PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wingers... Barry Howard / Paul Showler / Ryan Colclough
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wingers... Barry Howard / Paul Showler / Ryan Colclough  (Read 3726 times)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Wingers... Barry Howard / Paul Showler / Ryan Colclough
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2023, 08:57:43 AM »

In my time watching Alty we've had a number of great wingers but the 3 who stand out for me would be Barry Howard, Paul Showler and Ryan Colclough. I wonder how others would compare them - BH was a scorer of great and important goals as well as a creator for others while playing in a top side over several seasons. PS was the star of another top side, albeit only for a season and losing him was a huge blow at the time. RC has been excellent in a mid table side and could potentially hit greater heights with a prolific striker to convert the chances he creates. Its difficult to compare eras but I think Barry Howard would be my choice of the 3, he was unorthodox but entertaining and ultimately a key member of our most successful time. I can even overlook the bubble perm he sported for a lot of the time with us 😄

Honourable mentions for 2 of my own personal favourites of my early years, Ian Morris and John Vernon.

Paul

It may be an instance of my heart ruling my head but I have to champion the adulation for Barry Howard, who was such an entertaining and influential member of the most successful Altrincham FC team that I will probably get to watch in my lifetime. Sheffield United at Moss Lane in November 1981 - enough said.

Showler just edging ahead of Colclough, largely for the sheer joy that he brought during that unforgettable 1990/91 campaign.

Honourable mentions to both Stuart Terry and Chris Sharratt for that 1994/95 season and not forgetting Colin Potts for a significant contribution in that 2004/05 promotion-winning team.
  Barry blunted the Blades , two goals and one a worldie . The one v Rotherham wasn't far behind a nd his performance at Anfield was great too , the more i look back i will elevate Barry to equal first !      What is certain is we have been blessed with so many top class wingers over the years it's easy to forget some of them !  I will add Dan Mooney to that list who occasionally outshone even Ryan .    Keep em coming fellas .

andrewflynn

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 09:22:32 AM »

Only going off my time:

1) Ryan Colclough
2) Duncan Watmore
3) Nicky Clee
4) Elliot Durrell
5) Colin Potts

Watmore is undoubtedly the best player of the five, but we only saw the raw potential here. In Colclough, we've experienced a finished article in his prime.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2023, 11:21:19 AM »

Only going off my time:

1) Ryan Colclough
2) Duncan Watmore
3) Nicky Clee
4) Elliot Durrell
5) Colin Potts

Watmore is undoubtedly the best player of the five, but we only saw the raw potential here. In Colclough, we've experienced a finished article in his prime.
Your Watmore/Colclough observation is spot on
 Changed my pecking order now.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2023, 11:25:37 AM »

Frank Carrodus
Harold

PukkaPieman

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2023, 03:02:55 PM »

As good as Ryan is,.. this is my order

1) Paul Showler
2) Ryan Colclough
3) Duncan Watmore (not a winger really)
4) Nicky Clee

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2023, 04:09:28 PM »

In no particular order:

Carlos Logan
Danny McGoona
Steve Torpey

In all seriousness this is a great thread. How you measure it certainly affects the results. Showler brought the club closest to glory. However, Watmore has gone on to make the club proud at a much higher level than Showler managed in the end. 

With Ryan we've never signed a player that has made any of my mates message me "how have you signed him?" Other than the time it was my Northampton town fan mate asking what Joe Bunney was doing at the club stealing a wage.

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2023, 06:36:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Wingers... Barry Howard / Paul Showler / Ryan Colclough