PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thoughts on Next Season
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thoughts on Next Season  (Read 5088 times)

Jenga

Thoughts on Next Season
« on: April 21, 2010, 08:44:53 AM »

As of today we are 24 points from the play offs and 12 points from being relegated.

We have only had the double over us by Oxford and we have gained some really good results (draws) against the other top sides.

The issue I find is that we have had too many draws against the teams at the bottom of the table, but it is all horses for courses I guess.

If the team essentially stays the same and we can bring in a couple of new faces, with Dale fit and Kearney probably only fit in October/November I am hoping for another season of consolidation of mid table, perhaps looking to push the 60-65 points mark.

What are you realistically hoping to acheive next season for the Alty?

fuertes

Re: Thoughts on Next Season
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 08:50:23 AM »

Stay well clear of relegation, and get a little run in the Cup to generate some much needed wonga.

Anything other than relegation will be deemed adequate by me. Top half would be a great achievement.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »

If you count the Chester games then we have taken 40 of our 58 points from 11 teams in the bottom half and only 18 from 12 teams in the top half.
40 points from 22 games is a decent return. 18 from 24 is not.
I'm not criticising the performances or ho wthe team has done this year. I'm pround of what's been achieved.
But realistically if we are going to finish higher then we'd need to take more points off the teams in the middle of the table.

I think 10th is a realistic goal if the league standard stays the same. Mid-table will be fine (if a little short on exitement at this time of year).

Hopefully we can keep the bulk of the current squad together, get the injured players fit and maybe bring in one or two. Someone to fill Col's boots would be nice but that's a big ask.

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:32:54 AM »

Agreed, I think with a couple of additions (budget allowing) we could be pushing for 10th.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »

My aspirations for next season would be a similar season to this but with a trophy run to at least the QF* and a cup run that takes us to a premiership side for a live match (we can beat any old sh*t on the way)...out of the CSC first round and that'd be lovely.

* would sacrifice this for the FA Cup request please santa.

radcliffe alty

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »

Agreed, I think with a couple of additions (budget allowing) we could be pushing for 10th.

We're pushing for 10th on Saturday potentially!

I agree a season a solid consolidation will be excellent next season, with a cup run and fully fit Dale Johnson.

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:52:29 AM »

I'd accept the same again in the league next season but with a decent cup run thrown in for good measure.

I think we have a good strong squad albeit of part time players with a strong spine through the middle. That gives us a solidity that hasn't been available for the previous seasons, and apart from yesterday's disappointing 12 minutes of madness, no team has given us a real going over ?

Some of the results against the so called bigger (full time) teams have been a credit both to the players and management given the limited resources available.

Stuff the World Cup - Can't wait for next August for all the fun to start again !!

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 11:32:32 AM »

We're pushing for 10th on Saturday potentially!

I agree a season a solid consolidation will be excellent next season, with a cup run and fully fit Dale Johnson.

Ah, true!  ;)

Dougals Dad

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:26 PM »

I'd accept the same again in the league next season but with a decent cup run thrown in for good measure.

I think we have a good strong squad albeit of part time players with a strong spine through the middle. That gives us a solidity that hasn't been available for the previous seasons, and apart from yesterday's disappointing 12 minutes of madness, no team has given us a real going over ?

Some of the results against the so called bigger (full time) teams have been a credit both to the players and management given the limited resources available.

Stuff the World Cup - Can't wait for next August for all the fun to start again !!

Well said - its the Alty that really sets the juices flowing in this house.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »

I would love to see us in a play off position,but cannot see that happening just yet so a top half finish and a good cup run for me please.
Harold

JonnyKeen

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »

Cheshire Senior Cup Victory, FA Cup 3rd round and FA Trophy  Semi Finals with a 15th or higher league finish would be a dream season for me.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 01:48:24 PM »

Top half of the table with a few cup victories (I don't mind which one) and another striker to enable us to play more attacking football.
I know we have done incredibly well this year (and I will watch Alty for as long as I can whatever happens) there is no denying it has been frustrating at times!
Oh, and to finish above Wrexham.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 02:31:49 PM »

My hopes for next season is that we hit the ground running as per this season and keep well away from an early season relegation dogfight.

Consolidation in the top half of the table by the end of Oct.  I think it is a big ask to hope that a part time club such as ours could establish itself in the top half dozen in the table, however with the return of Tom, Dale & Matty in the early part of next season who knows where we could be?

If we enjoy a season where we are not looking over our shoulder at what clubs below us are doing then I for one would be well satisfied.

A good cup run is imperative for the clubs finances and moral of the players and particulary the fans would be most welcome.

Also a tv channel will take up coverage of the BSP games and we could at least see the Southern half clubs play and hopefully occassionally the Outside broadcast truck's Satnav will throw a double six and park itself outside Moss Lane for a couple of games which again would be financially welcome..  I wonder where those bloody camera gantrys with the sh*tty hessian covers are kept  :D

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »

Top half of the table with a few cup victories (I don't mind which one) and another striker to enable us to play more attacking football.
I know we have done incredibly well this year (and I will watch Alty for as long as I can whatever happens) there is no denying it has been frustrating at times!
Oh, and to finish above Wrexham.

Ditto!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 06:59:40 PM »

Top 10 IS acheiveable next season.  Over a season that's in our hands.We could well get amongst the playoff hangers on.

FA Cup run?  Who knows, a nice run of hom draws against Utter Pants FC and sure a 3rd game at a prem clus could happen, but we cann't control who we draw out of the hat. 

FA Trophy? almost identical to the above but add that there are not many conferences teams who would want to play us. on out day we can take them all on.

CSC? nice ol'd thing to win...but...

So, in summary.  Lets concentrate on what we can control.  More points, more wins, fewer yellow and red cards, fewer defeats, more fans, and a top 10 berth.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Thoughts on Next Season