gap between us and the rest is closing. i am looking forward to see how afc newport do on their return they won the south by a mile so must be considered a dark horse. alty would have been the next team to play the old newport county if they hadn't gone bust the programmes were even printed i have a copy.

andrewflynn

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »

I think we need to look at increasing home attendances next season, do everything we can to publicize games ect.

We are more than capable of achieving a top ten finish next year, but as people have stated a cup run would be immense!

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »

This season has been great but we need to increase the home support back to 08/09 levels...........I reckon there have been plenty of regular faces missing from Moss Lane since Christmas.
There is a real danger the budget will have to be reduced if we don't and that could well just put us back to being relegation strugglers once more.

Talk of play-offs is only realistic with some quality additions to the side. They will need paying somehow.

Apologies for not being so upbeat

Agree completely, but I also believe that our sound management of our finances will stand us in good stead in the season(s) ahead as other clubs have to release players and cut their own budgets.
The future is bright, and we have a lot to be thankful for as Alty fans.

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »

ChesterAlty...........I agree

We are the most experienced club in the division when it comes to managing a succesful team on a limited budget. There are other teams, who claim to have very small budgets too, but they are just blaggers.
Practice makes perfect as they say and this experience is now coming in very handy.

Mr Daish at Ebbsfleet is a good example of how some managers just cannot handle budget cuts.........working wonders, trophy winners and toast of the town with his expensive squad......but then he can't do much once the money goes....full time flops. If they stay up, at least he will have some experience though for next season
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thoughts on Next Season