PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Eastleigh Match Thread
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Eastleigh Match Thread  (Read 6432 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Eastleigh Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2022, 10:40:21 AM »

We're now closer to the playoffs (5 points) than to the relegation zone (8 points). COYR !

Is this it?

• First Team Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2022, 12:06:35 PM »

Overall, the best performance I've seen from us this season.  Solid performances across the park meant that, for once, Colclough didn't not look a completely different class to the rest (this is meant as a positive btw).  I can see Toby taking on the responsibility of captain sooner of later; particularly so as Hulme has found this season difficult and his deficiencies highlighted by the arrival of Newby, who must be pursued as a permanent signing. A very enjoyable watch (strange why the atmosphere was so subdued) and far more positive looking forward to the rest of the season.

jhcorbett

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2022, 12:32:50 PM »

Overall a deserved win and good 3 points but as others have said just seemed a bit of a subdued atmos and slightly off performance up front at times. We did enough to put the game to bed long before Eastleigh got their goal, just seemed frustrating that our forwards over elaborated a bit or just seemed a bit flat. Dunno. We did enough to beat Eastleigh but wouldn't have got away with it against a lot of other sides.

Can't grumble too much though as the defence and midfield are looking much more solid now. No longer shooting ourselves in the foot with daft goal conceding mistakes, so hope we can stick with this defensive/midfield line-up. Toby deffo deserved man of match and Newby had another good game.

Steve from Sale

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2022, 12:34:45 PM »

It's no coincidence that we have improved a great deal also, since Toby's return, and also Isaac back in midfield. I feel we are more where we should be. Next weekend will be a great test for us as to how far we have some. I'd like to see us now start beating teams in the top half of the table. The more we do that, the higher we will finish. Feeling much happier now with performances.

Sarf London Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2022, 12:42:30 PM »

Couldn’t make it unfortunately but great to keep the run going and 7/9 now. Important with two long away trips coming up. Think this nice rhythm now of one league game a week & full time training must be helping us a lot come matchday too.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2022, 01:10:05 PM »

I was concerned at the amount of possession Eastleigh had albeit ineffective for the most part. We struggled to retain the ball frequently. Those things apart I was pleased with what I saw. We pulled together as a team and effort was never absent. Toby is just incredible. Ryan ouzes class and every other player gave their all. Much more to celebrate than be concerned about.

chesteralty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2022, 04:58:56 PM »

Two things stand out for me.
Still that sense of panic at the end, we could easily have conceded another in injury time.
Also, what has Jennings brought. Newby has been a great investment, no doubt. All our best moves seem to pass Jennings by.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2022, 05:08:34 PM »

Looking at the county forum, they don't seem to have a very high opinion of him.
I don't know if he's going to be with us in the longer term but, for my money, he's still better than our other two candidates for the position.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2022, 05:50:18 PM »

Given what County fans thought re: both, I guess it's panned out as expected with Newby being the better longer term prospect for us (especially given his age). Jennings has been OK but I wouldnt be interested in keeping him on longer term from what I've seen so far - that's not to say I can't be convinced yet.

As far as I see it, we're tantalisingly close to solving our right winger issue, but we've far from solved our centre forward one.

I'm hoping our summer recruitment will involve going all our for a proper centre forward given we should be OK in most positions by then (if we can retain everyone).

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2022, 06:06:22 PM »

As far as I see it, we're tantalisingly close to solving our right winger issue, but we've far from solved our centre forward one.

I'm hoping our summer recruitment will involve going all our for a proper centre forward given we should be OK in most positions by then (if we can retain everyone).

I couldn't agree more.
Fingers crossed re Coco and perhaps Toby. They'd be big losses.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

JD

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2022, 09:43:12 PM »

Given what County fans thought re: both, I guess it's panned out as expected with Newby being the better longer term prospect for us (especially given his age). Jennings has been OK but I wouldnt be interested in keeping him on longer term from what I've seen so far - that's not to say I can't be convinced yet.

I can only speak from listening to RR, but I get the feeling he adds a lot to the build up play - holding the ball, laying off, bringing others into play etc - but is certainly not a prolific goalscorer; I think he only had 1 chance on Saturday.
RR seem impressed with him.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2022, 09:44:45 PM »

He's the best option there we've got at the moment I think.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Eastleigh Match Thread