PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TRIALLIST
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: TRIALLIST  (Read 4067 times)

taxi Phil

TRIALLIST
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:33:33 PM »

According to the Manchester Evening News, Altrincham are giving a trial to midfielder Adam Carden. brother of Cambridge United's Paul. Adam has been "unexpectedly released" by FCUM. He is generally thought of as one of their outstanding players, but has apparently had an altercation with one of FCUM's backroom staff.

Chorley, Witton Albion, and Southport (for whom he has played previously) are all interested.

He has already trained with the squad, and watched the Barrow game. Graham has yet to decide whether to make him an offer.

He can apparently also play in defence. There's nothing on the Club site, so regard the whole thing with a degree of caution - but he does sound interesting.

fuertes

Re: TRIALLIST
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »

I do a little bit of Non-League scouting. Carden is/was well-liked at FCUM, generally thought to have been their best ever player (short history/low standard I know). Would certainly be of some interest. He's no spring chicken though, is he? Would have thought he's 30+ now...

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:15:02 PM »

The only concern might be whether or not he's got a bit of an attitude problem given the circumstances surrounding his departure from FCUM.

If he's good enough then bring it on!
Come on Alty!

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 02:35:02 PM »

Its a huge step up for the lad from minor league football,but its good that we're giving him a chance to try and play at a national level.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 03:16:34 PM »

I am all for giving players from the lower echelons a trial .. You never know, you could unearth a gem.  At the end of the day it does no harm whatsoever to have a look at them.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »

Call me mischievous but isn't this a scenario where a Reserve Team might have been useful?

Butty

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 05:37:29 PM »

I've heard from a very reliable source (the FCUM managers son) that we were getting 'a class winger who'll be amazing'. Although given his assessment of Carlos Roca as 'awesome'.......

andrewflynn

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »

I don't see the league he used to play in as an issue considering Danylyk came from Leek?

fuertes

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 06:58:08 PM »

Call me mischievous but isn't this a scenario where a Reserve Team might have been useful?

Very much so, but over the course of a season would we get enough out of having a reserve team for it to be financially viable? I wouldn't have thought so. Ideally we'd still have been in the CSC and the Setanta Shield would still exist. We could have given him a run-out there. Still, if he's got something about him he'll show it in training and in a couple of cameo sub appearances in the league/FA Trophy.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 08:16:41 PM »

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm sure I recall from somewhere that the club were intending to arrange periodic friendlies to replace the reserve programme for exactly the reason stated above, ie to preview triallists and also to give fringe players an occasional run out.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 11:59:42 PM »

Perhaps I'm wrong but I'm sure I recall from somewhere that the club were intending to arrange periodic friendlies to replace the reserve programme for exactly the reason stated above, ie to preview triallists and also to give fringe players an occasional run out.

SW,

You are not wrong.

They seemed to dry up very quickly.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 04:37:04 AM »

I'm sure we could have got friendlies fixed up when we had those two empty Cup Round Saturdays. However, I can understand the reluctance of the Club to arrange these games with such a thin squad. There aren't actually many players at Moss Lane who aren't getting a run out. It's Saunders I feel sorry for.

bighairedmike

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 11:33:41 AM »

I don't see the league he used to play in as an issue considering Danylyk came from Leek?

Exactly. That was my first reaction when reading distancetravellers post but you beat me to it.

andrewflynn

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:02:11 PM »

Exactly. That was my first reaction when reading distancetravellers post but you beat me to it.

We've not even signed the guy yet! But if we do i'm sure he'll get his chance, and you never know he may become a great addition to the team, just like Danylyk has been.

York Alty

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 10:56:15 PM »

the thing about friendlies is...you have to find a team who want to play you.

easier said than done, especially when you have the crimbo / new year fixtures looming, add in a couple of injuries and suspensions & suddenly the potential starts to dry up.  move on another month and there may be a short window of opportunity before managers start to get edgy about risking players in the run up to play offs / relegation fights.  I think if we get more than one friendly arranged we'd be doing very well.

have a look at players in training, weigh them up there, have a feel for how they would add to the entire squad and backroom staff.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 TRIALLIST