Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Anyone know the Alty supporter who was on BBC Four's Only Connect last night?

Author Topic: Anyone know the Alty supporter who was on BBC Four's Only Connect last night?  (Read 3866 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Does anyone know or has anyone heard of a gentleman by the name of Paul Steeples, who was introduced as "an Altrincham FC supporter" on last evening's edition of this programme?

Fast forward to circa 45 seconds into the broadcast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017j25s/Only_Connect_Series_5_Analysts_vs_Trade_Unionists/

At least his team won (and, thereby, reached the Final), too!

Apparently, he was the runner-up in the 2009 Brain of Britain contest.

Incidentally, Victoria Coren would always be welcome at Moss Lane.....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Does anyone know or has anyone heard of a gentleman by the name of Paul Steeples, who was introduced as "an Altrincham FC supporter" on last evening's edition of this programme? Fast forward to circa 45 seconds into the broadcast:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017j25s/Only_Connect_Series_5_Analysts_vs_Trade_Unionists/    At least his team won (and, thereby, reached the Final), too! Apparently, he was the runner-up in the 2009 Brain of Britain contest. Incidentally, Victoria Coren would always be welcome at Moss Lane..... 

Don't know who it was, Cult, but I'm SURE that I won the Brian of Britain that year.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Leon

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Does anyone know or has anyone heard of a gentleman by the name of Paul Steeples, who was introduced as "an Altrincham FC supporter" on last evening's edition of this programme?

Fast forward to circa 45 seconds into the broadcast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017j25s/Only_Connect_Series_5_Analysts_vs_Trade_Unionists/

At least his team won (and, thereby, reached the Final), too!

Apparently, he was the runner-up in the 2009 Brain of Britain contest.

Incidentally, Victoria Coren would always be welcome at Moss Lane.....

He's a regular at games in the South, although I've not seen him for a little while. I had a brief chat with him at Eastbourne one year, just after I'd seen him win a heat of Mastermind...

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

I watched the entire show - but still can't place him...

although I do agree that Victoria Coren does need to broaden her knowledge of north west non league football (fans)

But it is good to see Alty reaching a final (straws, clutching at..)

RageAgainstTheFirstTeam

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Does anyone know or has anyone heard of a gentleman by the name of Paul Steeples, who was introduced as "an Altrincham FC supporter" on last evening's edition of this programme? Fast forward to circa 45 seconds into the broadcast:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b017j25s/Only_Connect_Series_5_Analysts_vs_Trade_Unionists/    At least his team won (and, thereby, reached the Final), too! Apparently, he was the runner-up in the 2009 Brain of Britain contest. Incidentally, Victoria Coren would always be welcome at Moss Lane..... 

Don't know who it was, Cult, but I'm SURE that I won the Brian of Britain that year.

Don't lie, Brian Flynn won Brian of Britain last year, narrowly defeating Brian Summerskill in the final.
"You have to be something in life, so you might as well just be what you want." Keith Davey at Histon, 2012.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Don't lie, Brian Flynn won Brian of Britain last year, narrowly defeating Brian Summerskill in the final.

Last year was 2010!  ;) ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

He's back in action in this evening's Final:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017zn45

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

roytonmike

And his team won!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

And his team won!

He wasn't too hot on identifying a certain Siouxsie & The Banshees song though, was he...?!

Ignoramus.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

In September 1978, Stafford Rangers ran out to Hong Kong Garden before our 1-1 draw at Marston Road,  the game in which Tommy Cavanagh saved a penalty.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

In September 1978, Stafford Rangers ran out to Hong Kong Garden before our 1-1 draw at Marston Road,  the game in which Tommy Cavanagh saved a penalty.

Bill,

Even by your own extremely high standards, that is truly an impeccable piece of Alty-related trivia.

Onlyconnect

I am that soldier. I used to go to lots of Alty games within reach of London (I live there and I can't drive), but the last one I was at was at Hayes & Yeading last season. You can see me waving my arms about like a loon in the picture of the penalty going in on the Alty site. People possibly couldn't recognise me off the TV because (i) my hair is usually longer than that and (ii) I tend to lurk about on my own. My dad still lives in Alty and has a season ticket, but every time I go up there, they're either away or the game is frozen off. We're both Patrons too, so you can find my name in the programme (or so my dad says, anyway).

And on Siouxsie & the Banshees - yes, it's a fair cop...

Paul

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Siouxsie Sioux, now you're talking, used to have this poster on my wall (not a great image of it though):

Last link died a death, but this a better reproduction of the poster anyway
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:27:00 PM by Uncle Globnasty »
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Anyone know the Alty supporter who was on BBC Four's Only Connect last night?