PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How many will Wrexham bring?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How many will Wrexham bring?  (Read 6672 times)

Mrs Warbouys

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: How many will Wrexham bring?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2023, 04:25:19 PM »

I would add, judging by ticket sales to date. If you haven’t got a ticket I would get one asap, I wouldn’t be surprised if as things are going there is no walk ups/cash turnstile on Saturday. So I’d get buying through the usual channels quickly

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2023, 05:11:53 PM »

They are getting what  every big following gets? 1600. A block of the family stand, bottom third of the pop side and the chequers that’s why the fencing is where it is. Exactly the same as Oldham. It’s hardly going to be like people can change ends with 4000 in anyway

Yeah, my wording wasn’t completely precise but yeah they get what Oldham got, what Chesterfield got, what Stockport got last season. Don’t quite understand the meltdown on here.

HashtagAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2023, 05:56:34 PM »

They are getting what  every big following gets? 1600. A block of the family stand, bottom third of the pop side and the chequers that’s why the fencing is where it is. Exactly the same as Oldham. It’s hardly going to be like people can change ends with 4000 in anyway

for a man who got upset by a towel on saturday; I would have thought you'd want maximum competitive advantage.
It's all my fault.

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2023, 07:19:30 PM »

On their day, Wrexham are a class apart from any other team in this league and so I think the best we can hope for is not to ship 4 or 5 without reply.  That said, Wrexham will be tired from their dealings in the FA Cup, so we should not write ourselves out of it yet.  On the subject of gaining maximum revenue from the away section, I think the Club will be mindful that not giving sufficient space to those that are travelling will increase the likelihood of them ending up in the home section.  While I can see why you wouldn't  want to give them any advantage, I think the opportunity to increase the coffers when funds are sorely needed, has to be taken.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2023, 07:41:55 PM »

People who like to stand on the Chequers End are already p'd off most matches presumably so it's a bit late for that. Would it be such a big deal for most people to give up half of the pop side (or indeed more) for one match? And I don't see that it would make any difference to the result. No segregation on Saturday but we still got beaten by a better team, the same is likely (but not certain) to happen with Wrexham.

Anyway, back to "real" non-league tomorrow!

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2023, 08:13:39 PM »

People who like to stand on the Chequers End are already p'd off most matches presumably so it's a bit late for that. Would it be such a big deal for most people to give up half of the pop side (or indeed more) for one match? And I don't see that it would make any difference to the result. No segregation on Saturday but we still got beaten by a better team, the same is likely (but not certain) to happen with Wrexham.

Anyway, back to "real" non-league tomorrow!

The Chequers end is the away end it’s obvious to most our fans wouldn’t stand there on big games, you do sometimes spout a load of bollocks to be fair.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2023, 08:42:17 PM »

Most games weren't segregated until relatively recently though were they? People who used to stand there adapted, and people who stood on that half of the pop side will adapt to the loss of that section that the increased number of games with large away support have made necessary. Meltdown is the word, and I ask again, what is the big deal? I have adapted to changes without going off on one to people who disagree. Whilst in some ways not ideal, I reiterate that if  there is the demand from Wrexham supporters, and if home supporters would not fill the rest of the ground, giving most or all of the pop side to away supporters in this case would be the sensible thing to do if feasible. And we know that away supporters will go in home sections for these games if not given sufficient capacity, as happened for the Oldham game.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:01:20 PM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2023, 08:46:30 PM »

We gave Wrexham this many when they played here on a bank holiday a few years back! Personally I would be happy to give them the whole popular side if it meant a bigger crowd, but I suppose there may be problems with that.

Why the f**k would you do that.

Why not? Not hard to think of reasons why we would do that (though whether they are stronger than the ones against is a matter for debate - which I am doing in good faith and in a good spirit despite the meltdown!). And I should add that last season was the first time  in our history that segregtion was the norm for league games thus denying home supporters the Chequers End, but, as I say, I and others adapted. Do try thinking about what you say.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 09:03:53 PM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2023, 08:51:25 PM »

Spot on, as usual.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2023, 08:54:11 PM »

Why? We’re going to most likely lose heavily anyway. We may as well try and make as much money from the fixture as possible to help fund the squad as we go on. We should be looking to pack in as many as we are (safely) able to.

Agreed, a touch of realism required here - our season doesn't ride on the on-pitch result, but the money we can bring in through the gate on the evening could possibly make a difference.

Okay, lets piss off anyone who stands under the gantry, and any one who stands under the flaggers stand to accomodate the once* a season fans.

Sure theyll be delighted to be moved, without comms.

We're making 2nd class fans for another side on national TV

Totally agree with Jack.
 Fans are the Bedrock of any sports club, why should home fans be squeezed out just so the away fans can outnumber the home fans. The next time Altrincham FC launch a crowd funding scheme I will guarantee no Wrexham fans will be sending any donations.
I realise the income is important but surrendering home support standing room will not generate enough extra   money to make a big enough difference.

