Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 The season so far, not all doom and gloom!!

Author Topic: The season so far, not all doom and gloom!!  (Read 1902 times)

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 31, 2011, 09:12:52 AM »

Can i just open this by saying that this is not all doom and gloom currently.

First, lets compare how we are playing with how we played last season. Too many occasions last season we resorted to the hoof ball out of defence, more through fear of conceding than anything else. This season we are playing the ball on the ground, with many neat passes between players, and stringing 5/6 passes together close up, and moving the ball about a bit. Sometimes it breaks down, sometimes it doesnt - this happens to all clubs who play this type of game, MUFC being one of them. We are also playing skillfull passing moves and also great footwork, in particular from Nicky Clee. We are imaginative, not afraid to try new things, but a new team trying to gel, with a new manager also. We do have a leakiness in defence on occasions but I do believe this will be sorted as it is slightly out of balance as we try new combinations etc. It may mean a new player signed, or just by further juggling until the right combination is found. I have found Lee Sinnott to be excellant so far and have no real complaints. Our forwards are scoring goals now, and that includes Michael Twiss, who I think has been very good this season. Classic centre forwards goal last Monday, and the cross for Damiens goal was a peach. Scored one and made one. We also have Astley champing at the bit and wanting to prove himself, but it will take time. Lee used him a little more last game but he still has a lot to learn. He is a very fast player, the type I enjoy watching and will come good in the not too distant future. Lee will use him sensibly but he is not yet ready to start games. I do think he needs the last 20-30 minutes of games on a regular basis to help his development though.

We could make one or two more signings, but Lee will wait until the transfer window closes and get the best available who have not signed to any club, as we have no transfer window to worry about.

Finally, when have you seen a poor Alty game this season, apart from patches in the Workington game. Once this team gels, they will be a very good side to watch, and i hope will finish in the top five. Hyde may have peaked too early, and will possibly lose their forward - one man team who narrowly beat us from what I can gather. I can see clearly where we are heading, and the improvement from how we played last season is vast. All I ask is they stick to their guns and do not let one or two bad results sap their confidence, I dont think Lee will let that happen though.

Keep playing the ball on the ground, and passing it the way you are doing. Sort out our defending and we will be a great side in this league. Try and get more funds in the bank from an FA cup run. This league isnt tin-pot, there are some good sides in it who play a much better standard than previous seasons, but we can more than match all of them.

Give it a little more time and we will come good, and we have more points than the previous season at this stage! One more thing, watch our discipline, last Monday I put this down to fustration at the refereeing decisions during the game, some of which were bizarre to say the least.

Heads up everybody, we are not doing that badly, and we seem to have played the most competitive teams in the last couple of weeks! Lots of clubs who do well, have shaky starts at the beginning, and some clubs tail off after flying off the starting blocks, we are the former. I have noticed we applaud more after games than we did last season, in acknowledgment of the efforts the players put in. This last Monday after a draw. Despite the result not quite going our way, we could see where we were heading and the effort our players put in.

So its not all doom and gloom everybody, but I am enjoying this season, the football standard of the opposition is just much better than anticipated. We just need time to match and better it!!

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: The season so far, not all doom and gloom!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »

Very positive and thoughtful summary as usual Steve,....have a G

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »

Great post.

Number23

• Regular First Team
  • 23 of 100
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:58:40 PM »

Great post.

Of course results are important but surely we want the results to come (mostly) through quality play. The quality has to come first and there are good signs that this is coming.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 01:07:21 AM »

Good positive.....but also balanced...... post.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team