PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ian Craney set to sign!
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ian Craney set to sign!  (Read 6205 times)

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Ian Craney set to sign!
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:17:28 PM »

The fact is that investment would be great and we could sign Craney and keep Senior and Youngy and maybe even have a crack at the play-offs.

But making investment sustainable is ridiculously hard at this level. We cant just get money in the bank and spend it directly on the playing squad. Investment needs to make money over the long term, so developing a cracking social or getting us deeper into the community, or getting better corporate facilities at the stadium. Even if we get investment it would be suicide to get in players on contracts on decent wages, investment will bear fruit in a couple of years if we are lucky enough to get it. The last thing we want is some cretin to sky-rocket us to a false economy.

Its not what the squad was built on. We represent different values, and we are happy all season when those values win out over the likes of Fleetwood et al. Now we have the downside of these values. We miss out on players all the time. Someone made a good point the other day, Fleetwood can only sign so many players, there's plenty to go round.
Have faith, GH and KM will find what we need.

Me, which is why im a tad surprised a) Craney's gone there b) its a drop out the league

York Alty

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 10:30:56 PM »

we've been through the sugar daddy experience.  not again thanks.  I for one am happy to plug away breaking even each year, making progress each year.  I've seen nothing so far to threaten a season of consolidation.  keep calm chaps. carry on.

Aussie Bob

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 03:46:13 AM »

They spent big money this year and nearly didnt make it..their signings havent been that astute...Craney will be a top player for them and is playing below his level but i suppose if the moneys good enough he might as well go for it. Suppose it depends on whether their backer will be a long term investor or will get bored if they dont go up in the next couple of years. Only 2 x teams can go up ...throwing money at a team doesnt always work especially at this level.
I can only see Alty really competing at this level in the short term through funding a better squad via a cup run or selling a decent player or two. We can only wait until the start of the new season to see who have lining up for us ...spending  other peoples money all the time wont work ..either the other clubs come back to us financially (more than likley if appendix e is enforced) or we toddle along with what we have and try and survive in the Conference....if we are bordeline BSN / Conference club and we pay our way i am more than happy at present. Be nice to get some extra investment mind you...

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 08:04:47 AM »

As someone else has pointed out, there's more to a club than players on the pitch. A sugar daddy hiking up the budget is a disaster in the long run because we don't have the infrastructure to sustain it when sugar daddy gets bored. Remember fleetwood have spent a fortune just to get to where we already are. Macc and accrington are sailing close to the wind every year. Morecambe have a bigger support base.  I honestly believe that if we want a successful long term club any extra money needs to be spent off the pitch first.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 08:21:31 AM »

Morecambe only have bigger gates due to 15 years of success

fuertes

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »

The fact is that investment would be great and we could sign Craney and keep Senior and Youngy and maybe even have a crack at the play-offs.

But making investment sustainable is ridiculously hard at this level. We cant just get money in the bank and spend it directly on the playing squad. Investment needs to make money over the long term, so developing a cracking social or getting us deeper into the community, or getting better corporate facilities at the stadium. Even if we get investment it would be suicide to get in players on contracts on decent wages, investment will bear fruit in a couple of years if we are lucky enough to get it. The last thing we want is some cretin to sky-rocket us to a false economy.

Its not what the squad was built on. We represent different values, and we are happy all season when those values win out over the likes of Fleetwood et al. Now we have the downside of these values. We miss out on players all the time. Someone made a good point the other day, Fleetwood can only sign so many players, there's plenty to go round.

Best post of the thread. We can't talk pride in our part-time status and financial sense only to start moaning if we don't sign Ian Craney on £1,500 p/w.

I'm still routing for the FA Cup payday that'll kickstart us. When that day comes, which it will eventually, we'll be pleased that we're able to invest off our own bat, rather than begging someone from outside to give us a handout.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »

We must just be unlucky,all these other clubs manage to finding backing to take them from the NPL into the football league yet weve never even had so much as in enquiry

I see what you mean, but would you want us to become another Fleetwood or Chelsea or Man City, just a plaything of some millionaire who wants something to while away the hours, not caring about the traditions of a club or the feelings of its supporters.
I feel proud to support Altrincham Football Club, I wouldn't if it turned into a Fleetwood or similar.
We are capable of success, it just has to be done the right way, the Altrincham way!!

(S)ALTY

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 11:11:06 AM »

we've been through the sugar daddy experience.  not again thanks.  I for one am happy to plug away breaking even each year, making progress each year.  I've seen nothing so far to threaten a season of consolidation.  keep calm chaps. carry on.

I wholeheardly agree with the objective of seeking to making steady progress on a break even basis ..

but Little retiring, Senior off to fulltime pastures new, and talk of Young leaving  and you don't see these as a threat to consolidation ?   ???...

If GH amd KM pull off a further season of consolidation after that kick in the whatsits they deserve knighthoods for services to the football and the underpriviledged ?

We'll need Captain Mainwaring and Corporal Jones on the management team to 'Keep Calm' if things carry on as they have done since the end of the season.

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 06:46:20 PM »

Here, here
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Stan Hibbert

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 06:54:19 PM »

I went to both the Fleetwood v Droylsden play off matches and they need to spend big because the team they have at the moment will definitely not walk this league. The only concern I would have about playing them is getting out of the ground alive as their fans are "passionate" if I'm being diplomatic.

If they spend big then it may be a different story but I won't be putting my hard earned on them going up next year that's for sure.

Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Ian Craney set to sign!