Maybe we should employ a Welsh speaking ground announcer to make the Wrexham hoards really feel at home..

As others have said this game won’t be an easy watch anyway, let’s not make it even easier for them..

Don't worry, most Wrexham fans speak good English.  ;)

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2023, 09:47:53 PM »

Most games weren't segregated until relatively recently though were they? People who used to stand there adapted, and people who stood on that half of the pop side will adapt to the loss of that section that the increased number of games with large away support have made necessary. Meltdown is the word, and I ask again, what is the big deal? I have adapted to changes without going off on one to people who disagree. Whilst in some ways not ideal, I reiterate that if  there is the demand from Wrexham supporters, and if home supporters would not fill the rest of the ground, giving most or all of the pop side to away supporters in this case would be the sensible thing to do if feasible. And we know that away supporters will go in home sections for these games if not given sufficient capacity, as happened for the Oldham game.

Ok . So if you want to make lots of money off the away fans why don’t we let them use the bar facilities like most other clubs do. I have no problem giving up half the pop side but the way the fencing is constructed you can’t see much as it becomes a restricted view. I will watch it on the telly. I’m a season ticket holder so don’t panic I’ve already paid for an entrance fee.

Sale Holmfield

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2023, 10:12:16 PM »

Why? We’re going to most likely lose heavily anyway. We may as well try and make as much money from the fixture as possible to help fund the squad as we go on. We should be looking to pack in as many as we are (safely) able to.

Agreed, a touch of realism required here - our season doesn't ride on the on-pitch result, but the money we can bring in through the gate on the evening could possibly make a difference.

Okay, lets piss off anyone who stands under the gantry, and any one who stands under the flaggers stand to accomodate the once* a season fans.

Totally agree with Jack.
 Fans are the Bedrock of any sports club, why should home fans be squeezed out just so the away fans can outnumber the home fans. The next time Altrincham FC launch a crowd funding scheme I will guarantee no Wrexham fans will be sending any donations.
I realise the income is important but surrendering home support standing room will not generate enough extra   money to make a big enough difference.

Maybe we should employ a Welsh speaking ground announcer to make the Wrexham hoards really feel at home..

As others have said this game won’t be an easy watch anyway, let’s not make it even easier for them..

Some of us can also speak some Welsh,too, though, I should add.
With an expected crowd of 4000, the majority of whom will be home fans, we surely don't want the home fans to be crammed into a restricted section of the ground. As Mrs Warbouys describes, a well supported away club gets a decent proportion of the ground. I see no reason for any greater area than that, as it's not as if the rest of the ground will be empty.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2023, 10:18:07 PM »

Also a season ticket holder!

I agree, a lot needs doing to the pop side and indeed the away end - and I think of for example what is on offer at Burton Albion. And I look forward to things like this happening in the future. The more money we make, the sooner this can happen. Can people take short term inconveniences for the greater good? If of course there turns out to be such a depth of feeling against giving up part of the popular side to the extent that this does more harm than good, then obviously I am willing to accept that this could be a bad idea (even though it doesn't bother me. Much). I'd just like to see evidence for this though, that is all.

Wrexham supporters have indeed used our bar in the past (and we have used Chester "City"'s bar for that matter), and I would certainly prefer it if they were still able to do so (with all due respect to the King George pub).
« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 10:25:40 PM by Hugh »

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2023, 10:21:37 PM »

Totally agree with Jack.

Some of us can also speak some Welsh,too, though, I should add.
With an expected crowd of 4000, the majority of whom will be home fans, we surely don't want the home fans to be crammed into a restricted section of the ground. As Mrs Warbouys describes, a well supported away club gets a decent proportion of the ground. I see no reason for any greater area than that, as it's not as if the rest of the ground will be empty.

It's just that, with a reported capacity of  5,000, it seems a pity not to use as much of it as possible. I don't mind that much where I stand, so long as I (and any other Altrincham supporter) can see the game. Prove me wrong...

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2023, 10:31:28 PM »

On their day, Wrexham are a class apart from any other team in this league and so I think the best we can hope for is not to ship 4 or 5 without reply.  That said, Wrexham will be tired from their dealings in the FA Cup, so we should not write ourselves out of it yet.  On the subject of gaining maximum revenue from the away section, I think the Club will be mindful that not giving sufficient space to those that are travelling will increase the likelihood of them ending up in the home section.  While I can see why you wouldn't  want to give them any advantage, I think the opportunity to increase the coffers when funds are sorely needed, has to be taken.
are we struggling for money ? After all the recent money raised and sale of Coco and probably Toby I would have thought we were in a very healthy position for money .
ParkINson's red and white army
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How many will Wrexham bring?