PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Opinion on Oxford from someone who acually went
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Opinion on Oxford from someone who acually went  (Read 6034 times)

markecky

« on: January 05, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »

Today simply showed the gulf between the top and bottom sides in this league.  We were niave to think we could get anything today.

Oxford were superbly organised, played good football, had more skillful players and did not let us get a kick.

Forget recent form, they are a team who will be in the playoffs.

They had a dream day.

1) Its an edgy start by both teams, we make a slip, the debutant strker bursts through to finish well.

2) Perfectly timed penalty on 41 mins, cooly despatched by the previously out of form striker to pep him up and put them in a strong position to relax

3) Second half, newly pepped up striker scores cracking goal to end match.

4) We keep chasing, get caught out they grab an easy fourth.

It was a textbook day for them. Yes we were poor but they never allowed us anything at all, and were suiitably above us skill wise to stop anything we did try.

Its the first time I have been to Oxford, the place is amazing.  We have no right to expect anything there and we got nothing.

We must forget it and move on to Tuesday.  We had the hardest game today of the bottom six and it showed.

Therewas nothing wrong with the tactics or the subs, we were simply beaten by a better side.

Longman

Re: Opinion on Oxford from someone who acually went
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 08:59:41 PM »

Today simply showed the gulf between the top and bottom sides in this league.  We were niave to think we could get anything today.

Oxford were superbly organised, played good football, had more skillful players and did not let us get a kick.

Forget recent form, they are a team who will be in the playoffs.

They had a dream day.

1) Its an edgy start by both teams, we make a slip, the debutant strker bursts through to finish well.

2) Perfectly timed penalty on 41 mins, cooly despatched by the previously out of form striker to pep him up and put them in a strong position to relax

3) Second half, newly pepped up striker scores cracking goal to end match.

4) We keep chasing, get caught out they grab an easy fourth.

It was a textbook day for them. Yes we were poor but they never allowed us anything at all, and were suiitably above us skill wise to stop anything we did try.

Its the first time I have been to Oxford, the place is amazing.  We have no right to expect anything there and we got nothing.

We must forget it and move on to Tuesday.  We had the hardest game today of the bottom six and it showed.

Therewas nothing wrong with the tactics or the subs, we were simply beaten by a better side.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with the last comment about nothing being wrong with the tactics or subs, why at 2-0 down, or even 3-0 down when we were clearly getting nothing from the game and didn't look close to scoring did he not change it up a little???  Where was his contingency plan??  There is no point in just lying down and accepting that they are the better side and letting them roll us over, lets get at them and give it a go, we had nothing to lose today, especially after we were 2 down at half time!

markecky

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:03:51 PM »

If we had made any changes I believe they would have beaten us 7-0.

Longman

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 09:13:59 PM »

If we had made any changes I believe they would have beaten us 7-0.

They may have done, I just thought we were too negative today, even considering we were away from home.  We seemed to lack belief from the off, we didn't trouble them once (bar robbie's spurned header).

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 09:17:14 PM »

They had a dream day.

Unfortunately, most teams we have encountered this season enjoy a dream day with our 'defence'!

Ecky, their radio commentators and 'pundits' were genuinely surprised by how poor Alty were.
Perhaps they expected more from us based on the battling draw achieved there last season?

Surely Vics being at home to the league leaders with the best away record in the BSP was a trickier task, particularly as, prior to this afternoon, mid table Oxford had been finding scoring goals even more difficult than us?!

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Longman

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 09:24:58 PM »

They had a dream day.

Unfortunately, most teams we have encountered this season enjoy a dream day with our 'defence'!

Ecky, their radio commentators and 'pundits' were genuinely surprised by how poor Alty were.
Perhaps they expected more from us based on the battling draw achieved there last season?

Surely Vics being at home to the league leaders with the best away record in the BSP was a trickier task, particularly as, prior to this afternoon, mid table Oxford had been finding scoring goals even more difficult than us?!

We were apalling and never tried to really get at them, we hardly got in their box all game, it just simply wasn't good enough.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:25:20 PM »

The radio commentary made us sound appalling, but I'd rather go with the point of view of someone with reasonable perspective & who was there.

We are in a small league at the bottom end of the table & cannot reasonably compete with such teams on a regular basis. It sounds, as I suggested earlier, that we ignore Oxford's recent run of form and realise that today is the real Oxford (now they have recovered from Jim Smith)

Quite simply,although we appear to have been below par, ultimately  Oxford were a very good team today
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 09:29:16 PM by Jennifers Dad »

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 09:28:48 PM »

We are in a small league at the bottom end of the table & cannot reasonably compete with such teams on a regular basis. It sounds, as I suggested earlier, that we ignore Oxford's recent run of form and realise that today is the real Oxford (now they have recovered from Jim Smith)

Well, as long as they thrash Weymouth on Tuesday night then.......
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »

Well, as long as they thrash Weymouth on Tuesday night then.......

They better bloody well do. (But they'll probably have a nightmare & lose 3-0!)

Longman

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »

The radio commentary made us sound appalling, but I'd rather go with the point of view of someone with reasonable perspective & who was there.

I was also at the game Jenifers Dad!  

I do not dismiss the fact that there is a gulf between the full time teams and us part timers, however I do not see the point in not trying something when we are 2-0 down and clearly on course to get nothing from the game!  We were once again hoofing it all game, I thought we may have had put an end to that after NYD when we played some decent football at times.  You aren't going to score against a mean defence by just hoofing at their centre backs to gobble up, which they happily did all day!!!

markecky

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »

Oxford were always going to come out of that run of form.  Today was the day.

We were poor today. Although I just feel they were so full of confidence after the way the goals went they could enjoy it.

For me they simply had an answer for all we could conjur up. and to be honest so they should.

As for radio commentators and pundits, like all ex league teams, they treat Alty with distaste as though we have no right to be on the same pitch as them.

I'm as guilty as a lot of people on here.  I let myself think we had a chance today.  It was obvious from 5 minutes in that we did not.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 09:35:32 PM »

I was also at the game Jenifers Dad!  

I do not dismiss the fact that there is a gulf between the full time teams and us part timers, however I do not see the point in not trying something when we are 2-0 down and clearly on course to get nothing from the game!  We were once again hoofing it all game, I thought we may have had put an end to that after NYD when we played some decent football at times.  You aren't going to score against a mean defence by just hoofing at their centre backs to gobble up, which they happily did all day!!!

Sorry Longman, I didn't realise you had gone.

As for the "Hoofing," I too hope we stop that peurile tactic. We can play better than that. It seems to be a panic tactic.

bighairedmike

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »

For the second half we listened to the radio commentary as we were watching the match and forecasting the more 'interesting' bits to people around us.

The commentators knew nothing about us and was not watching the match properly (highlighted by the fact that mcfadden went off and up until the 88th minute was 'scampering down the wing after a good ball played by that defender')

Yes we were poor but apparently that was the best oxford have played all season. That is why they are mid-table.

Thought the new signings were good today, not as good as tuesday but we were playing a better team. Simple as.

King played ok and was unlucky to get booked, shotton was solid, jennings had a good game, Cahill wanted the ball and did a lot of running. If we had got the ball to him quicker things would have been different. Toulson also looked lively and played fairly well. Greg young played well when he came on and he looks rather fast.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 09:57:08 PM »

Yes we were poor but apparently that was the best oxford have played all season. That is why they are mid-table.

So lets just put this one down to experience & get on with beating Kiddie.

Unemployed Coalminer

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »

"We have no right to expect anything there and we got nothing."

No wonder we've abandoned out FA Cup giant-killing status.
Pages: [1] 2 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team