News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Old rivals on the radar

Author Topic: Old rivals on the radar  (Read 3115 times)

taxi Phil

Old rivals on the radar
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »

I hadn't looked very closely at the Zamaretto League for some time, due to a combination of delusional optimism about our chances of staying up, and the apparent two horse race between Truro and Salisbury. Imagine my surprise on glancing at it today to see that Salisbury have dropped to 3rd. ;D and have been overtaken by HEDNESFORD TOWN.

Last time I REALLY looked they weren't even in a play off spot, but their form in 2011 reads P 17  W 14  D 1 L 2 !

Good luck to the Pitmen - would love it if they got out of the play-offs at the expense of the Wiltshire cheats.

Oh - and old rivals NOT on the radar ? A certain green and white clad club a short way down the road have dropped into the bottom half of the Evo Stik Premier (lost at home to the mighty Frickley Athletic yesterday), and will stay there unless they win at least 2 of their last 3 matches. Not that I'm (very) vindictive, but at the moment one must get one's solace where one may  :D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:03:48 PM by taxi Phil »

John Crewe

Re: Old rivals on the radar
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:48:13 PM »

since when have hednesford been an old rival of ajtrincham?

Dougals Dad

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »

I would say they were annoyingly tough opposition rather than rivals

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »

Many a good battle with them in the 80's unless the old Alzheimers has kicked in again !

Phil,

We first met Hednesford Town in an FA Trophy tie on their old ground in January 1995.

As for their new stadium, I recollect a painful 5-0 Conference defeat there in February 2000....and I don't think that we've played them since that league fixture.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

taxi Phil

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:22:40 AM »

We actually met them in the 90's. Their first Conference season was 1995/6 when they had a very useful side and finished 3rd. then 8th. in our 1996/7 relegation season. When we came back 1n 1999/2000, only to go straight back down again, they'd lapsed to the bottom 6, and went down themselves in bottom place the following season.

I seem to remember them as  a tough side to break down, who usually looked dangerous on the break. So not a long rivalry - but a healthy one as I recall.

Anyway, good luck to them - their recent run deserves some reward.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:54:11 AM by taxi Phil »

Jezza

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 05:52:11 AM »

Is my mind playing tricks or weren't they the ones who scored a very late goal which was announced by Mark Harris "goal for Hednesford scored in the EIGHTH minute of injury time".......

markecky

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 07:48:51 AM »

Is my mind playing tricks or weren't they the ones who scored a very late goal which was announced by Mark Harris "goal for Hednesford scored in the EIGHTH minute of injury time".......

Didn't one of there fans come marching into our social after the game with huge Indian chief feathers on his head and a drum singing "going down"...( no..really)

He didnt last long with that...

bighairedmike

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »

Many a good battle with them in the 80's unless the old Alzheimers has kicked in again !

Phil,

We first met Hednesford Town in an FA Trophy tie on their old ground in January 1995.

As for their new stadium, I recollect a painful 5-0 Conference defeat there in February 2000....and I don't think that we've played them since that league fixture.

I remember that game! I was 8 years old, the game was awful but on the plus side, the snack vans sold Candy Floss. Its strange what you remember, really...

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 12:06:47 PM »

Didn't one of there fans come marching into our social after the game with huge Indian chief feathers on his head and a drum singing "going down"...( no..really)

I thought that was a Dover fan? Didn't he shout "you're goin' daaaaahn Altrincham!" at the top of his voice?
Come on Alty!

markecky

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »

I thought that was a Dover fan? Didn't he shout "you're goin' daaaaahn Altrincham!" at the top of his voice?

That happened as well mate...he thought he was clever shouting it from the exit gate at the Chequers end.  I think it took about three people round my neck to stop me getting to him that day in a Gary Warrington style charge to the away end!  Redmist.com that one was...

Never understood why clubs with no rivalry to you do that.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »

That happened as well mate...he thought he was clever shouting it from the exit gate at the Chequers end.  I think it took about three people round my neck to stop me getting to him that day in a Gary Warrington style charge to the away end!  Redmist.com that one was...

Never understood why clubs with no rivalry to you do that.

Me neither.

I have also earned my stripes in the "pointless charge towards the away end" stakes.   :-[
Come on Alty!

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »

Jezza,

Tuesday, 25th March 1997
GMVC

Altrincham...1  Hednesford Town...1

I recollect that fateful game all too well.

It was during that late season run when we just couldn't scramble a win from anywhere.

Anyhow, we were 1-0 up and then Mick Carmody got sent off late in the game.

Deep into added time, a Hednesford shot was destined for the top corner of Alty's net at the Golf Road End - until Darren Heesom's outstretched hand tipped the ball over the crossbar.

Heesom received a red card and then Hednesford duly scored via the resultant penalty kick, thereby prompting Mark Harris' celebrated announcement of the late equaliser over the Moss Lane PA system....

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 12:56:16 PM »

Towards the end of the season, at risk of going down, couldn't find a win anywhere, leading and had a man sent off, and as a consequence only drew.

Sounds familiar!

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 08:42:37 PM »

My random Hednesford memory was a meaningless 2-1 defeat there at possibly the end of the 95-96 season and for whatever reason they had nothing over the PA at half time, no scores, songs, nothing, odd with their then shiny new ground,  someone shouted 'Have you not got any records then?', don't know why but that seemed to stick out. The 96-97 home game was one of the most sickening Alty home games I've ever witnessed and there were a large number that season too.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Old rivals on the radar