PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Not as bad as originally thought ?
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Not as bad as originally thought ?  (Read 3854 times)

Setanta Santa

« on: December 06, 2008, 10:11:37 AM »

Given the response to the red card at the Rushden game I'd expected the challenge in question to be no more that a "slight nick" - but watching it on Setanta / Youtube it looks far less clear cut that the ref got it badly wrong.

I'd agree that some refs would only have given a yellow, but it really wasn't so bad a decision that the players and fans should take their mind off winning the match for the remainder of the game - and thus ensure the match was lost.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=t9v2GMNHPeU

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Not as bad as originally thought ?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »

clearly a yellow, if his foot had been raised I would agree with you but it as scrapping the pitch
Bernard Taylors barmy army

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »

At least a yellow, there player would have got a gold medal for that in the summer.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:17:33 AM by Darren »
@AltyDaz

Butty

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:53:52 AM »

Aside from that it does appear that we are not making a number of 'second phase' balls, which it looks like we were punished for.
With regards to the sending off, does certainly look very harsh, and did anyone see their 4th goal? ???

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »

Just one of countless decisions that the referee got wrong last Saturday though.
Typified by his complete lack of awareness of one of his assistant referees during the second half.

Ross Joyce had a nightmare.
He should know it (but probably thinks he gave an exemplary display).
The spectators certainly knew it.
And I suspect that the refereeing assessors, who were sitting not far from me in the main stand, knew it, too.

However, I do concur that we did tend to lapse into self-pity during the second half and rather gave up the ghost.
The third and fourth goals were defensive calamities.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:22:52 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 12:21:14 PM »

It's as I thought at the time. Densmore was shaping to play the ball. Johnson has played it into space for him, ok a little underhit, and as Shaun shaped to play the Rushden player taps the ball. Densmore is already committed and clips him. Ref only gets one look whereas i've watched it five or six times. I don't know the rule book inside out but should it even have been a booking? Is the anything unsportsmanlike in try to play a ball that was intended for you only to find someone else got there first?

On the other hand I challenge anyone though to try watching the clip and watching both players at the same time. If you saw a player slide in and another one go flying over his boot, and you were a touch trigger happy, you might just go for your red card.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »

It looks a worse tackle than it did at the time and is indeed definately, rathetr than probably as I thought, a yellow card.

markecky

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

Couldn't make Rushden  (will be there for the Barrow defeat) but looking at the looks like Ralph didn't have the mot commanding of games.

Get Stuart back in for me, especially if todays defeat is a heavy one.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 03:10:17 PM »

Couldn't make Rushden  (will be there for the Barrow defeat) but looking at the looks like Ralph didn't have the mot commanding of games.

Hmmm...

Possibly a little unfair on Ralph, I feel.
Some referees may well have given a free kick for the aerial challenge that led to the first goal and his defence rather went AWOL for the third goal from the corner.
Then everybody simply stood back and watched Burgess weave his way through and plant a shot in the net for the fourth.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2008, 03:11:22 PM »

Couldn't make Rushden  (will be there for the Barrow defeat) but looking at the goals look like Ralph didn't have the most commanding of games.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2008, 03:59:57 PM »

It looks a worse tackle than it did at the time and is indeed definately, rathetr than probably as I thought, a yellow card.

I agree with this completley
ParkINson's red and white army

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2008, 04:38:32 PM »

I agree with this completley
I disagree. I don't think it was even a yellow. I think it was made worse by the dramatic fall by the Rushden. I admit that Ralph doesn't appear to have been fouled on the first goal.
That's the trouble with us refs we are just not consistant with our decisions.
They really should be beating teams like us

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2008, 09:45:47 PM »

It's as I thought at the time. Densmore was shaping to play the ball. Johnson has played it into space for him, ok a little underhit, and as Shaun shaped to play the Rushden player taps the ball. Densmore is already committed and clips him. Ref only gets one look whereas i've watched it five or six times. I don't know the rule book inside out but should it even have been a booking? Is the anything unsportsmanlike in try to play a ball that was intended for you only to find someone else got there first?

On the other hand I challenge anyone though to try watching the clip and watching both players at the same time. If you saw a player slide in and another one go flying over his boot, and you were a touch trigger happy, you might just go for your red card.

Ian, in the opinion of the Referee

If a challenge is reckless then a Yellow Card is appropriate.

If a challenge is "likely to endanger the safety of an opponent" a Red Card is appropriate

The issue of "sportsmanlike" should no longer form any part of the decision process

alty.fc

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2008, 09:31:44 AM »

Did any one watch MOTD and see the yellow in the Arsenal v wigan game? A 2 footed lunge from behind.... yellow card... as said before there has never been consistancy.
Come on you red and white........

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2008, 01:25:50 PM »

Where something is (quite correctly in my view) down to the opinion of the Referee it is unlikely that you will get 100% consistency.

As has become fairly evident from discussion of this incident different Alty fans have different views of Shauns challenge so it is not beyond the realms of possibility that different Referees may see any individual incident in differing ways.

I saw the challenge for the first time on the Setanta round up linked to at the top of this thread and, whilst not saying that the Red card was irrefutably the correct outcome I can see why he may have come to the decision that he did.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team