News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stafford Rangers

Author Topic: Stafford Rangers  (Read 4947 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Stafford Rangers
« on: August 06, 2017, 11:54:52 AM »

One of the opponents I first remember seeing at Moss Lane in the Cheshire League in the late 1950's.

Like us, founder members of both the NPL and the APL (subsequently the Conference). They were in their pomp before us in the early 1970's when they were arguably the best non-league side in the country. They had many ex Port Vale players in their squad. Their keeper Aleksic went to Spurs. Like us they won 2 of their 3 Wembley visits. Like us they failed to get past the "old pals act" into the Football League.

AND like us they've sunk to the lowest level in their history.....and they've stayed there.

We need to make that we don't share that last similarity.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Stafford Rangers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:35:12 PM »

As far as I can recall, they weren't founder members of the NPL, they came into it in its second season after finishing second in the cheshire league behind Skelmersdale who didn't want/couldn't afford promotion (Skem won it the year after too didn't they?)

Sorry for the pedantry, but actually was expecting another forum pedant to come up with this!  ;)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:28:51 PM »

And, from another pedant, Stafford have actually played below this level in recent seasons, which may be a cautionary tale in itself.From 2014-16, they were in the Evo-Stik NPL Div 1 South, and they also had a spell from 1996-2000 below the Southern Premier, after a double relegation.

It was before my time, but I thought Skelmersdale weren't eligible for the NPL as an amateur club, back when there was a distinction between professional and amateur status.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:38:26 PM »

And, from another pedant, Stafford have actually played below this level in recent seasons, which may be a cautionary tale in itself.From 2014-16, they were in the Evo-Stik NPL Div 1 South, and they also had a spell from 1996-2000 below the Southern Premier, after a double relegation.

It was before my time, but I thought Skelmersdale weren't eligible for the NPL as an amateur club, back when there was a distinction between professional and amateur status.

It wasn't before my time  ::) but the memory's not what it was. You may well be correct.

There were a number of occasions where teams refused promotion for financial reasons in the 70s/80s. I think Marine and Mossley fell into that category (although in those cases it was refusing promotion from the NPL to the APL.)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 08:54:33 PM »

Thank you gentlemen - MY memory obviously isn't what it was !

Sleepy the dwarf

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 07:39:06 PM »

Is my memory playing tricks, or is Stafford the game that was at risk of being frozen off that lead to the picture of Mick Carmody holding a hairdryer in the messenger?
Seem to remember it resulted in one of the dullest 0.0 draws I've ever seen.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 08:05:05 AM »

Stafford have another friendly tonight, I wonder if anyone will be casting an eye over it.

Mausoleum Alty

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 09:16:33 AM »

Stafford have another friendly tonight, I wonder if anyone will be casting an eye over it.

I'd be amazed if one of our management team wasn't there.

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »

I'd be amazed if one of our management team wasn't there.
It's only down the road for most of them, though it's hard to see how much they'll learn from watching the Boro entertain Lye Town.

thegazelle

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »

Stafford Memories in no particular order

they had a player called Alty
martin bloody hanchard
invasion fixture 1991 the most i have ever seen alty take to an away league game (unless you can remember more)
we once played them at home first game of the season they had just been promoted and brought a massive following golfroad full and some (facts maybe wrong on that one please correct me some pedant)
i arrived at half time and still had to pay full price in 2005
got very drunk int their club house on port and brandy with travis and corner flag before watching what was basically an ice hockey match poss boxing day mid 80's
they had a player called sargeant

great traditional rivals with a huge non league pedigree shame to see us both at this sh*tty level. how the mighty are fallen

markecky2

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 06:25:26 PM »

Is my memory playing tricks, or is Stafford the game that was at risk of being frozen off that lead to the picture of Mick Carmody holding a hairdryer in the messenger?
Seem to remember it resulted in one of the dullest 0.0 draws I've ever seen.

I remember that picture mate, was taken just near the players tunnel!

Wasn't a full first team for Stafford, Perry and Briscoe didn't start I know that much.

Exodus Geohagan (or however you spell it) was on the bench for them, he has had some clubs against us that lad.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stafford Rangers