News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 BBC utilise Journalistic Licence again

Author Topic: BBC utilise Journalistic Licence again  (Read 1922 times)

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:50:03 PM »

According to the BBC the Eastbourne winner was ' a thunderbolt'

Not quite the term I'd have employed perhaps

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: BBC utilise Journalistic Licence again
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »

According to the BBC the Eastbourne winner was ' a thunderbolt'

Not quite the term I'd have employed perhaps

Even John Wood would have saved that shot.

That moment in the second half, when Dootson attempted to punch away an Eastbourne corner was a moment of high farce.

He's been awful for us.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Jezza

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 07:30:24 AM »

That display from Dootson ranks for me right up there with Matt Dickens V Guisely....

And yes Cult...his superman flying through the air image for that cross will live long in the memory..

If ken Mckenna has a weakness it is in spotting goalkeeper talent....can't remember which video it was but there was one posted that had calamity james written all over it....

He had four 'shots' to deal with all afternoon....

dopamine

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 07:35:18 AM »

Four 'shots', 2 of which were absolute screamers ('thunderbolts' to use the BBC's word).  So that leaves 2.  One of which was arguably as much the defence's fault as his as there was no way he could have stayed on his line and had a chance with it.  Yes, the fourth was unforgivable, and he can't handle balls into the box, but you can't blame him that much for the four goals we conceded.  The most worrying thing for me was the defence backing off and allowing the Eastbourne players to cut inside and get the shots away...

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »

screamers????????......looked like the defenders were restricting them to long range shots which the keeper should be able to cover...both of them just bobbled past the hapless doots who seemed in both cases to have them indeed covered...honestly believe Stuart would have let in the lob, got to at least one of the 'screamers' and would never in a million years alowed the last one in...

I agree the defenders didn't challenge but thought that was because there was no midfield cover...in which case holding them as far from goal is better than sliding in and leaving them one on one as you'd expect a long ranger to be dealt with comnfortably by an alert keeper.

dopamine

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:40:17 AM »

The 3rd didn't bobble, it went top corner with a fair bit of power, certainly no bobbling or chance for Dootson there.  The 2nd was more loopy, but still was a very decent strike (there may have been a deflection, i can't remember...). 

I agree on the million years part, though thinking you may be doing Stuart a disservice by suggesting that short a time  :P
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:43:50 AM by dopamine »

ALTYGAL

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 09:34:41 AM »

Dootson is a poor positional keeper end of. Thanks doots but bye bye

joe

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 10:29:34 AM »

Any decent keeper would have stopped the second. He didn't move until it was too late and it certainly wasn't a screamer!  The third was a great strike which would've beaten most keepers though to be fair.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team