PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yesterday
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yesterday  (Read 3655 times)

robininstockport

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Yesterday
« on: August 14, 2011, 09:35:21 AM »

Really couldn't post anything after getting back last night.

Just can't believe how frail our defence looked, following the pre-season when it looked the soundest area on the pitch. Was shocked to see Brown at left back and not Lees, but thought he was man of the match. Out of the 2 CB Flynn looked better than Jones and we've lost him for 3 games.

From KO it loked like we'd dropped a level from pre-season, whether it was nerves or the weight of expectation I don't know. The mid-field was completely by-passed at times with ball being launched to 2 front men under 6ft. It not going to work. No idea if it was a pen or not but the 2nd was poor defending. Having said that we had 3/4 great chances in the first half. To give away a pen completely against the run of play was pure Alty.

The half was far better wiith Clee playing a more central role, the ball was played on the floor and we looked like the footballing team that LS said we woluld. How we didn't score 5/6 I'll never know but fair play to their keeper and defence.

Still think we'll be in the mix at the end of season but their's  going to be many games where the keeper time wastes, the ref gives no protection, t'other team merely hoofs the ball forward and it's a frustating 90 mins.

It's a marathon not a sprint.

Rant over  bring on Tuesday

Full time and proud of it

Jenga

Re: Yesterday
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:31:14 AM »

Personally didnt see much of the game.

But maybe the hype ran away with us and we were too confident, I dont know.

Some of our play was good, the second half we battered them.

I think your summary is not far off being spot on.

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:25:43 AM »

If Flynn's RC was for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity rather than violent conduct I think we may only miss him for one game

RockyRobin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:51:38 AM »

I thought when Clee switched to the centre I thought we lost a lot of creative play. He was ripping them apart at will down the left.
Bought and Brought are two different words with completely different meanings

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:27:16 PM »

Clee did switch to the centre after they had a man sent off and dictated play from there as well.  It was a red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity so only 1 match ban, as for the play I thought we dominated play and if we keep going like that we will be there or there abouts by the end of the season.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

RocketDan

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:37:10 PM »

Not sure how we didn't win to be honest? I've never heard so many ooohs and aaaahs - the number of near misses, shots saves and shots blocked by defenders what insane. On another day we could have had 4 or 5 goals.

Also in relation to the penalties - a harrogate fan said to me that the first one was definitely not a penalty. Not sure about the second one either, but then again we were down the other end of the pitch for both of them so it's hard to judge.

bumble

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 12:38:38 PM »

Not sure how we didn't win to be honest? I've never heard so many ooohs and aaaahs - the number of near misses, shots saves and shots blocked by defenders what insane. On another day we could have had 4 or 5 goals.

Also in relation to the penalties - a harrogate fan said to me that the first one was definitely not a penalty. Not sure about the second one either, but then again we were down the other end of the pitch for both of them so it's hard to judge.

One of their players said the 2nd was soft and was shocked it was given

I didn't see the first one, I heard deffo a foul for thst

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:05:10 PM »

From the other end of the pitch the 1st penalty seemed to be a clear foul, as said elsewhere the Harrogate photos show it may have been on the edge of area but no complaints.

There is no possible way that Flynn could be done for violent conduct, their big strapping striker who had looked so physical when grabbing Ryan Brown and clattering into Danylyk did well to get himself to the floor given how soft the contact was.

What was frustrating is the ref was well placed to judge, he was quite close but chose to look to his linesman 30 yards away. As soon as he did that there was no way in the world the linesman would pass up his opportunity to make his mark on the game. It was a running joke when I played and with lads I played with at Unibond Prem/Conf North level that you could always rely on linesman for this as they were trying to work their way up and often seemed frustrated at not being at the centre of things.

It was also noted that it was more apparent once they became 'referees assistants' that they were ever more keen. Honestly. You will find they are so 'busy' in this league it's unreal.

Ridiculous and frustrating really, was there anyone in the ground who expected him to wave play on to the ref?

RocketDan

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 01:09:18 PM »

they should probably introduce height requirements for referees. That chap out there yesterday was barely 5'

Butty

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 02:00:29 PM »

From the other end of the pitch the 1st penalty seemed to be a clear foul, as said elsewhere the Harrogate photos show it may have been on the edge of area but no complaints.

Not seen the photo but in football, on the line is in- at full speed as well it is hard to judge, benefit of the doubt, decisions even up, et al.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »

The most disturbing (and surprising) aspect of yesterday's Harrogate experience was just how poor and unsure our two central defenders looked in the face of the home team's route one approach.

Who saw that coming?

As that 'style' of play will probably feature a lot in this league, I hope that this will be addressed swiftly or was simply a one-off nightmare.

There certainly can't have been many less auspicious debuts for Alty than Adam Flynn's: conceding two penalties and receiving a red card!

Notwithstanding the aforementioned, we dominated so much of the game and should have claimed all three points.

The referee was far too lenient in his response to Harrogate's belligerent tactics.

As John Laidlar rightly observes, Nowakowski should have been sent off for a second bookable offence when he blatantly hauled down Reeves early in the second half.

And there's a case for arguing that Wilson (the home No. 7 who scored the second penalty kick) should not even have been on the pitch after appearing to use his elbow in a challenge in front of the main stand (for which a free kick was awarded), an action that culminated his afternoon of persistent fouling.

And what on earth was going on as regards Harrogate's inability to (i) inflate a football correctly and (ii) replace the ball when it was hoofed out of the ground?
At one stage, Neil Tolson had to lean across and remind the home bench to supply a new ball.

My first visit to Harrogate since 2003.
And they are still playing the same music before the game.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 05:06:57 PM »

I couldn't go to Harrogate as working, but wasn't the first goal conceded against Stockport a warning sign?

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 05:07:38 PM »

And there's a case for arguing that Wilson (the home No. 7 who scored the second penalty kick) should not even have been on the pitch after appearing to use his elbow in a challenge in front of the main stand (for which a free kick was awarded), an action that culminated his afternoon of persistent fouling.

Glad it wasn't just me who noticed that!! It hasn't had a mention anywhere else, he had a clear look at Chris Lynch before he did that, I was amazed no action was taken. Although again, I'd say that's what we've brought Lynch for (to be aware of rough stuff and to an extent meet fire with fire).

That game was a million per cent everything I expected it to be, down to the very smallest detail.

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 08:26:41 PM »

If yesterday would have been played at moss lane we would have won 2/3 nil.  Will other teams lose at harrogate this season?  I think so.  Confident after that performance
Bernard Taylors barmy army

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 12:00:51 AM »

If yesterday would have been played at moss lane we would have won 2/3 nil.  Will other teams lose at harrogate this season?  I think so.  Confident after that performance

Much as I would have welcomed the three points, I would nonetheless have been rather upset at having travelled over to Harrogate only to find their ground deserted.
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Yesterday