- 27 (71.1%)
Top Half
- 7 (18.4%)
Bottom Half
- 2 (5.3%)
Relegation Candidates
- 2 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: York City 2010-11  (Read 3631 times)

taxi Phil

York City 2010-11
« on: July 03, 2010, 12:47:20 PM »

As promised some while ago, I'm going to work through the League backwards, and canvass views on the prospects of every BSP club for the coming season.

One of the advantages of the "backwards" technique is that I shall reach The Mighty Robins last ! Another is that York City SHOULD be a relatively easy club to assess !

When they were first relegated to the Conference, York City had been one of those familiar victims of financial mismanagement. I'm old enough to remember their FA Cup semi-final appearance, their lone season in the second tier of English football, and their victory over Manchester United in the League Cup.

It hasn't always been an easy ride for them at this level, but last season was heartbreakingly close to getting them back into the Football League. They OUGHT to be able to sustain League football, given the size of York itself, and the decent catchment area around (Leeds United and Hull City are their main threat as far as fan depletion is concerned).

They earned a considerable number of Brownie Points from me for not matching Crawley's bid for Matt Tubbs, but the fact that they were prepared to offer £55K suggests they DO have sufficient funds to further enhance an already strong squad.

They're not my first choice for the automatic promotion spot, but I would be amazed (and very disappointed, because I like the club) if they weren't in the play offs again this term.

I can forgive them the loathsome Richard Brodie - I'm already on record as saying I'd not like him at our club, but I do accept that he's going to get them 20+ goals again (if someone doesn't maim him first).

Heffer

Re: York City 2010-11
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »

They will do well to match last season - top half just

jimmyhank

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 12:32:15 AM »

6th

Jacko

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 12:33:21 AM »

arsed

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 02:32:50 AM »

arsed

There's another 23 of these to come - so if you're "arsed" just ignore them.

bighairedmike

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:29:06 AM »

arsed

If you're not arsed dont comment. And for what its worth i reckon they'll finish third and be play off finalists. Hope they go up, but hope they dont at the same time. Its the old "I like them, want them to do well" vs the "They bring a good load to alty and is a decent day out" argument. Good luck to them, except against us. And i hope Youngy has a mare.  ;D

York Alty

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 12:18:06 PM »

York City news from the main site about a possible new ground

"new ground on the site of the existing Huntington Stadium is the club’s preferred choice...There will be concerns at Monks Cross about traffic issues... The site has the advantage of a good Park&Ride service which I would expect most fans would wish to take advantage of".

Concerns? and the rest matey boy!  In decent weather you're competing with the coast traffic on the A64 ring road.  In pants weather you're competing with the hoardes of brain washed going to worship at the temple of Monks Cross shopping centre. Now add in Waterworld right next door to the proposed site.  I predict mayhem.  Absolute mayhem. It's nasty now with the rughy league club there.

now for the quote "The site has the advantage of a good Park&Ride service" - true but the car park is for people parking there and heading into town.  This statement only makes sense if you take the train and get the bus to Monks Cross (as opposed to walking as you do now to Bootham Crescent through the city centre taking in some of the sights 'n sounds of a wonderful city) OR park up somewhere else (one of the other P&R's) and then bus right the way across the city centre.

Anyway, most confusing comments.

Good luck YCFC (except against The Alty)  but I don't think you'll be as good as you were last season.

They'll have to push very hard for a play off spot.

YorkyAlty

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:51:46 PM »

Go to see them quite a bit as fiancee is York fan

I see much the same as last season, strong at home, my tip is play offs again

Dave

York Alty

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:32:03 PM »

a few in my office think the dissapointment may get to them, it happens.  If they get off to a good start then who knows.

UkrainianPhil

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 05:19:59 PM »

I might as well comment seeing as you're discussing my club.....!

I will be gutted if we don't reach the play-offs again this time. We have kept the squad together from last year and added a few interesting players (like Greg Young) and, with a weaker league this time round, we should be up there. If we can get the likes of Gash and Sangare fully fit then we should kick on. We have one of the best keepers outside the Football League in Michael Ingham, potentially the best centre back pairing in the league (McGurk and Young) and Brodie and Rankine up front who everyone hates playing against. Our midfield is probably our area of weakness but then against Alex Lawless is a class act, as is Neil Barrett on his day.

Luton will win the league, but Grimsby and Darlington will make no impact and Cambridge are the ones to watch in my book. Crawley have spent big but the wheels will almost certainly fall off.

Either way, it should be an interesting season and I will be rolling up at Alty once again.

Heffer

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 08:51:36 PM »

Play off

York Alty

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 10:50:54 PM »

we agree about the creeepy crawley wheels coming off.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 04:10:46 PM »

York seemed to have slipped through my net out of all the reviews...

I fancy them strongly to repeat last season and gain a playoff place once again this season.

A popular club on this forum, however it would be nice to see them back in Lge 2

top 5 in the BSP 2010/11
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 York City 2010-11