PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How grounds used to be
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How grounds used to be  (Read 4232 times)

SW

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: How grounds used to be
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2007, 08:40:50 PM »

Its got nothing to do with increasing capacity or revenue. The Taylor report required league sides up to now the Championship to become all seater following a number of serious incidents in the 80's not least Hillsborough. It was a far better solution to Thatcher's Government idea of compulsoriy membership schemes.

n my view terraces are fine at our level and a couple of leagues ahead, however once grounds are at capacity the issue of safety arises. I am a Surveyor and have dealt with safety at sports grounds, and safe standing is perfectly possible until a safety certificate is abused  by clubs looking for money or violated by unruly fans gaining unauthorised admission. AKA Hillsborough or again recently with Liverpool and Man Utd fans in Europe.

Seating can be an issue, see previous comments from me and the stewards, especially if there is trouble and also if you have to sit close to a dickhead.

Seating also compromises atmosphere as singers can't always congregate together even where clubs try to generate singing areasa, it doesn't allow new fans to join in.
Steak & Kidney pudding, chips, mushy peas and a pint of gravy.

worcester robin

Re: How grounds used to be
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 04:50:45 PM »

Whilst i agree new stadiums do lack soul they do have toilets with lights in unlike Stafford the terraces are generaly safe to stand  on unlike Hulls old place ( I DO MEAN SAFE UNDERFOOT AND NOT SAFE FROM THE HULL NEANDRATHALS) The lack of atmo may in some way be due to to many seats but alot of it could be down to not enough fans;D
Pages: 1 [2]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 How grounds used to be