News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Stuart Coburn appreciation society

Author Topic: Stuart Coburn appreciation society  (Read 2848 times)

Jezza

« on: October 04, 2009, 01:23:22 AM »

The man is God and worth at least a point a game......simples.

should have been in the football league years ago but that is our very lucky gain.

markecky

Re: Stuart Coburn appreciation society
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 01:27:39 AM »

I'll sign up for that.  He was immense today.

bighairedmike

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:25:57 AM »

I'll sig up for that. Wasnt at the game but still, he is indeed one of those foot thingies. I think yu say in yur country, a LEG-END!!!!

MichaelH

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 10:26:07 AM »

How come a football league club has never tried to sign him?

Is it because its very loyal to us

Longman

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:10:17 AM »

Well done Stu.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 11:13:16 AM »

How come a football league club has never tried to sign him?

Is it because its very loyal to us

They did. Crystal Palace were interested in him around the late 1990s but there was some slight medical issue IIRC, possibly to do with his knees. Just as well for us, a truly fantastic servant to Altrincham FC.

casper

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:36:56 PM »

[/quote]

They did. Crystal Palace were interested in him around the late 1990s but there was some slight medical issue IIRC, possibly to do with his knees. Just as well for us, a truly fantastic servant to Altrincham FC.
[/quote]

I didnt think it was crystal palace, but leicester city, where stu played a trial match, around the same time ellison went to leicester...

markecky

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »

I'm sure he went to Palace as well but maybe just for a one off game...

taxi Phil

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:47:05 PM »

[/quote]

I didnt think it was crystal palace, but leicester city, where stu played a trial match, around the same time ellison went to leicester...
[/quote]

Leicester were actually quite keen on Stu, but if I remember the problem was budgetary constraints. I believe they circulated a number of other clubs with a positive report, and the Palace episode may have followed on from there.

markecky

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 03:14:44 PM »

From the BBC in 2001...

Van driver Stuart Coburn is hoping to steer Altrincham to FA Cup glory at the expense of Tommy Taylor's Darlington.

The 26-year-old goalkeeper goes into the second round match against Darlington at Moss Lane on a high after saving three penalties in a game.

Coburn stopped one in normal time with the scores locked at 1-1 and two in the FA Trophy shoot-out victory over Accrington Stanley.

Watching Darlington manager Taylor would surely have been impressed with his match-winning display.

Coburn had trials with Crystal Palace and Leicester last season but was disappointed when nothing materialised.

"For the rest of the season I wasn't in top form as I had a lot on my mind, " he said.

"Every game I was playing I was being told that someone was watching me. You start to believe it and start to believe how good you are.

I have fallen asleep the last few nights thinking of what might happen if we get through to the next stage - but I'd settle for any big team
Altrincham's Stuart Coburn
"In the end it was getting on my nerves and affecting my game. It was no good for me and no good for the club."

He added: "Now if I am told somebody is watching me, I just put that out of my mind and concentrate on doing best for Altrincham.

"This season I have knuckled down and got on with it. I'm 26 now and don't know if full-time football will happen for me.

"If it doesn't happen then it was meant to be. But I have to say I am enjoying my time at Altrincham, they really look after you really well."

Coburn said he got a taste for the big time, working alongside former England keeper Tim Flowers at Leicester.

"I was really disappointed nothing developed. I went down with winger Kevin Ellison and he was signed up.

"Working with people like Tim Flowers, it was a different world. You just concentrate your own position.

"At Altrincham we having been playing on Saturday and Tuesday and working on set-plays on Thursday. The lads just want to bang goals past you, which doesn't help."

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:27:50 PM »

Good performance on Satdee i hear. Well Done Stu
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team