PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Smallest away followings.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Smallest away followings.  (Read 6934 times)

RocketDan

« on: December 11, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »

In what is probably the worst away support since Histon's trip to Wrexham, Udinese only had one travelling supporter at Sampdoria for a Seria A clash on Monday night.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/udinese-cheered-serie-match-precisely-one-fan-152055117.html

So what's the smallest away following you've ever been apart of with Alty? Has anyone on here been the only fan away fan at alty match?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:04:08 PM by The Golf Road Grumbler »

taxi Phil

Re: Smallest away followings.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:57:46 PM »

Not with Alty, but I was on holiday in Torquay in 1959 when Bury came to Plainmoor. Naturally I went to cheer them on.  They had a sprinkling of supporters in the stand........but I was apparently the only one cheering them from the terraces. Didn't help - lost 2-1.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »

Sure I've been part of sub-20 away followings at numerous places. Back in the late 80s/early 90s away support wasn't anywhere near as good as today in terms of numbers.
Merthyr on a Tuesday night, Gateshead on numerous Wednesday nights and Yeovil a couple of days before Christmas 1990 all spring to mind.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

bighairedmike

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:53:51 PM »

Didn't Dagenham have one solitary fan at an away game in the conference? Possibly Southport? There is a fantastic photo of it somewhere, maybe even on this forum. The guy hadn't missed a game in something daft like 27 years either.

Timperley The Best

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:58:30 PM »

Away support wasnnt  great in the 8os at all

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »

Didn't Dagenham have one solitary fan at an away game in the conference? Possibly Southport? There is a fantastic photo of it somewhere, maybe even on this forum. The guy hadn't missed a game in something daft like 27 years either.

Close. It was a Leigh fan who was the only one at Dagenham. That picture I think is folklore on the conference forums.
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

markecky

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 11:10:42 PM »

Here he is...with a steward in case he goes right off...

York Alty

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:27:28 PM »

is it worse to have one fan than none?  If nobody turns up there's a few possible excuses (bus broke down) but when one turns up it adds to the kind of desperation!

bighairedmike

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »

Nasha, Ecky, that's the one that I'm on about. Sensational scenes.

Unless i'm much mistaken only a couple of years ago (possibly 08 time) fulham took 85 fans or so to Wigan on a Tuesday night. This always sticks in my mind as we had more than that going to Torquay on the Tuesday night around it. No matter where you stand, thats pretty piss poor!

Altyroo

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »

I remember going to Barrow for an FA Trophey replay, we lost, Jeff Wealands in goal for Barrow. There was only a handfull of Alty fans there.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 03:39:07 PM »

We had 23 stood up at Torquay on valentines day a few years back, that included my missus and jimmys missus who were there for the valentines weekend in Torquay..... Had we had prior knowledge of the team we were to put out that dat We would have gone Paris instead 

York Alty

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 04:25:07 PM »

Macc took double figures to a league cup game, I think Birmingham about 10 years ago.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »

We had 23 stood up at Torquay on valentines day a few years back, that included my missus and jimmys missus who were there for the valentines weekend in Torquay..... Had we had prior knowledge of the team we were to put out that dat We would have gone Paris instead 

The Tuesday night game the year before I recall we took about 3 times that number. We can't have ever played a midweek game further from Alty I'd assume.

Nasha

• Regular First Team
  • Rocky
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:14 PM »

When I did a clear out of my old programmes in the summer, I decided to keep ones that brings back memories, and that Torquay one is one of them. Just moved to another office at work on the Monday and told them I'd be off Tuesday and Wednesday as I was going to Torquay for about 3 hours then coming home!!
'Life isn't fair.If is was,it would be called fair.But it's not.It's called life'

Tony Adams after Euro 96

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 12:34:35 AM »

I remember going to Barrow for an FA Trophey replay, we lost, Jeff Wealands in goal for Barrow. There was only a handfull of Alty fans there.

Mind you, back in those dark times, it was advisable to adopt a disguise when you had to venture to Barrow....
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team