PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the BIGGEST alty game?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: the BIGGEST alty game?  (Read 17915 times)

thegazelle

Re: the BIGGEST alty game?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »

colne was worse for the reason the players didnt look like they gave a sh*te, i dont think i went to the FA cup game at towlaw so probably wasnt as hurt because i didnt witness it.

i did i think go to Tow Law for a trophy game . all i recall is that it was the coldest i have ever been i swear their keeper kicked the ball and it blew behind him for a corner, if it was like that for the FA cup game then i was probably numb with cold and didnt feel de feet (as we say in Ghana). I was so cold i blagged my way into the directors box for the second half much the confusion of our directors who were too polite to have me evicted. great corned beef hash pie at half time in the board room. i am too shy to do things like that these days. i suppose i got my payback when the alty directors asked me to leave the board room at weymouth (new ground) only to find i was quite legitimately there as a guest of the weymouth chairman (so stick that up yer arse gerry).

anyone any stories on boardroom /sponsor/ground crashing
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 04:23:43 PM by thegazelle »

Altyroo

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 04:59:13 PM »

For me biggest game was Tottenham in the FA Cup. The best has to be beating Barnet 4-1 to go top of the league in 91. It was great to think we were going to win the conference (whilst it lasted).

Alty TV

• Regular First Team
  • Alty TV
    • View Profile
    • Alty TV
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »

For me
Biggest in terms of highest profile would be the Liverpool game - best team in the world at the time
Biggest as in best achievement - Birmingham were a very poor side strugling at the bottom of the 1st division (a great win none the less) but the draws at Everton and Tottenham were, for me,  greater achievements.
Most important - without doubt the win against Runcorn to qualify for the conf North, but I agree that the wins against Nuneaton and Kettering in the play-offs were more important than the Eastborne final.

Railway Alty

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »

For me biggest game was Tottenham in the FA Cup. The best has to be beating Barnet 4-1 to go top of the league in 91. It was great to think we were going to win the conference (whilst it lasted).

Agree the Barnet game for me has to up there along with leatherhead at Wembly. Still dreaming of the 4th division at half time at Stafford  1 - 0 up just needed to win and we were there iirc Then it all went T**s up. Oh well Ce La Vie

im not really here

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 08:40:20 PM »

I remember my biggest games in 3 different periods, in the last Kingy years its got to be Tottenham. Under Bernard it has to be that great night at Saltergate in the Unbond Challenge Cup, I remember the post match scenes vividly and winning that night set us on a magical fairytale ride under Bernard before it went belly up. The Kidderminster is also big in the memory. Under GH it is the runcorn game that set his era alight and of course the nuneaton and Kettering matches.

My worst game has to be the trophy defeat away to North Ferriby United, or the what seems like numerous defeats away to Winsford on freezing Tuesday nights.

markecky

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2008, 09:06:49 PM »

The night at Chesterfield was one to savour.  It may he only been the Unibond Cup but it was the first thing we had won for 13 years and didn't we celebrate!

The sight of Bernard sprinting across the pitch with the cup in his bubble jacket was just brilliant.

Alty365

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »

The night at Chesterfield was one to savour.  It may he only been the Unibond Cup but it was the first thing we had won for 13 years and didn't we celebrate!

The sight of Bernard sprinting across the pitch with the cup in his bubble jacket was just brilliant.

He had the cup in his bubble jacket or Bernard was wearing a bubble jacket?  ;D

I was gutted to miss that one as I had just torn my ankle ligaments playing football and was in excruciating pain.

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2008, 09:51:44 PM »

Having been to all the big cup / trophy games the BIGGEST game was 1-0 Runcorn to secure Conf North status - we could still be in the Uinbond if it wasn't for that win...

On the flip side though, how about Slough Town away in 1991?

I'll go with that as well.I don't know exactly what happened that night....but whatever it was was well dodgy!

Probably my worst moment in 36 years of supporting Alty.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2008, 10:05:15 PM »

anyone any stories on boardroom /sponsor/ground crashing

Yes Gazelle, Aylesbury away, first game of the (i think) 87-88 season, I met up with an old college mate, then a trainee journo for the local press. His boss was covering the game and they got me in to the press box, no admission, free buffet, drinks and the works. I did have to pretend to be from the Pink, but in reality the Pink report was sent by the Aylesbury guy, its just that the copy for the Pink version was drafted by the seriously short of experience me and dictated by him.

Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

Stoneacre Lad

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2008, 10:09:02 PM »

The Pink ! What a paper that was for footy fans. Anyone recall what year they ditched this ? Seems like a lifetime ago ....

Hamilton

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »

Before the days of t'internet and Jeff Stelling on a Saturday it was a lifesaver on a Saturday night

Alty365

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »

How I miss reading about the first 65 minutes of our matches!  ::) :D

Stoneacre Lad

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 10:18:26 PM »

Lol. Nonetheless 365 was well impressed how they managed to print it and have it in newsagents for 6.30ish that night. Fair play to them. The number of blokes loitering around newsagents at that time on a Sat was rather amusing

Alty365

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2008, 10:24:19 PM »

I remember nipping round to the newsagents after tea on Saturdays to pick up the pink. It had a good non league section in the middle.

thegazelle

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »

highlight of the week queueing and waiting for the pink in the newsagent oposite the moss.listening to the words of wisdom from big bill and brian sweeney

a journo mate of mine recalls covering lancaster v matlock as a cub reporter for lancs evening post version of the pink the score he had to fit in for thw first half and early second half report lany 0 matlock 10  the scorers were of course 17 different fenoughty brothers his whole report read fenoughty every other word
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 the BIGGEST alty game?