News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Is it still 1980 inside Moss Lane ?

Author Topic: Is it still 1980 inside Moss Lane ?  (Read 1290 times)

DugOut

« on: September 18, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »

In my opinion the club has been run fantastically to reduce the debt and the club is now on a sound foundation.On the down side I believe the current board have a fear when it comes to investing funds to improve the club and its future. What makes AFC wimbledon, Tamworth, Eastbourne, Southport, Histon etc any different to Altrincham FC? nothing in my opinion other than they show ambition and they are prepared to persue it. It is no coincident  that Alty have been excluded from the live broadcast again when we project a demeanour of the poor relatives in this league.

The club needs new blood in the boardroom and needs modernising on how it market and sells itself to the community and beyond. In the most simplistic terms more attendances will result in more revenue and more success. But to get improved attendances we need more success on the pitch and we need to reach the potential customers and sell Altrincham to the people. its a catch 22 situation unless external investment is found.

How much investment would be required to purchase the club?  £100K or £200K are there a local businessman prepared to invest ontop of the current investers ?  who knows, maybe a Premiership footballer will donate a months salary as a tax write off? ......... The one thing I can be sure about is the current board do not think big , so we will never know.

We live in one of the wealthiest parts of the UK with a diverse mix of entrepreneurial talent so come on board FIND someone or at leas  let someone like TASC help make decisions about the club other than fund raising matters .... CHANGE IS GOOD

Heffer

Re: Is it still 1980 inside Moss Lane ?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 04:49:02 PM »

Some fair points?

Bob

• Regular First Team
  • Glass Half Full
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:08:52 PM »

In my opinion the club has been run fantastically to reduce the debt and the club is now on a sound foundation.On the down side I believe the current board have a fear when it comes to investing funds to improve the club and its future. What makes AFC wimbledon, Tamworth, Eastbourne, Southport, Histon etc any different to Altrincham FC? nothing in my opinion other than they show ambition and they are prepared to persue it. It is no coincident  that Alty have been excluded from the live broadcast again when we project a demeanour of the poor relatives in this league.

The club needs new blood in the boardroom and needs modernising on how it market and sells itself to the community and beyond. In the most simplistic terms more attendances will result in more revenue and more success. But to get improved attendances we need more success on the pitch and we need to reach the potential customers and sell Altrincham to the people. its a catch 22 situation unless external investment is found.

How much investment would be required to purchase the club?  £100K or £200K are there a local businessman prepared to invest ontop of the current investers ?  who knows, maybe a Premiership footballer will donate a months salary as a tax write off? ......... The one thing I can be sure about is the current board do not think big , so we will never know.

We live in one of the wealthiest parts of the UK with a diverse mix of entrepreneurial talent so come on board FIND someone or at leas  let someone like TASC help make decisions about the club other than fund raising matters .... CHANGE IS GOOD

Its all very well saying we need new investment, we live in a wealthy town, not ambitious enough etc etc.  

There is no money to be made at this level, so talk of investments is total rubbish.  You only make money in non-league if you buy a club sitting on expensive land and then flog the ground.  Philanthropy and investment are totally different things.

This is a wealthy town and attracts wealthy people because it is a pleasant place to live, near the motorway, Manchester and the airport.  A lot of the wealth here is not born here - there is no sentimental attachment to the place.  Talk of a premiership footballer putting money in not going to happen.

I think talk of the board not thinking big and being unambitious is very unfair.  We have had big ambition in the past and it nearly bankrupted us.  I think this board is realistic, prudent and is doing the best with the resources available.  They inherited a club that was on its knees financially, what they have done to turn it around should not be ignored - and there wouldn't be much to moan about now without them.

I fully agree with you saying that we need to improve the marketing and sell the club better - that's where any financial input should go first in my view.

If you look at the clubs mentioned, Wimbledon are a totally different club, no point comparing us with them. I would say the others aren't any better placed than us off the pitch either.  Histon for one have had massive financial problems recently.

Off the pitch are are well run, the board cannot really be blamed for the terrible start on the pitch.  We could be performing a lot better with the same budget, as has been proved in the last few seasons.

Short of a mega rich Jack Walker type who'll write off two million quid over a five or six years (unlikely) or a big cup run I don't honestly see what the realistic solution is for drastically improving the finances here compared to what they are now.  

taxi Phil

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »

Good post Bob, can't disagree with one word of it !

Yes we are based in a rich area - but 99.99% of the rich people couldn't give a rats about "little" Alty. They can't see beyond Old Crapford and Wastelands.

The sad truth is that we've done bloody well to punch above our weight the last 5 years (and had a lot of good fortune along the way). We have to accept that it can't last forever, and unfortunately the only way is NOT up !

The unpalatable truth is that we have to brace ourselves for hard times ahead. The sun will shine on this club again one day - I hope I'm still alive to see it !

Meanwhile, I'm assuming now that we'll go down (then I won't be quite so devastated if we do, and delirious if we don't) and looking forward to better times in BSN next season. Another season like 2004-5 would suit me just fine - but it's probably three years away.

And you can post me all the Peakes you like. I'm trying to be a realist.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team