PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford - what a joke
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oxford - what a joke  (Read 4279 times)

NauticaPete

Re: Oxford - what a joke
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »

The problem is though, that because football fans are emotionally attached to their team, so the supply/demand reltionship is somewhat skewed. The clubs know that most people will still go regardless.  If you get a bad meal in a restaurant you don't go back, this isn't the same for football though.
Borussia Dortmund could charge significantly more for tickets and a lot of people would still go. But, as it happens, the net result is that average people can afford to go to the games regularly, they don't feel ripped off, and their attendances regularly top 80,000.
Part of the reason is that they have standing sections, but that is worthy of another post.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 11:58:05 PM »

To play devils advocate (Yes, Yet Again)

If we could get away with charging those sorts of prices (i.e. we had a solid four figure home support who would pay them) Would we charge less because some visiting supporters were unimpressed?

Don't really think so...do you?

NauticaPete

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 12:19:03 AM »

Agree, have been playing devil's advocate a little myself tbh. In terms of the conference our entry prices are resonable.
I still think that football entry prices are generally over-inflated in this country though. Although unlikely, some form of across-the-board wage cap would have a sobering effect. I'm convinced that apart from maybe the top 3 or 4 clubs, the finished product in terms of quailty of football isn't much better in the Premier league than say the Bundesliga. (I watched a bit of Wigan vs Spurs the other day :-\)
 There they have a rule that foreign investors can't buy over 50 per cent of a club. Ok, their clubs can't compete for the very top stars i.e. Deco, Ronaldo; but some decent players still go and play there, e.g. Ribery, Luca Toni, Petit (Portugal), it's much more affordable, stadiums are full and it's a sustainable model (compare with rash speculations and bankrupcies of clubs here, even at our level)- which might pay off for the odd club, but overall can only be detrimental in the long run. I say clear (financial) regulations are needed to ensure the long-term health of our sport.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 06:35:22 AM »

I remember similar complaints when we first went to Halifax.

I haven't got much time for Oxford United since the "riot". Nowt against Oxford City or former cup winners Oxford University though!

Is Oxford the smallest place in England to have two different teams winning major trophies I wonder?
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford - what a joke