News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matty Kosylo

Author Topic: Matty Kosylo  (Read 2381 times)

One Foot in the Grave

• Regular First Team
  • Come on you Mighty Robins !!!
    • View Profile
Matty Kosylo
« on: April 25, 2023, 09:35:03 AM »

There has been a tendency from some posters in other threads to almost make it look as if Matty will be a major driving force for us next season.

I hope all of that optimism is borne out, but we should remember that Matty will be 31 in August, and has missed practically a full season with a very serious injury. It's vital for both him and the club that he has a good pre-season and is managed properly by our coaching staff.

A fully fit Matty would obviously be a major bonus for us, but we shouldn't expect him to just step straight in and become a miracle worker.

Amsterdam Alty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Matty Kosylo
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 10:31:45 AM »

31 year olds don't come back from ACL injuries and have the speed they had before.

I said this the other day that Matty Kosylo will be a shadow of his former self next season. I'd certainly only be counting on him for the Pringle role in the squad.

andrewflynn

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 10:44:21 AM »

While I agree with you both, it's possible that his role could change to a deeper 10 (the Oyedele, Osborne sort of role) next season if he's still got the touch. He was excellent there at the back end of the 21/22 season.

It's also worth mentioning that Hulme is hardly rapid but his output from the right has been decent for us. Johnston aside, it's not always been pace that's done it for us on the wings. Technical ability and ball retention first and foremost. Even Colclough wasn't rapid.

Overall though the wings are a huge concern going into next season and need some serious addressing, as I'm sure the club know very well.

MarpleAlty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 12:00:09 PM »

I suspect he'll transition back to a more regular wing role for us, because we all expect that to be a more pressing need for us (whereas it was once the other way round).

We certainly can't go into next season expecting him to be a starter, but in theory he should be a great squad option given his work rate and tenacity.

rorysgrandad

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 10:07:36 PM »

While I agree with you both, it's possible that his role could change to a deeper 10 (the Oyedele, Osborne sort of role) next season if he's still got the touch. He was excellent there at the back end of the 21/22 season.

It's also worth mentioning that Hulme is hardly rapid but his output from the right has been decent for us. Johnston aside, it's not always been pace that's done it for us on the wings. Technical ability and ball retention first and foremost. Even Colclough wasn't rapid.

Overall though the wings are a huge concern going into next season and need some serious addressing, as I'm sure the club know very well.
Osborne, Oyedele in the same breath!  😱

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 10:14:37 PM »

The only thing they've got in common is that their names start with the same vowel and end with the same vowel.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Matty Kosylo