News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fixture CHAOS!

Author Topic: Fixture CHAOS!  (Read 2700 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Fixture CHAOS!
« on: January 13, 2009, 02:19:10 PM »

So we now finish the season with Wrexham, Mansfield and Cambridge away!!  If we'd have seen that run in at the beginning of the season we would have made us very nervous about our survival chances.  All the same, we'd better make sure we've got enough points by match 43!

And in a different view of extrapolation:

After 25 games we have 35 points - 15 ahead of where we were last season and 8 ahead of each of the two previous seasons - and remember in 2005-06 we would have been safe by 3 points without the points deduction.

Scottie

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Fixture CHAOS!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 02:43:11 PM »

The only saving grace as far as the fixture pileup is concerned is that we are out of FA trophy / FA Cup.

Jimbo Alty FC

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

why are we worrying about fixtures that at the minute mean nothing and possibly by Cambridge we'll be safe in mid Table

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:25:25 PM »

why are we worrying about fixtures that at the minute mean nothing and possibly by Cambridge we'll be safe in mid Table

Maybe because we remember the promotion push that was partly crushed by a fixture pile up? or maybe the 99-00 relegation were we were "safe" in March!
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 11:17:02 AM »

Look on the bright side ... It's going to be a very difficult play-off run in for the Supers this year!

Having said that, 3 points off already-safe Mansfield and draws at our play-off rivals Wrexham and Cambridge would do for me.  ::)
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 12:28:17 PM »

The problem goes back even further - we were certs in 1974/75 to win the NPL before handing it to Wigan due to an end of season fixture pile up. That season went out of the FA Trophy in the first game we played, and that was at Wigan the Saturday after we had played Everton twice.
I think being out of the FA Cup and FA Trophy is a blessing in disguise, but it dont help if our opponents are still in these competions and have our fixture with them changed. I also have concern that fixtures are already being rescheduled for March/April instead of trying to get them played sooner. A fixture pile-up is a major disadvantage to part-time clubs in a League of Full time sides.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »

The problem goes back even further - we were certs in 1974/75 to win the NPL before handing it to Wigan due to an end of season fixture pile up. That season went out of the FA Trophy in the first game we played, and that was at Wigan the Saturday after we had played Everton twice.
I think being out of the FA Cup and FA Trophy is a blessing in disguise, but it dont help if our opponents are still in these competions and have our fixture with them changed. I also have concern that fixtures are already being rescheduled for March/April instead of trying to get them played sooner. A fixture pile-up is a major disadvantage to part-time clubs in a League of Full time sides.

As far as I recall, we were 8 points off the top in the end and not only Wigan but Runcorn, who also finished above us were better sides. I think Runcorn won it the following year.

At the time, I thought we had more of a chance in the previous (73/4)  season. I think Jim Smith was player/mager for Boston then wasn't he? He was a proper rule-stretching dirty b*****d of a wing half! We were only a coupl e of points behind them then, I'm sure.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 06:46:28 PM »

As far as I recall, we were 8 points off the top in the end and not only Wigan but Runcorn, who also finished above us were better sides. I think Runcorn won it the following year.

At the time, I thought we had more of a chance in the previous (73/4)  season. I think Jim Smith was player/mager for Boston then wasn't he? He was a proper rule-stretching dirty b*****d of a wing half! We were only a coupl e of points behind them then, I'm sure.

You're right there.1973/4 season was a nightmare as we folded in very much the same fashion as in 1991.I remember key games late in April being a 1-0 defeat with a last minute goal at Bangor City on a Wednesday night & a 2-1 reverse at Mossley, possibly on the following Friday.We went a few games without a win having been superb all season & ironically broke our run with 2-0 victory over Champions elect Boston United in the final game of the season in early May (I think it was a Thursday night).

Harrowing days for a teenager in his second season watching Alty >:(

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 06:30:54 AM »

Maybe because we remember the promotion push that was partly crushed by a fixture pile up? or maybe the 99-00 relegation were we were "safe" in March!

I honestly think this is quite different from 2000AD, this time we had a poor(ish) start for various reasons (which reasons some people sadly failed to acknowledge at the time), but have done great since then. I honestly don't see us having problems unless we lose a number of key players and can't get replacements. Bear in mind also the problems at other clubs and it is hard to see us go down. We also lost Graham Heathcote as coach midway through that season.

I am confident as long as Barrow and Heathcote are in charge.

bighairedmike

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 07:50:01 AM »

I honestly think this is quite different from 2000AD, this time we had a poor(ish) start for various reasons (which reasons some people sadly failed to acknowledge at the time), but have done great since then. I honestly don't see us having problems unless we lose a number of key players and can't get replacements. Bear in mind also the problems at other clubs and it is hard to see us go down. We also lost Graham Heathcote as coach midway through that season.

I am confident as long as Barrow and Heathcote are in charge.

What reasons Hugh? We were playing awful football, not showing any passion at all. Nobody looked arsed. We were playing awful, defensive football and not doing anything about it until it was too late. Is it or is it not up to the manager to sort these things out? People had a pop at the manager (rightly or wrongly) at the Lewes game and since then there has been a huge turnaround in our fortunes.

What were these other reasons that you keep banging on about hugh, but wont actually divulge?
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Fixture CHAOS!