PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 John McAliskey
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John McAliskey  (Read 5148 times)

RocketDan

John McAliskey
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:45:03 PM »

I was disappointed to see neither Denham or Senior starting, can't well till Dale is back next season.

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: John McAliskey
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:58:45 PM »

A bit unfair if the lad is genuinely trying to get fit. Hope he doesn't read the forum.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

beaker141

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 09:01:21 PM »

I dont think JM looks like a footballer, he looks like he is slouching all the time as though he just cant be bothered, there was one point in the first half where he could have ran top speed towards there goally and had a chance to get the ball but he just jogged and didnt commit, Chris Senior would have run like heck to get to the ball before the keeper.

I guess with no pressure GH is giving him a good trial now whilst it doesnt have a big impact on anything.

OldhamAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »

Quite harsh, he looks to me like a man with no confidence more than anything. Though I will agree his fitness needs working on.

Jezza

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:33:47 PM »

Think the 'cote wants someone who can hold the ball up....JM does at least do that fairly well....big step up for the lad....don't destroy his confidence.

If he wants to make it, maybe if he did do a bit more lost cause chasing it would help his cause.....

We did look far more dangerous after the subs but by then oxford were maybe settling for what they had got?

VofD

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »

COMPLETELY OUT OF HIS DEPTH.

jimmyhank

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:44:33 AM »

Think the 'cote wants someone who can hold the ball up....JM does at least do that fairly well....big step up for the lad....don't destroy his confidence.

If he wants to make it, maybe if he did do a bit more lost cause chasing it would help his cause.....

We did look far more dangerous after the subs but by then oxford were maybe settling for what they had got?

They definitely settled for what they had. As for JM he does look a little out of his depth but could progress given time.

taxi Phil

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 02:46:55 AM »

If he's prepared to work on his fitness in close season, and lose a few surplus pounds, he could still do a job for us - though if Dale's fit he'll be warming the bench, or out on loan at a lower level (I'd prefer the latter as that'll keep him up to speed).

RedhillAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 05:20:08 AM »

I agree that JM does look out of his depth and not fit enough YET, at this level. I think that he holds the ball up very well. I also think he does not get much protection from Refs and seems to get a lot tackles from behind that go unpunished. The "cant be bothered tag" is very unfair and untrue. He certainly comes accross as a tryer, unlike a few players that have been given fleeting chances in the Alty team in the recent past. I dont think a player should be criticised for doing his best both with personal abilty and as a team player, whcih JM certainly does in both cases - there again maybe I should expect that from some of those that come on this forum. I think a fitter and leaner JM would be a better asset to this squad.  Plus he is a very nice lad and deserves his chance.

Jacko

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 07:25:47 AM »

Even if I stuck up for jm I can see a case for all his criticisms so I won't, can he really improve to be a conference centre forward?

seasonticket

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 08:32:51 AM »

Redhill has it spot on.
I know this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion but yesterday JM had a mostly good game. He is just one of those players who is lacking in pace. He made some good flick ons, he held the ball up, well but unfortunately he has not got the pace to chase lost causes.
Keep critisizing the lad if you are intent on destroying what in time could become a very useful asset

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »

Redhill has it spot on.
I know this is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion but yesterday JM had a mostly good game. He is just one of those players who is lacking in pace. He made some good flick ons, he held the ball up, well but unfortunately he has not got the pace to chase lost causes.
Keep critisizing the lad if you are intent on destroying what in time could become a very useful asset

Agree 100%. JM holding the ball up well relieves a lot of pressure - lumping the ball up to Senior & Denham is not the same as they can't win it in the air and it comes straight back to put pressure on the defence.

IF JM can increase his mobility / speed in the close season he would be a very good asset at this level. That's up to the player really.

taxi Phil

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »

And I would remind all the doubters that similar things were said about Nicky Clee early in the season........

Jacko

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 10:47:41 AM »

Redhill has it spot on.

Agree 100%. JM holding the ball up well relieves a lot of pressure - lumping the ball up to Senior & Denham is not the same as they can't win it in the air and it comes straight back to put pressure on the defence.

IF JM can increase his mobility / speed in the close season he would be a very good asset at this level. That's up to the player really.
This is getting ridiculous, colin little held the ball up far better than jm yesterday but has the distribution to follow, at his age he has more pace and endeavour, I wouldn't go as far to post lard on the forum but to say he could be an asset at this level is jawdroppingly bizaar imo, its not destructive to knock a player when they try to prove people wrong  as he,s clearly trying  
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 10:55:56 AM by Jacko »

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 02:26:44 PM »

Bang out of order.

Be critical if you wish.....afterall it's a forum.......however to resort to stupid pictures to make a point against one of our own players is pathetic

JM is worth keeping - let him have a full pre-season and take it from there. If he doesn't cut the mustard, then there are people at the club with the initials GH & KM who will know what to do.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 02:29:03 PM by Mick »
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 John McAliskey