PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non Alty - Man U
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Non Alty - Man U  (Read 6033 times)

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Non Alty - Man U
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »

You're missing my main point, which is that Galatasaray effecitively got a walkover in a game they normally would have lost against a full strength United side. It showed a total lack of respect to the other two teams in that group and it shouldn't have been allowed to happen. I reject the idea that they "earned the right" to do what they did as well. Perhaps from a purely selfish point of view they had earned that right, but in the spirit of the game they had a duty to try their best to beat Galatasaray.

This.

JDN

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 09:38:43 AM »

You're missing my main point, which is that Galatasaray effecitively got a walkover in a game they normally would have lost against a full strength United side. It showed a total lack of respect to the other two teams in that group and it shouldn't have been allowed to happen. I reject the idea that they "earned the right" to do what they did as well. Perhaps from a purely selfish point of view they had earned that right, but in the spirit of the game they had a duty to try their best to beat Galatasaray.
So did Congleton

Hamilton

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 09:40:13 AM »

It all goes to show the double standards that exist in football. Wolves got punished for resting players at Old Trafford and the media were all over it, but United do it in the Champions League and nobody bats an eyelid because the media is up Ferguson's arse.

That's not how I recall it. Most of the media commentary was critical of the fine handed to Wolves, thinking it over the top.

And anyway, the situations are not in any way comparable. Wolves desperately needed points as part of their PL campaign. But they seemed to be resigned to defeat before a ball was kicked. Whereas Manchester United had absolutely nothing to gain from winning their match. They were already through as group winners.

Ferguson has a lot of enemies within the media, by the way...

and if some of them are up his arse he must have lots of enemas in the media too!

Hamilton

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 09:42:58 AM »

So did Congleton

The difference is that Man U's selection was to the detriment to the other teams in the group. Alty's selection was to our own detriment only.

However, I agree that if a manager has a squad he has every right to use it!

JDN

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 09:45:27 AM »

Disagree

Didn't Congleton have unfair advantage to get through

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »

So did Congleton

Keep up Jamie, I've already explained that in an earlier post.
Come on Alty!

JDN

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »

Who Jamie?

Sinnott played weaken team, Fergie played weaken team

It the same

fuertes

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »

It's not Manchester United's responsiblity to do their absolute utmost to do teams other than Galatasaray in their group a favour. It's their responsibility to do as well for themselves as they possibly can.

I agree that just throwing the game with the players hardly trying a leg would have shown a lack of class. But to be fair, from what I've heard, that didn't happen. Ferguson even made reference to the fact that he thought it was proper his team should take the game seriously.

I wouldn't want Alty playing a full-strength side if there was nothing to gain and we had more important fixtures coming up. If any other teams didn't like it, I'd suggest they should have picked up more points beforehand.

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »

Who Jamie?

Sinnott played weaken team, Fergie played weaken team

It the same

Wrong.

United's decision to play a weakened team directly affected two other team's potential chances of progressing.

Ours only affected ourselves.

That is the last I'm saying on the subject.
Come on Alty!

taxi Phil

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 10:11:36 AM »

A full strength United side would not have been guaranteed to win a difficult match in a hostile atmosphere, especially since they didn't need to ! And to judge by their performances, City have played a weak line up in all FIVE of their games  ;)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 11:06:30 AM »

Agree to disagree. Let's talk about Alty instead!  :)
Come on Alty!

VofD

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2012, 12:53:40 PM »

Agree to disagree. Let's talk about Alty instead!   :)

Agreed. Could Non Alty threads please be placed in the "Non Altrincham FC talk" section on the home page. >:( >:( >:(

JDN

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »

I am talking about Alty

Altrincham playing weaken team unfairly enhanced Congletons chances of progress in the CSC

Jimmy

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »

Ferguson has a lot of enemies within the media, by the way...
[/quote]

He has a hell of a lot more friends but I agree with his selection

Robin Reliant

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 05:47:54 PM »

A team has to  contain players nominated at the start of the season. Who is to say if its weaker or stronger...its working within the rules.
A comparable situation was that of Ferrari to "change" Massa's gearbox in order to benefit Alonso. It's "legal" within the rules.
This action also disadvantaged others, but unless the governing bodies change the rules, teams should work to them.

Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Non Alty - Man U