PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bad referees
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bad referees  (Read 4882 times)

ManagementGuru

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Bad referees
« on: December 15, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »

I am worried about the trend demonstrated in the last couple of weeks for the team to sulk if the referees a bad 'un.

And therefore to think it's OK to get tonked.

We need to show some resolve and keep the bloody score down in such circumstances.

A couple of weeks ago, I was hyper ventilating at the thought that we'd have a positive goal difference (it was -2 and heading in the right direction) after the big negatives of recent seasons - we've stuffed that now though!  It's like having one less point at the end of the season.

By the way, has there ever been an example of a bad ref who has been so biased in our favour that weve been ashamed to win the game?

fuertes

Re: Bad referees
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »

I thought the (Welsh) referee against Wrexham was giving them everything, but the lads stuck at it pretty well and earned a point that day.

seasonticket

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 11:13:19 AM »

Match officials worry me.
Not only in our games, where week in week out we seem to get the sh*t end of bad decisions against us, the Premiership is no better. Every week on match of the day there are contentious decisions in almost every game.
If the FA do nothing about this, and I don't expect them to do anything, then people are going to eventually get fed up and vote with their feet and not support football.
Yes I know all the arguments about these thing equalling out over a season but I don't believe that is the case. Too often at all levels the doubtful calls go in favour of the higher clubs.
After the Rushden game I suggested to my wife that another ref like that and I may not renew my season ticket next season. Ross Joyce could have ruined our season by completely destroying the teams confidence. What happens to him? Nothing! There should be more comeback on poor performing referees. Assesors don't work. Its time to try something else. Unfortunatly I cannot offer any alternative.

HallamAlty

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 11:35:04 AM »

I agree that refereeing standards are not great and there are some appalling ones out there.  Also agree that we often seem to be on the receiving end of bad decisions. 

However, I think the team need to be able to recover better from bad decisions.  (This applies to every single football team, not just Alty)  Bad decisions are a part of the game (not a good one but nonetheless they are there) and we can't do much about it.  So players should try to accept the decision and then decide to try twice as hard to turn the game around.  I know its hard to do that and sometimes when things go against you you just want to give up but often the best way to beat unfairness is to show that you can still succeed regardless.  It doesn't achieve anything when people give up after a bad refereeing decision. 

Also applies to fans, after a bad decision the lads really need a lift and lots of support.  Its kinda like sticking two fingers up at the ref, but in a more positive way!  ;)

Paul Cain's Chip Pan

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »

It seems obvious to me that we were lacking leadership on the pitch. The likes of Eddie Hussin and Mick Carmody would never have allowed fellow players to lose focus, irrespective of poor refereeing or any other distractions.

What I would give to have a fully fit Eddie Hussin in our side this season! I think we'd be even higher up the league than we are.

Come on Alty!

Alex

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:51:44 PM »

It seems obvious to me that we were lacking leadership on the pitch. The likes of Eddie Hussin and Mick Carmody would never have allowed fellow players to lose focus, irrespective of poor refereeing or any other distractions.
What I would give to have a fully fit Eddie Hussin in our side this season! I think we'd be even higher up the league than we are.

AMEN

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 04:31:37 PM »

Match officials worry me.
Not only in our games, where week in week out we seem to get the sh*t end of bad decisions against us, the Premiership is no better. Every week on match of the day there are contentious decisions in almost every game.
If the FA do nothing about this, and I don't expect them to do anything, then people are going to eventually get fed up and vote with their feet and not support football.
Yes I know all the arguments about these thing equalling out over a season but I don't believe that is the case. Too often at all levels the doubtful calls go in favour of the higher clubs.
After the Rushden game I suggested to my wife that another ref like that and I may not renew my season ticket next season. Ross Joyce could have ruined our season by completely destroying the teams confidence. What happens to him? Nothing! There should be more comeback on poor performing referees. Assesors don't work. Its time to try something else. Unfortunatly I cannot offer any alternative.
Referees are only human as well as the players. They do make mistakes and these mistakes even themselves out over a season. If you think you can do a better job become a ref. That's what I did. We need more refs in the game so there more chance for better refs in the game.
They really should be beating teams like us

seasonticket

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »

In reply to Cestrian. All I can say is refs may be human but if anyone does a bad job intheir working capacity they get a boll***ing from their boss. The FA does nothing so bad refs will not improve.

Mallorca Alty

• Regular First Team
  • aka Cestrian Alty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 04:59:41 PM »

These refs get assessed every game. In the report they are told what they did well and what they could have done better. In theory this should help them to be a better ref.
They really should be beating teams like us

seasonticket

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 05:04:57 PM »

Assessors are usually ex refs so only see it from the refs point of view. The bad ref can ignore an assesors report anyway. The FA needs to do more or football will suffer.

Jenga

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »

I got disallusioned with the referees in the Premiership and all the cheating and diving that I now longer watch Premiership football.

At least we dont usually get many cheats.

blackpoolalty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 06:39:40 PM »

I got disallusioned with the referees in the Premiership and all the cheating and diving that I now longer watch Premiership football.

At least we dont usually get many cheats.

No, just a prat at Oxford United !

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 09:27:43 PM »

I am worried about the trend demonstrated in the last couple of weeks for the team to sulk if the referees a bad 'un.

And therefore to think it's OK to get tonked.

We need to show some resolve and keep the bloody score down in such circumstances.

A couple of weeks ago, I was hyper ventilating at the thought that we'd have a positive goal difference (it was -2 and heading in the right direction) after the big negatives of recent seasons - we've stuffed that now though!  It's like having one less point at the end of the season.

By the way, has there ever been an example of a bad ref who has been so biased in our favour that weve been ashamed to win the game?

Well, we didn't win either of the following Nationwide North games.....but we did get two extremely favourable decisions...!

(i) Droylsden at Moss Lane on 23rd October 2004

The 'Hand Of Eddie' goal, as Hussin's late helping hand ensures a 2-2 draw;

(ii) Alfreton Town at Moss Lane on 20th November 2004

That infamous 'phantom' goal at the Chequers End when the ball hit the advertising hoardings rather than the net.
We eventually lost 2-1.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:05 PM »

(i) Droylsden at Moss Lane on 23rd October 2004

The 'Hand Of Eddie' goal, as Hussin's late helping hand ensures a 2-2 draw;

http://www.luso.u-net.com/confnor4.htm

So funny, in so, so many ways. *waves at Pacey and Harrogate*

Hale Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »

Bad refereeing decisions have been part of football since Henry Vs archers kicked a pig's bladder about during half-time at Agincourt. The way to deal with them is play better and score more goals.
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Bad referees