PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Gateshead Match Thread  (Read 9521 times)

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Gateshead Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2023, 07:37:46 PM »

Some finish from the wOrST eVeR aLtRiNcHaM pLaYeR…….
So glad I didn't have to be the only one to say this.

7 in 12 is a decent return for them...

👍 Look, we were right to let him go as he simply wasn’t converting for us. But he was always on the end of chances and had the second highest xG (if you rea
d into it) in the League after Langstaff. Clearly a confidence player that never clicked at Alty.

Never a bad player and some of the stick he got on here and in person absolutely reeked. Should be ashamed.
"Never a bad player". I presume you're joking there.
I always said he was probably a very nice person, just a terrible player for Alty.
I'm glad he seems to have found a team he can play better for.

This
Did'nt rate him much personally but to label him our ' worst ever ' is well o.t.t. in my opinion . The likes of George Hudson , Ted Dickin , Dick Young , Dave Furnival , Wayne Entwistle , John McAliskey and maybe George Bowerman and Joe Piggott (second spell ) all spring to mind. I'm sure there were others too.

Of course most of the above examples were part-time players whereas Marcus was on a two year contract. On that basis he deserved every ounce of the criticism levelled at him. I could name you another dozen strikers to have graced our turf who were far worse than him (Darren Royle particularly !) but to find a comparably poor striker on a lucrative contract the only comparison was Michael ("I ate all the pies and asked for more") Twiss.
Ah yes , they were garbage  . Another 'dirty dozen' though . Your memory is far better than mine tbh.

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2023, 07:49:05 PM »

Dinanga had his critics and quite rightly so . He had pretty much zero composure in front of goal for us . He even managed to blaze over the bar in his last game in the Cheshire Senior Cup with the goal at his mercy.

That said he was also massively encouraged largely on the terraces and must have been the most sung about player in many many games.

He just could not cut it for us
ParkINson's red and white army

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2023, 07:56:03 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6czi9iu_kWA

Some superb Pitch level highlights from Gateshead of yesterday's game here. (Would love to see more of this kind of thing for our games, adding to the already excellent Alty TV highlights of course)

Lots of chances for both sides yesterday, unfortunately Gateshead took one of theirs and we couldn't with both sides playing some really attractive football.
Overall, we're still a work in progress but despite that have still had one of our best National League seasons this century. Would love us to finish 13th or above this year and hit the 60 point mark, that would represent excellent progress on last season.

So, the secret to winning appears to be having Cher in your changing room...

Maybe live and only after the game as a win bonus 🤣

Seth

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2023, 08:21:07 PM »

Maybe something to note is also Dinanga's cocky "I will score goals" interview when he first signed. I'm deffo not of the opinion that he's the worst Alty player I've seen though...

CRT Butty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2023, 10:02:56 PM »

Maybe something to note is also Dinanga's cocky "I will score goals" interview when he first signed. I'm deffo not of the opinion that he's the worst Alty player I've seen though...

I quite liked him when he was at Alty, but he was so damn frustrating. Wouldn't have him back though, we can do better.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2023, 07:18:59 AM »

Let's not pretend the criticism thing is suddenly new to us - or any other club, for that matter.

Those of us of a 'middling' kind of vintage will remember a certain Leroy Chambers, who enjoyed a decent goal return on the whole for us but you wouldn't go a week on the terraces without someone calling him a donkey.

He came back to haunt us too, albeit that was for Frickley - so at least we're seeing karma bite us on the arse at a slightly different level these days...

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2023, 09:51:09 PM »

after following football for about fifty years i never pretend that i understand it. how are gatehead getting it so right at the moment?

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2023, 10:05:03 PM »

after following football for about fifty years i never pretend that i understand it. how are gatehead getting it so right at the moment?

They're on an absolute mad one, so hopefully tonight's 5-2 win for them at Eastleigh puts the Saturday result into context a little more.

I suppose little tweaks to the balance of a lineup can have really amplifying effects - whatever it is, they've definitely found the formula of late.

Or sometimes the Gods just really shine on you - there really wasn't anything in Saturday's game judging by the highlights, sometimes it just goes for you.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2023, 10:05:12 PM »

Super Marcus! 😉
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

Mick

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2023, 12:05:17 AM »

They're on an absolute mad one, so hopefully tonight's 5-2 win for them at Eastleigh puts the Saturday result into context a little more.

I suppose little tweaks to the balance of a lineup can have really amplifying effects - whatever it is, they've definitely found the formula of late.

Or sometimes the Gods just really shine on you - there really wasn't anything in Saturday's game judging by the highlights, sometimes it just goes for you.
I know where you are coming from with the 'game in context' comment and with Halifax beating Wrexham also.......but for me both games against Gateshead and Halifax should have been won with better finishing. At worst we should be at Wembley and have taken a point Monday
Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

swindellsworth

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2023, 12:36:49 AM »

I know where you are coming from with the 'game in context' comment and with Halifax beating Wrexham also.......but for me both games against Gateshead and Halifax should have been won with better finishing. At worst we should be at Wembley and have taken a point Monday
Exactly that , poor finishing in both games cost us  , more so of course in the Trophy where Halifax  'stole' a trip to Wembley .  Hope Gateshead win their first Trophy final , on a brilliant run and with crowds of 1,200 most likely in our ball park re finance i would think.   

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2023, 09:25:42 AM »

Agree Mick, Parky has said all season, not being clinical has cost us at key moments, two you mention.

hsmith1

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2023, 09:53:51 AM »

Start Jordan with Linney and bring Hugill on about 65 minutes this should solve our scoring problems
Harold

distancetraveller

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2023, 10:51:07 AM »

With the best will in the world Hugill is never going to be a permanent fixture at Moss lane, I would keep Linney in the team, he is our no1 striker and he needs regular games so that he can get stronger and used to playing against the standard of defenders in our league. I’m all for the connection with MUFC regards loans etc but people like Linney who are our future, need to play. By all means play Joe Hugill but not at the expense of Regan.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2023, 12:06:51 PM »

^^^^ This, definitely!
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Gateshead Match Thread