Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Seriously, just how abysmal were Stafford Rangers today?

Author Topic: Seriously, just how abysmal were Stafford Rangers today?  (Read 1657 times)

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 24, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »

If you have watched Alty since the early 1970s, then you will no doubt remember many stirring battles against Stafford Rangers over the years and recall what a force they used to be in Non-League Football.

However, on this afternoon's evidence, that has to be the worst Stafford Rangers team that I can recall seeing at Moss Lane.

We know that we've had a hard season....but spare a thought for those loyal Stafford supporters who are having to watch that every week.
You wouldn't bet on them finishing above Droylsden!

Alas, I believe that Vics still have to play them at home, so that should be three points for them.

Thank goodness for the finishing skills of Colin Little, as, had it been left to the likes of Senior and O'Neill to score, we wouldn't have won that game.

Anyhow, job done and some welcome assistance from Droylsden and Burton Albion.

Hope springs eternal.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:06:40 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Seriously, just how abysmal were Stafford Rangers today?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:15:58 PM »

Bit harsh on O'Neill and Senior there, can't believe Droylsden won, Chris Wilder will be fuming. After 10 minutes of today's game it was clearly apparant how awful Stafford were, and was just a matter of time before we scored, shame O'Neills cracker hit bar, i'm sure that'd have cheared you up :-)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 11:27:50 PM »

They were poor, and I guess low on confidence.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:20:44 AM »

If you have watched Alty since the early 1970s, then you will no doubt remember many stirring battles against Stafford Rangers over the years and recall what a force they used to be in Non-League Football.

However, on this afternoon's evidence, that has to be the worst Stafford Rangers team that I can recall seeing at Moss Lane.

We know that we've had a hard season....but spare a thought for those loyal Stafford supporters who are having to watch that every week.
You wouldn't bet on them finishing above Droylsden!

Well, the interesting aspect for me was that it just shows what a tough league this is, the efforts to sustain and survive seem to have knocked the stuffing out of Stafford as a club. Perhaps that's unfair but certainly whilst their players clearly lacked any confidence (and quality to a large extent) there seemed an air of resignation about the whole set up.

Last year they really were lively, this yearit seems from an outsider that the realisation that they can't afford Guy Madjo and David McNiven has hit home somewhat.

We had a routine 2-0 victory today, and it was a bit boring to be honest  :) imagine how dull it would have been in a BSN game.

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 06:20:58 AM »

It was a shame to see a great, old non league club like Stafford perform like that. The difference in class between the two sides was apparent for all to see and I just hope that Stafford don't end up going into freefall like they did the last time they got relegated. As for us, well we did enough. Can hardly blame GH for settling for the 2-0 at half time, given the importance of fixtures coming up. Playing three up front made an almighty difference - just hope it's not happened too late! Colin Little is looking dangerous every time he gets the ball and is playing with enhanced confidence of late. Joe played his part and it was good to see Val back at the heart of midfield. Not a great deal left to say, other than keep it up lads, you never know.
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team