PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford - what a joke
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Oxford - what a joke  (Read 4278 times)

NauticaPete

Oxford - what a joke
« on: January 12, 2009, 10:17:23 PM »

Seriously, how can Oxford justify charging so much for 5th division football?? Football has gone mad, scrap full-time clubs in the BSP!

Oxford's prices:
Adults, £17; Students with NUS card £13; Over-65s and under-16s £10; under-7s £10.

Compare this to the entrance prices of two top-division clubs in Germany and France respectively:

Borussia Dortmund: Standing € 12,50   
Standing, concessions:  € 8,30.

OSC Lille: Standing  € 13,00
Standing, concessions: € 9,75.

Clubs like Oxford are clearly taking the fans' loyalty for granted and ripping them (and away fans) off. How are people on modest incomes meant to afford this?  In Germany you  also often get the price of the underground/train fare in the met. area included in the ticket for the matchday.

Solutions for the conference anyone?

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford - what a joke
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 10:55:50 PM »

Also Athletico Baleares who are in Spanish La Liga 2B(3rd tier) only charge 5 euros for their games and it's 60 euros for a half season ticket.
They really should be beating teams like us

RocketDan

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 11:09:25 PM »

yeah i never got that, why football is sooo much higher in the uk. even when you compare teams like chelsea, united etc. to millan and barcelona, i think england is a lot more.

oxford want to make money simple as, however they have a huge stadium good enough for league one. i would have thought getting double the number of people in at half the price would be a much better idea for them revenue sales from programs and snacks, not the mention they might have a half decent atmosphere.

Jacko

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 11:15:38 PM »

its an absolute disgrace in my view too, its as if some clubs see empty stands and then think i know we'll charge more!!!!! each year means less real fans too >:(

The real issue with our prices vs overseas prices comes down to the fact that becuase we created the game/feel that we have a supiorior football nation so we charge more even though the facts show that bar the odd man utd-Liverpool Champs League win with mainly overseas players lately in it we've actually done crap,

im not even gonna mention the national team as there a joke im afraid,MEDIA TEAM

we are a bunch of daily star/sky bashers when it comes to football and it just shows in the way that we love beckham and want to know what retirement home he's going too,

Phew i think i needed that ;D

« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 11:31:05 PM by Jacko »

Jacko

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 11:32:39 PM »

sorry ive had a bad day at work 8)

Jimmy Hill

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:48:17 AM »

Demand for football is generally price inelastic in demand.

Putting prices up/down 10% will result in a less than 10% fall/increase in demand.
WTF why do you need some sort of drug to have a good time at a party ffs

Jezza

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 04:22:36 AM »

I think Oxford fans will agree.

It is a nationwide problem and unfortunate for Oxford fans that they are the extreme example that will inevitably be used.

Can you still get a few quid off for booking in advance?

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 05:43:08 AM »

I actually disagree.
I bought my tickets from Oxford Adult £15.00, Child under 7yrs free, plus a booking fee £2, total £17.00 (I actually got 2 free under 7,s but the total would be the same for one child)
To stand up on the terrace at Crawley I paid £13 for an adult and £5.00 for one under 7 Total £18
Even comparing Oxford at the turnstyle Adult charge of £17, it is not much more than charges for terraces and some of these really crap places that we go to. At these other grounds I think you will find seating not much cheaper than Oxford (Crawley is the same if not more expensice) and the facilities no where near as good. Plus some of the other grounds, Salisbury for one, charge £2 for parking.

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 09:13:13 AM »

I am sure I read that Oxford only rent the ground? Circa £500k per season and a wage bill around £2,000,000.

No wonder they charge £17.

MadFrankie

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 10:41:23 AM »

I am sure I read that Oxford only rent the ground?

I'm sure you're correct there. Maybe it's a conference rule that if your ground doesn't have 4 proper sides then you must rent it from a former chairman who is allegedly the cause of a lot of your current problems. Allegedly. I'm sure that there's another club that meets this criteria, but can't think of the name right now though.
Is this the way to Mickleover
I'd rather go there than Dover

Brian Flynn

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 01:39:30 PM »

Demand for football is generally price inelastic in demand.

Putting prices up/down 10% will result in a less than 10% fall/increase in demand.

Quality Jimmy ;D

Butty

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 05:55:32 PM »

If you don't want to pay it, don't go.

Rather unfortunately, for me, this will be the case. It is ridiculous the prices they are charging. Just think in comparison, you can go and watch 5 Oxford home games, for the same price you could pay for all 23 home Altrincham games (Under 16 prices there).

penfold

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:34:50 PM »

The slightest little comment will set some Oxford fans off. Remember when we scored the last min penalty the year before, all hell breaks loose and bricks are thrown in the direction of the traveling alty support (supporters coach). We don't want that happening again.
Oxford are the definition of big time charlies, they do believe they should be league 2 status, and it will take them a couple of seasons to realise people don't want to pay those prices to watch a mid table conference side.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 07:39:28 PM »

They still get crowds regularly in excess of 4,000 though, so people clearly are prepared to pay the asking price. I would say they are pretty much down to their hardcore support so I see no reason why they would suddenly drop their prices.

On the subject of pricing, I liked the pricing policy at Hereford when they charged people less if the team was outside the top ten (or something very similar). This was certainly the case on our last visit to Edgar Street in 2005.
Come on Alty!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:08 PM »

Carlisle United and Doncaster Rovers are living proof that there is light at the end of the tunnel. One could argue that being in the Conference was the catalyst for their respective successes since.
Come on Alty!
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Oxford - what a joke