PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the BIGGEST alty game?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: the BIGGEST alty game?  (Read 17921 times)

altyf

Re: the BIGGEST alty game?
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 10:25:28 PM »

I literally couldnt believe my eyes when he did that!

A game that sticks in my memory was Whitby away towards the end of Unibond season and we were both around 14th/15th and trying desperately to get into the top 13. I think we won 3-2 (it was definitely by one goal) and Aspinall scored a pen. Also think an Alty player smacked into the advertising boards early on in the game and was substituted. Anyway, they had a goal cleared off the line in the last minute, only for a photograph to later prove that it may well have been over the line. I can't help but believe that if that goal had been given we may not have made it to the Conf North. Perhaps not as extraordinary as BPA away when we were 1-0 down with 2 mins to go and not really as important as Runcorn but still a crucial game in my opinion.

If I remember it was 3 2 and I believe that the player carried off was Kieren Lugsden.
I thought it may have been Lugsden, before it hit me that he may have been about 12 at the time!

george

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 11:00:36 PM »

It was KIERAN LUGSDEN because I accompanied him to hospital in the ambulance. Whilst he was there he gave the best display of projectile vomiting ever seen. Eventually to be sorted with a fractured wrist.

Foz

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2008, 11:10:24 PM »

It was KIERAN LUGSDEN because I accompanied him to hospital in the ambulance. Whilst he was there he gave the best display of projectile vomiting ever seen. Eventually to be sorted with a fractured wrist.

Whoops my apologies to Kieran for spelling his name wrong!

Thanks for confirming the details George.

thegazelle

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2008, 02:42:48 AM »

ronnie ellis , barry howard's sister and now george all in one week . its getting too much for me

Jacko

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 08:37:22 AM »

tottenham game for me, it just felt surreal, klinnsman and co, those were the days they sold alty shirts in the precint allsports
flip side was bishop auckland at moss lane in the fa cup, horses getting punched in the eye and sheperd getting sent off for smacking his old team mate >:(

Railway Alty

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 11:06:19 AM »

I've been a regular since 89-90 and one of my earliest Alty memories was the infamous 2-1 defeat at Stafford, all those Alty fans heading off down the M6, we must have had 1000 plus at Stafford that day, but not to be, we had such an amzing team that year. 28 league games unbeaten (still the Conference record I think?) and we still didn't go up.
IIRC the crowd that day was 2500 and Stafford reckoned there were only 800 -1000 home fans, we took over both sides of their clubhouse and yes the M6 was a sea of red and white what a brilliant sight that was.
Does anyone remember the 2 special trains to Wembly for the Leatherhead final iirc they both stretched right the way round past what is now Tescos, me and my mates nearly missed it on the way back, Scaggys nearly got lifted for giving a woman copper the biggest snog he had ever given (for a 16 year old it took some bottle, or he may have just been pissed) plus we were celebrating at every off licence we could  ;D. I also believe that nearly every coach available from the Greater Manchester area headed to to the twin towers that day, i remember when i got back my parents said it was the easiest days shopping they had ever had, Alty was a ghost town
« Last Edit: January 29, 2008, 11:09:22 AM by Railway Alty »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »

tottenham game for me, it just felt surreal, klinnsman and co, those were the days they sold alty shirts in the precint allsports
flip side was bishop auckland at moss lane in the fa cup, horses getting punched in the eye and sheperd getting sent off for smacking his old team mate >:(

I don't recall George Shepherd being sent off against Bishop Auckland in that infamous game but he did commit the foul that gave them the penalty which led to them winning 1-0.

The only "smacking" took place after the game outside the Noel White Suite and on Moss Lane as Bishop Auckland were boarding their coach and followed some comments made to Shepherd by a BA player as he left the NWS.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 11:53:21 AM »

Mr Cult,

Was the penalty not for a VERY dubious handball rather than a foul?

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 11:55:06 AM »

Mr Cult,

Was the penalty not for a VERY dubious handball rather than a foul?

ATS,

I think you are correct there.

The main thing I recall is the bitter irony that it had to be Shepherd of all people who conceded the penalty.

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

markecky

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 12:18:12 PM »

I was stood next to the door at the NWS when that happened..one of their players shouted something to Shepherd and he chased after him and they had a fight in the street next to the coach.

Was Ian Horrigan (footballer and boxer) at the club then?

If so he destroyed about five of them on his own!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 12:43:51 PM »

I was stood next to the door at the NWS when that happened..one of their players shouted something to Shepherd and he chased after him and they had a fight in the street next to the coach.

Was Ian Horrigan (footballer and boxer) at the club then?

If so he destroyed about five of them on his own!

Ecky,

The comment I remember hearing from a Bishop Auckland player to George Shepherd was:
"Don't take up boxing, George".

Chaos was then unleashed!

My favourite moment of the whole melee came when Mark Harris was trying to get an irate Les Attwood to calm down:

Mark Harris:

"Stop swearing, Les!"

Les Attwood:

"I am NOT f**king swearing....!"

Priceless.

markecky

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 02:03:12 PM »

That was exactly the quote!

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2008, 03:11:59 PM »

Always like this being talked about as I was in the sponsor lounge with NTL and awarded the man of the match to George Shepherd ,, It was never announced  though for some strange reason ;)

Also watching Kingy pointing at a women copper who has blood pouring down her face and shouting at the EX BA chairmn who was sat infront of me and next to a couple of VERY big policemen "Thats out of order, I don't mind the bloke coppers getting tw*tted like that but thats a women for gods sake" ... Must say it was very scary watching John King lose it, even if he wasnt shouting at me it wasn't nice.

oh and add to that the announcement of "Don't get involved or go over to them" ,... YIP !

Ronnie E

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2008, 12:06:23 AM »

My biggest allty game was enfield in the semi final of the fa trophy at alty which we won 2-0 and i suppose birmingham was a great achievement we had a great team then and to this day i am still very dissapointed that it does not get the media attention it deserves.When giant killings come on match of the day when was the last time alty where mentioned!never

Wilmslow Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2008, 05:49:24 AM »

Runcorn Boxing Day 1998 was also a big game. I think that was the game when we reliased we could win the league.

That would be when Coburn saved a penalty and scored a goal in the same match!  ;D
Acton_Alty has now moved to Chiswick...Wilmslow!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the BIGGEST alty game?