PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 gareth goes
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: gareth goes  (Read 6656 times)

Dougals Dad

!
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007, 11:33:38 PM »

Good riddance.

I think this a little harsh. There have been accounts of alleged - errm - discussions with Gareth.

Lets give him the benefit of the doubt and I suggest he came with the best of intentions and has been frustrated by his injuries & our form not allowing him to play as he would have wished. He was always a decent pro elsewhere.

Players who tell our fans to "f*ck off" have no place at this club.

Agreed......but do we have both sides of the story? Provocation & circumstance!

Alty365

Re: gareth goes
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 11:35:14 PM »

I don't think that telling him to show some pride was unreasonable in the greater scheme of things.

Reading Robin

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 11:58:57 PM »

If that was what was said to him i wouldn't blame him.  Effectively "Try harder", his response seems reasonable to me.

I'm sad to see him go, he may be getting more prone to injury as he gets older, but he has quality above anyone else at the clubs and showed it despite his lack of match fitness.  At least his presence would encourage us not to play the long ball. 

Alty365

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 12:09:29 AM »

If that was what was said to him i wouldn't blame him.  Effectively "Try harder", his response seems reasonable to me.

I'm sad to see him go, he may be getting more prone to injury as he gets older, but he has quality above anyone else at the clubs and showed it despite his lack of match fitness.  At least his presence would encourage us not to play the long ball. 

So you're saying it's ok to tell a paying customer to f**k off when they have asked you to show a bit more effort? (Something Whalley never showed in abundance).

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 12:19:15 AM »

I seem to recall that our present manager has had one or two 'disagreements' with supporters at Moss Lane over the years...!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

CB

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2007, 10:23:18 AM »

I know we're the paying public etc, but you shouldn't dish out abuse if you can't take it.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2007, 10:26:40 AM »

So you're saying it's ok to tell a paying customer to f**k off when they have asked you to show a bit more effort? (Something Whalley never showed in abundance).

Yes, if you haven't got the bottle to wade full on into the stand or come into the bar after to hammer everyone then you've no place at the club.

gazwarrington

• Administrator
  • Regular First Team
  • ALTY FC - LOVING AGM'S SINCE 2006
    • View Profile
    • www.altyfans.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 10:27:37 AM »

I took it  but rather than him stand up for himself he walked off sticking the V's up and swearing at me in the safety of the tunnel, afterall all I said was "Show some pride", which for me was very good .. I've said worse  ;)

I am fully entitled to my opinion after a pathetic performance like that, Laney, Scotty and Robbioe managed to have a civilised conversation with me in the bar afterwards about the game..

If he wanted an discussion that would have been fine, or to stick up for himself I could have lived with that all I had to do was show his face in the bar afterwards... He chose not to.

Reading Robin

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 05:20:59 PM »

Attending the match doesn't give you the right to abuse indiscriminately (i know it was mild in this case, but you are touching on this point).  Imagine telling someone in a shop to work harder, the response wouldn't be welcoming. 

Whalley doesn't run around manically, he keeps his position and retains his energy (his fitness isn't great after the injuries).  His effort shouldn't be judged by how much he runs, but if he keeps offering for the ball.  After losing he will have been tired and frustrated, which is why he will have come out with such a response.

Alty365

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2007, 05:27:41 PM »

I fail to see how saying "show some pride" is in any way abusive.

If the people who paid my wages saw that I was slacking they would be perfectly entitled to give me a kick up the arse. How is this situation any different?

Reading Robin

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2007, 05:41:54 PM »

You are a customer not their manager.  Try harder, basically stop being lazy, you can argue about semantics but it is certainly insulting for him.

Dougals Dad

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2007, 05:44:30 PM »

You are a customer not their manager.  Try harder, basically stop being lazy, you can argue about semantics but it is certainly insulting for him.

I agree. I suspect he is a man who takes pride in his game and is probably frustrated he cannot play the way he did in the Premier League

Alty365

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 05:47:06 PM »

Semantics nothing. I pay money at the gate which pays his wages. Simple. Don't try and tell me I can't have my say when players let the club down as badly as they did on Boxing Day.

Reading Robin

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 05:52:20 PM »

Semantics nothing. I pay money at the gate which pays his wages. Simple. Don't try and tell me I can't have my say when players let the club down as badly as they did on Boxing Day.

I can't argue with such logic.

Alty365

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2007, 06:00:30 PM »

I can't argue with such logic.

If you paid money to see a show and the actors couldn't be arsed trying you would be quite justified in voicing your displeasure at the poor performance. If you went to a restaurant and the waiter couldn't be bothered serving you well you would complain. We pay out money for a variety of reasons in life and if we receive poor value for money we have the right to complain. It makes perfect sense to me.

If you complained about a bad waiter and he came and told you to "f**k off" what would your response to that be?
Pages: 1 [2] 3
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 gareth goes