News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Comments from Morecambe fan

Author Topic: Comments from Morecambe fan  (Read 3517 times)

Altyrocket

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« on: March 13, 2007, 10:43:42 PM »

Im sorry everybody, but i cant see how Mcniven playing would have made any difference at all tonight.

Altrincham set up with 3 center backs and 3 central midfielders to out number us through the middle. they played wingbacks who had no other instruction other than follow Thompson and curtis around like a second skin. add this to an absolutely outstanding workrate to close down space and you have to say it was a well deserved 3 points for the away side.

Tactically we did nothing wrong, we kept trying to do the right things, we worked the full width of the pitch time and time again. good movement and a good tempo in the second half.

At times we lacked composure and quality, but its not the end of the world.

We can actually take a big positive from tonights game, we can look at the Altrincham players performance, and copy their heart and desire for our remaining fixtures.

shrimper

Re: Comments from Morecambe fan
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 10:18:44 AM »

McNiven may have been a bit more intelligent in the box, where we managed to get bodies quite frequently. Other than that, can't argue with this. Alty controlled the ball better on what has now become a pretty poor pitch at Morecambe (Alty just got on with it whereas we seemed to be feeling sorry for ourselves every time - and there were lots - we failed to trap it).
Great workrate and running off the ball by the visitors. There was no lack of effort from us but we didn't find our strikers with meaningful passes often enough and midfielders didn't carry the ball as well as you did.
Well deserved win, no complaints.
Good Luck.

Red N White Dynamite

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:22:29 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments and good luck for the rest of the season.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »

Despite having Stabby in charge, the two Morecambe posters in this thread have been probably amongst the most magnanimous opposition posters to come on the forum. Makes a nice change from the begrudging and/or spiteful ones from elsewhere in Cheshire and in the Nailsworth area!
Good on 'em.
I'd like to see them promoted (apart from the manager) from the play-offs but it's seems more likely to be York on present form.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)

louise1925

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:57:08 AM »

Apologies for having a go at Shrimper a few days ago, because I'd had a bad morning really - stopped wrongly twice by police for having no car insurance - enough said. Hope Morecambe make the play offs, though it's got to be York for me really. Never understood the problem Alty fans have had with Sammy Mac (despite obvious Mac connection), lived round the corner from me and a decent guy.
AltyBri

shrimper

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:21:09 AM »

Thanks for that - I'm pretty thick-skinned so don't worry.
Morecambe-eye-view is now online at http://www.morecambetoday.co.uk/

Always enjoyed meetings between our clubs - still have my Frank Sidebottom badge from many years ago when he correctly predicted a 3-1 for the Robins.

louise1925

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:26:09 AM »

What happened to you guys last night? When we played you earlier in the season we couldn't get the ball, as with the match at end of last season. Not for one minute did I think we'd get anything. What have your scores v York been this season, perhaps your full backs can cope better with their wingers than ours can? Anyway, good luck to you guys, time to move on...and I will read your link.
AltyBri

markecky

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:39:29 AM »

Got to agree that Morecambe fans have now joined Cambridge fans in my "Fans with a degree of intelligence" list.

Its refreshing to see someone recognise that whilst we may not have many world beating players, our endeavour often gets us through.

And not read "you were the worst team we have ever played since Atherington Miners Welfare in 1987" and "you only brought about 5 fans" when there was 48 on a coach.

I know Morecambe must be better than last night though...and they still posess two of footballs widest men in Bentley and Curtis.

teasybeaver

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:44:42 PM »

Got to agree that Morecambe fans have now joined Cambridge fans in my "Fans with a degree of intelligence" list.

Dont start the student thing again, Phil will go mental if he heres us talking about lazy workshy people with degrees and intellegence!

Its refreshing to see someone recognise that whilst we may not have many world beating players, our endeavour often gets us through.

And not read "you were the worst team we have ever played since Atherington Miners Welfare in 1987" and "you only brought about 5 fans" when there was 48 on a coach.

I know Morecambe must be better than last night though...and they still posess two of footballs widest men in Bentley and Curtis.

I have a feeling that the staff v supporters game may provide a few more of footballs widest men, even in my wide absence!

Fair play to the shrimpers, delighted to hear these comments!

Altysmiffy

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »

Maybe they should diet!
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team