Top Half
- 23 (52.3%)
Bottom Half
- 11 (25%)
Relegation Candidates
- 3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WREXHAM : 2010-11  (Read 5322 times)

taxi Phil

WREXHAM : 2010-11
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »

During their defeat of the Robins at Moss Lane last time, Ecky and I were of the opinion that Wrexham might "go on a run" on the back of what I have to say was as impressive a performance as anybody put  on against us last season. But they didn't.

And there seems to me to be Wrexham's problem. Last term they lacked consistency, and a lot of this was down to a shortage of goals.

The holder of the Knobsock of the Year title has re-signed their old favourite Andy Morrell. In his last season (2002-3) he scored 34 goals in 45 appearances. In the preceding four seasons he'd managed only 6 in 65. Dramatic improvement - and in my opinion largely due to being paired with Lee Trundle ! Now he's pushing 36 and on his way down the ladder.

Saunders actually believes having an older squad than last year is an advantage. I disagree. Not enough good signings, too many has beens retained (especially Sinclair). I reckon if they sack Saunders by Christmas, and put someone in charge who knows his way round BSP football, they might JUST manage a top half finish.

fuertes

Re: WREXHAM : 2010-11
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:21:52 AM »

Saunders actually believes having an older squad than last year is an advantage. I disagree. Not enough good signings, too many has beens retained (especially Sinclair). I reckon if they sack Saunders by Christmas, and put someone in charge who knows his way round BSP football, they might JUST manage a top half finish.

Funnily enough I know a couple of Wrexham fans who think their best chance is an absolutely abysmal start, Saunders sacked inside 10 games, then a manager who actually knows what he's doing taking the reins.

I said they should have sacked Saunders and brought in Jimmy Quinn at the end of last season, but they seem intent on giving him at least one more year.

By the very end of the season Saunders was making a couple of intesresting admissions - namely that he had made tactical errors and that his squad was too lightweight. If he has genuinely learned from his mistakes, it's not beyond the realms of possibility they'll get into the top 5. I'll say 7th if they stick with Saunders, 5th if they get rid early.

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 12:03:27 PM »

I reckon they will finish top half again. (with more crosses than the Catholic Church just to keep Dean the dwarf happy)

Derek Stubbs

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
    • thesatmanfootballtv.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:21:17 PM »

Have they not just signed Lee Trundle ?

If so. i think they will make the play offs.

Bangor on Dee Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:03:49 PM »

Big ground, big ideas ( big headed deano) and a population that supports Man Utd, Liverpool & Everton, and of course a few exciled Alty fans. Top half of the table just above us.

jimmyhank

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 02:24:55 PM »

9th.

joe

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 03:02:17 PM »

Surely not? He was a regular starter in the Championship last season.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »

Surely not? He was a regular starter in the Championship last season.

He's been released by Bristol City, and wants to stay with Swansea (he was on loan there last season - though he never played a full 90 minutes for them.) He has had an offer from Yeovil Town, so I'd be very surprised if he were to drop three divisions.

bighairedmike

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:54:21 PM »

He has just signed for Neath in the Welsh Premier league. Quite a baffling one for me, especially if he has had an offer from Newport County as well which is only an hour or so away from Neath. When they played Aber Town last year they werent anything special. Conference North standard or so I would say.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 12:13:09 AM »

£2,000 per week and a 3 year contract can help..

Dougals Dad

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:35:22 AM »

Its amazing where some of these players trundle off to for the money!

taxi Phil

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 07:16:49 AM »

Its amazing where some of these players trundle off to for the money!

Maybe it's the chance to play Champions League football next season (one tie, in July, against a team we've never heard of from Azerbaijan).

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 10:53:22 AM »

I hope one Mr Sinclair gets a frosty reception if he pitches up at Moss Lane this year (thats if he isnt serving a suspension) .

Toff Apple

• Global Moderator
  • Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 12:18:28 PM »

I hope one Mr Sinclair gets a frosty reception if he pitches up at Moss Lane this year (thats if he isnt serving a suspension) .
In the back of todays Wrexham leader bemoaning the fact that he was on the wrong end of some dodgy reffing decisions last season accounting for his 4 red cards.
Bernard Taylors barmy army

bighairedmike

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 05:23:25 PM »

£2,000 per week and a 3 year contract can help..

If that is true then that is baffling.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 WREXHAM : 2010-11