News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Centre Half On His Way

Author Topic: Centre Half On His Way  (Read 3408 times)

altyf

Centre Half On His Way
« on: July 03, 2008, 10:31:44 PM »

Pre-season training starts in earnest for Alty players this weekend as they go for a four-day retreat to Mottram Hall to get them in top shape... Graham Heathcote is also hoping to wrap up the signing of a new centre-half at the weekend with some minor details simply needing to be resolved before the player can put pen to paper. After that the Robins boss envisages one, possibly two more players arriving at Moss Lane before the start of the new campaign" reports the Sale and Altrincham Messenger

Longman

Re: Centre Half On His Way
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 10:37:33 PM »

Would say we need another defender as well, if not two!  Especially considering Battersby can play in midfield.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:13:08 PM »

has ryan shotton gone anywhere? what about a seasons loan ? i heard peterborough but could not see any mention on their sites

Longman

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 11:45:26 PM »

has ryan shotton gone anywhere? what about a seasons loan ? i heard peterborough but could not see any mention on their sites

Surely he must be destined for bigger things.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:03:57 AM »

Just let us keep kidding ourselves for a bit longer.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:08:07 AM »

Gary Talbot recalled for his third spell at Moss Lane?
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »

Surely he must be destined for bigger things.

Maybe one of them deals where he is bought then loaned out for a whole season for 'experience'. Would be great.

Alty365

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 09:09:21 PM »

As much as I'd love to see Ryan Shotton join Alty I think there is more chance of Northwich living within their means!  :)

joe

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:12:53 PM »

Gary Talbot recalled for his third spell at Moss Lane?

More chance of Peter Band for a third spell if the rumourmil is correct

ASMO

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • oxfords barbers
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:44:33 PM »

could do worse than bandy didn't think tinson was any improvment on peter myself

Alty365

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 11:20:32 PM »

""Alty are on the verge of replacing departed captain Darren Tinson, with a new centre half expected at the club by Monday" claims SAM. "Plugging the gap at the heart of the Robins defence has become manager Graham Heathcote's priority since Tinson joined Nantwich Town last month... 'Hopefully, over the weekend, I'll be able to get a firm answer from a centre half we've been chasing for a while now', said Heathcote. 'He's making the move from full-time to part-time football so there's just a few things he needs to sort out before it all goes through'. "

This would seem to rule out Bandy.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:22:48 PM by Alty365 »

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 02:59:21 AM »

At the risk of ostracising myself. Ryan SHotton was not the finished article. YEs he was very good and versatile but I a) do not expect Stoke to loan him to a conference club and b) do not think he was as rock solid as some see to think.

I was certainly ok with him playing right back last season. Even if it did cost us goals like Slaisbury at home.

Our best centre half last season was Greg Young by an absolute country mile.

p.s. Ryan, I do love you though!  :-*

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 08:52:42 AM »

Whilst taking your point Ballers and, agreeing that he wasn't by any manner or means the finished article he was a better bet at centre back than at least one of the alternatives.

I never did understand why the positions in which players had played (generally very successfully) had be be altered to ensure that a certain individual played.

We should have played the best Right Back (Chris Lane) at Right Back, the best two Centre Backs (Shotton and Young) at Centre Back and someone left footed and stable at left back

but we didn't

and conceded lots of goals

and finished in a relegation spot

Longman

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 11:17:39 AM »

Whilst taking your point Ballers and, agreeing that he wasn't by any manner or means the finished article he was a better bet at centre back than at least one of the alternatives.

I never did understand why the positions in which players had played (generally very successfully) had be be altered to ensure that a certain individual played.

We should have played the best Right Back (Chris Lane) at Right Back, the best two Centre Backs (Shotton and Young) at Centre Back and someone left footed and stable at left back

but we didn't

and conceded lots of goals

and finished in a relegation spot

Very true, we always looked weaker when Shotton was at right back, rather than centre back.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Centre Half On His Way