PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Favourite Alty Opening Day Fixtures
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Favourite Alty Opening Day Fixtures  (Read 5448 times)

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: August 15, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »

As alluded to elsewhere, this could be a very short thread.

Anyway...

1) Woking away, 08-09. Won 2-1. - This had everything. For me, the last great away day we've had. Knew we'd win it, big crowd, great atmosphere even though all in the Woking end. Hammered on Cardinal Gold beforehand, a decent Friday night out in Camden with the lads on Friday. This also turned into an epic 4 day session as I met some  mates and went out in Soho Saturday night before going to the Test at the Oval with Rosie on the SUnday, then stayed over at Jamie's. I watched England finish off their Test win on Monday before getting a train back with Jamie for the Barrow game Tuesday. And Colin Little's goal, summed him up to a tee. The most sublime piece of skill.

2) Yeovil away, 1994/95. Won 3-1. We'd only survived the previous season due to Kingy coming back (YEovil had been right in it too) so they didn't expect us to be any good but we knew with Sharratt, Terry and co that we'd win. We stormed into a first half lead with some great counter attacking.

3) Stevenage home 2-1 and in the 89/90 season Barnet home 2-1. There was a little something brewing before that Barnet game that perhaps we were starting to build a good side. That wouldn't come to fruition until a year later but still enjoyable for John McMahon scoring from a corner and a great diving header from Wayne Entwistle.

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Alty Opening Day Fixtures
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:24 AM »

Yeovil was a great one, that Stevenage result when you compare the sides now, was a fantastic result, a typical opening day oddity. The Worst being, the opening trio of 0-4 0-4 1-4 in unibond days.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:47:57 AM »

Alty 4 Worksop 1 1978-9

One nil down on the stroke of half time despite dominating, tore them apart in the second half and spent the last 20 minutes trying to tee up a debut goal for Barry Howard.

Weymouth 0 Alty 0 1979-80

The brave new world of the Alliance Premier League - you just KNEW life was never going to be the same again

GolfRoader

• Regular First Team
  • We are Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 01:55:06 PM »

As alluded to elsewhere, this could be a very short thread.

Anyway...

1) Woking away, 08-09. Won 2-1. - This had everything. For me, the last great away day we've had. Knew we'd win it, big crowd, great atmosphere even though all in the Woking end. Hammered on Cardinal Gold beforehand, a decent Friday night out in Camden with the lads on Friday. This also turned into an epic 4 day session as I met some  mates and went out in Soho Saturday night before going to the Test at the Oval with Rosie on the SUnday, then stayed over at Jamie's. I watched England finish off their Test win on Monday before getting a train back with Jamie for the Barrow game Tuesday. And Colin Little's goal, summed him up to a tee. The most sublime piece of skill.

Simply class: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaNisR6VIzc

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 02:03:46 PM »

Alty 4-3 Rushden & Diamonds  96/97

A real see-saw game that culminated in us coming back from 3-2 down to win 4-3 with two late goals. A great start to a tragic season.
Come on Alty!

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 02:23:46 PM »

1) Woking away, 08-09. Won 2-1. - This had everything. For me, the last great away day we've had. Knew we'd win it, big crowd, great atmosphere even though all in the Woking end. Hammered on Cardinal Gold beforehand, a decent Friday night out in Camden with the lads on Friday. This also turned into an epic 4 day session as I met some  mates and went out in Soho Saturday night before going to the Test at the Oval with Rosie on the SUnday, then stayed over at Jamie's. I watched England finish off their Test win on Monday before getting a train back with Jamie for the Barrow game Tuesday. And Colin Little's goal, summed him up to a tee. The most sublime piece of skill.

It was a great weekend. I remember being hammered and vomming on the train home from London Bridge, then getting straight back on it for the cricket on the Sunday morning. Felt delightful in work on the Monday....
Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 05:09:23 PM »

I've written an article for potential inclusion in the Robins Review for the Brackley Town game on Saturday, which comprises an overview of Alty's record on the opening day of the new league season from the advent of the Alliance Premier League in 1979 to the present day.

Hopefully, the various games, managers and goalscorers mentioned in the piece will evoke a few memories - both pleasant and painful!

Incidentally, there hasn't been a goalless draw in an opening day league fixture at Moss Lane since the 1977/78 season, when Wigan Athletic were the visitors.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 06:01:15 PM »

Incidentally, there hasn't been a goalless draw in an opening day league fixture at Moss Lane since the 1977/78 season, when Wigan Athletic were the visitors.

Well that's well and truly wished one on us for Saturday Barry !

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:10 PM »

It's all  a bit hazy after all these years, but the first game of our second season in the APL (we were defending champions of course) was at Stafford Rangers.
It was a glorious day, Alty had a sizeable away following and we outplayed them completely to win 3-0 (or possibly 3-1).
Those were the days.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 06:53:02 PM »

It's all  a bit hazy after all these years, but the first game of our second season in the APL (we were defending champions of course) was at Stafford Rangers.
It was a glorious day, Alty had a sizeable away following and we outplayed them completely to win 3-0 (or possibly 3-1).
Those were the days.

Saturday, 16th August 1980

A 3-1 victory with goals from Graham Heathcote; Graham Barrow and Barry Howard.

Halcyon days, indeed.

It's all in the aforementioned programme article....!

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »

Well that's well and truly wished one on us for Saturday Barry !

Phil,

But at least then we would have recorded our first clean sheet since Saturday, 5th November 2011...!

Hamilton

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »

I've written an article for potential inclusion in the Robins Review for the Brackley Town game on Saturday, which comprises an overview of Alty's record on the opening day of the new league season from the advent of the Alliance Premier League in 1979 to the present day.

Hopefully, the various games, managers and goalscorers mentioned in the piece will evoke a few memories - both pleasant and painful!

Whatever happened to them?

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 10:13:19 PM »

My Opening day top 3 would be;

1. Alty 4-3 Rushden anne diamonds. They had been talked up back in the mid 1990s like Fleetwood/Crawley have been now as the all conquering new money outfit. We were their first ever opponents in the Conference National after they'd pissed the Southern League and cast as lambs to the slaughter. I remember the sheer glee down the pop side as our late winner in a 4-3 epic went in and the mass finger was given towards the Chequers End. If only they could have ended that season at the end of that game, would have been a triumph. I wonder what ever happened to them....

2. Alty 3-2 Gateshead August 2000. First game back in the Unibond of the Mark Ward era, not an especially memorable season but I recall the opening day was a real thriller topped off by a last minute penalty winner from our new player-manager. Again, I wonder what ever happened to him.....

3. Woking 1-2 Alty. Already referenced but all our lads seemed to be out and on the booze that day and then there was that famous goal which as a bonus was filmed in a high quality clip from behind the goal by a generous Woking fan. I recall getting smashed til late on after the game in the Sovereigns near the ground with a few 'famous' Woking fans from Confguide. Woking was always a top day out it must be said.

markecky

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 10:17:39 PM »

It caused this!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:53 PM »

Ah the memories, quite a few on there who have posted on this very thread.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team