PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sky Sports in the bar
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sky Sports in the bar  (Read 5101 times)

baldrick

Sky Sports in the bar
« on: August 12, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »

Excellent news. Sky Sports will be installed in the club bar. This will be a definite money earner if they extend the opening hours for lunch time and 5.15 kick offs.

Alex

Re: Sky Sports in the bar
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 05:32:44 PM »

This is great news, everyone who usually drinks in the town before a game should try and use the bar instead. After all it goes to the club and nt the local landlord

joe

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

Fantastic news! I will definately drink in the club bar pre match if there's a live game on.

The Red Baron

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 06:05:03 PM »

This is good news, I've watched a couple of games in the bar in the past and I quite like it  :)

Will the bar ever open on non match days though e.g. champions league games?

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 09:10:11 PM »

Well at circa £400 a month for the licence people better get down there and drink like billy-o.

Even if it breaks even it will give the club more of a bond with its supporters.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 09:36:02 PM »

I've said before if the club bar could become like a social club, open most if not all nights it would be a massive boost. Yes, I've heard the arguments against but think on. A real ale or two, Sky TV perhaps a dartboard. Times not too geat just now but if that could be sustained a cash injection to the club plus even more exposure locally.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 09:37:38 PM »

I've said before if the club bar could become like a social club, open most if not all nights it would be a massive boost. Yes, I've heard the arguments against but think on. A real ale or two, Sky TV perhaps a dartboard. Times not too geat just now but if that could be sustained a cash injection to the club plus even more exposure locally.

Exactly, we need to start somewhere and it's a bit of a gamble but he who dares wins.

Just fear the clubhouse is a tad small and there is a lack of parking, but go for it I say!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 11:07:27 PM »

Exactly, we need to start somewhere and it's a bit of a gamble but he who dares wins.

Just fear the clubhouse is a tad small and there is a lack of parking, but go for it I say!

If the money ever became available we should build an extention to the supporters club where the mausoleum is now and also incoorporate into the plans a permanent structure for our club shop, ideally with an entrance to both from Moss Lane. The supporters club could then have a pool table, dartboard and a supersize big screen to show live football most nights of the week.

I think the key to all this is in the first 6 words of my post though..........

Just think of the amount of footy that's going to be on during the World Cup next summer - there is serious money to be made from showing live football regularly if it's done well.
Come on Alty!

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 11:50:01 PM »

In theory an extremely good plan!

Who's gonna work in the bar (including all the nasty cleaning up jobs)?

Will we make enough to pay them and still make a profit?

HONESTLY not being negative but there are a lot of alternatives available on a night when we aren't actually at home which could impact on this.

Let's do what we've done for a good few years now..live within our means. Relish the additional income potential from getting SKY Sports and then when we've consolidated on that look to expand...Euro 2012 anyone?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:49 AM »

We need to clone Jenny Heslop ASAP.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 08:36:19 AM »

HONESTLY not being negative but there are a lot of alternatives available on a night when we aren't actually at home which could impact on this.

Let's do what we've done for a good few years now..live within our means. Relish the additional income potential from getting SKY Sports and then when we've consolidated on that look to expand...Euro 2012 anyone?

I dont think we have the infrastructure at Moss Lane to stage that, just yet    :D ;)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57:05 AM »

This is top, top news as far as i'm concerned. A lot of us have complained and asked for this for a while now. It is imperative therefore that we now use the bar when games are on to make this viable. Remember, get your mates down even if they aren't watching our game as well. Better than nowt.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »

I  think we need a little more ambition than that to try and keep up with the big boys.

I don't mean bank rolling Daryl Clare but surely the wage of a young bar person can be covered by the scoops we sell? I'm not going to pretend I know the maths on current bar wages etc but at the current size of the clubhouse we would only need one person on?

At our level an extra couple of hundred pounds a week counts and if it gives someone a bit of extra employment (and maybe a new fan?) then it is worth a go.

There is no outlay lost if it doesn't work out.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:23:37 AM by RockyRobin »

ArmchairAlty

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »

Just think of the amount of footy that's going to be on during the World Cup next summer - there is serious money to be made from showing live football regularly if it's done well.

Agreed, getting the World Cup games on next Summer could be a good money spinner for sure

JT

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 11:47:46 AM »

I do think this will really benefit the club, and it would be great to see the bar progress and open more and encourage more people to come down to the club for a drink.

However, corerct me if i'm wrong, but aren't all saturday 5.15 kick offs on ESPN and not Sky?
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Sky Sports in the bar