PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Heathcote in, continued.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Heathcote in, continued.  (Read 11184 times)

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Re: Heathcote in, continued.
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:15 PM »

Fair enough Ballers, if Lewes make us look crap, then perhaps we have a problem. I hope that we'll do the usual for a team that's had a bad result and put in an improved performance.

Hugh

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2008, 03:25:46 PM »

Dear Uncle Globnasty,

Thankyou for your interesting post. To reply to your points...

1)Hugh, your loyalty is admirable, you may indeed be Mr Alty, but you really need to take off the GH blinkers and look at the bigger picture. Those blinkers are badly affecting your judgement.

I like to think not. And having said that, I think a number of people are responding "emotionally" to a rare good beating and a run where we have (somehow) not scored for a while. I still think 9 games with mostly a new team is too short a time to judge. Let's wait and see if we regularly get beat by genuine bottom half teams (and I heard we were very unlucky to lose at Eastbourne although admittedly lose we did).

2)Firstly, very few, if anyone, on here are saying that Heathcote has not been an excellent servant to the club, both as player and manager. Nobody is doubting his commitment, love of the club or his non-league knowledge. However, this is hardly the non-league of old. In no other line of work (or indeed in football) would someone be kept in their position, year after year, out of loyalty, whilst the company went down the pan.

To be fair someone used the word clueless. Fact. As I said, it is also three promotions in a row, and we would not have needed any of them if it was not for the FA's bizarre points deduction. Is this not true? And remember we were struggling against rtelegation from the NPL premier when he started here. Hardly down the pan if we're 21st (after nine games and a tough match) in the division above?

3) Secondly, nobody expected us to win at Satanage and we all realise they are in a false position at the moment, but they are not world beaters and what most expect is a little fight from the team. Everyone knows this league is going to be a struggle for us, given our constraints, that does not prevent us from making a fight of it.

I expected more to be honest. Having said that, they beat Burton 4-1, and Wrexham said they played better stuff than some league 2 teams. We are always going to have off days on tjhese long trips down south.

3) Thirdly, you keep on banging on about our improvement last season. I'm sorry Hugh, but what improvement exactly? We were relegated (and I don't count the AGM as a "promotion") and only showed any real fight in a handful of games.

We wouldn't have been relegated if Halifax had not been overspending (probably). After ten games we had 3 points. If we had got 6 points, or nine (which we will hopefully have after ten matches this time) we would have stayed up comfortably. Fact. And I don't look on last season as a relegation either. Halifax deserved to go. 2.5% - what? And after all our work paying off our debt! It frigging crippled me!

4) Fourthly, you keep on banging on about Dario Gradi as if he and GH are inextricably linked. I'm sorry, but there is a world of difference between the two scenarios. The similarity starts and ends with them having had to work within limited constraints in their respective divisions. Dario Gradi's teams were widely regarded as "playing football the way it should be played" (and they stayed up on their own merit most seasons). Now, Hugh, how many people do you think would regard Alty as playing football the way it should be played over the last few seasons?

A world of difference between division 3 and pt conference too.

5)Finally (I could keep going, but frankly this is depressing and soul destroying), you go on about the fact that a change of manager will do no good and we may be even worse of. I'm sorry Hugh, have you been polishing your crystal balls, because they weren't working too well last season when you kept on telling us how we were going to stay up (on playing merits)? You can not possibly know that and saying things may get worse if we make a change is hardly a valid reason for not making one. So Hugh, let's magine you have a personal physician and he tells you that you are going to die and that there is little that he can do given the tools at his disposal. Would you refuse the opportunity to get in another physician who may potentially save your life on the grounds that he may make things worse??
I was wrong last time (just). Things are better this time (fact). If it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt that a change will improve things then fair enough. Doubt remains. Wait a bit longer.

jimbo

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2008, 04:01:30 PM »

excelent post hugh.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2008, 04:13:35 PM »

Fact. As I said, it is also three promotions in a row

Damn and blast...does that mean that I missed the three open top Goodwin's bus tours through Altrincham to celebrate our marvellous achievements?

Hugh, I'm sorry, but that has to be the most ludicrous statement that I have ever read on this Forum, even by your own standards of claptrap.

God give me strength...!
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Alex

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »

unibond to conf north wasn't technically a promotion we just finished in the right place. so 1 promotion 2 tops (depending how you see it)

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 04:29:35 PM »

Just where do people expect a club with one of the lowest attendances and with fewer resources than most to finish?

Mid-table? 

I'd call that a miracle.

You name me a man who can perform miracles and then ask him to manage Alty.

The second word in his reply will be "Off"

Alex

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 04:31:03 PM »

are attendence is bigger than histon and they seem to be doing ok

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 04:45:41 PM »

And three of the teams with less crowds than us were relegated last year.

Higher attendances means more resources to buy better players.

The ex-League teams in this division have crowds 3 or 4 times higher than Alty's.

Imagine the buying power that gives you.

And Oxford operate at a loss of £800,000 per year in this div.

No wonder Alty struggle to compete to get players.

Alex

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »

i think we've managed to get Elam and Denham this summer, thats pritty competitive considering Ru$hden wanted Denham.

and thats the argument most people have is that we DO have the players this season (it's on paper the best squad we've had for years) but yet we are still negative and playing sh*te (and im saying this as a person who is sat on the fence with the whole heathcote issue, imagine how others feel)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 05:02:11 PM »

Dodgy stats to say the least. There were four teams with lower average crowds than us who finished above us and two more with crowds of very little more than ours.

The ex-League teams in this division have crowds 3 or 4 times higher than Alty's.

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 01:06:24 PM »

Dodgy stats to say the least. There were four teams with lower average crowds than us who finished above us and two more with crowds of very little more than ours.

Dodgy stats?

4 teams had (much) lower crowds than Alty last year and 3 of them were relegated. So Alty did ok by that measure.

2 with similar sized crowds also stayed up.

Add in the extra cash factor that some owners add to the pot and I think it's fair to say that Alty pretty much achieved what you could call a reasonable position last year.

108,000 people saw Oxford at home compared to 24,000 at Moss Lane

That's 84,000 more people (or 84 Alty home games) at Oxford.

And people expect the manager of Alty to compete with that?

Staggering.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »

108,000 people saw Oxford at home compared to 24,000 at Moss Lane

That's 84,000 more people (or 84 Alty home games) at Oxford.

And people expect the manager of Alty to compete with that?

Staggering.

Nobody but nobody expects the manager of Alty to compete with that.

Why is this so difficult to comprehend?

AltyFanInNottm

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Alty are a little club in a big league. Face it.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »

I'm sorry? Can you even read, let alone comprehend what others are saying?

Time after time after time it has been posted on here by those who wish for change that "we know we are a little club in a big league". We know we are part-time against full-time (in most cases). We know we have one of the lowest incomes in the league. This is all known and understood for the fifty millionth time for those who are hard of thinking.

All most are looking for is a style of play where we at least have a go at teams and in particular those that are no better than us (and there are enough in our little mini-league). Nobody is looking for a play-off push.

And as for your stats, last season if you wanted to compile a mini-league of teams with roughly the same or worse average crowds than us (i.e. none with an average of more than a 100 greater than us), then we would have finished 7th out of a mini-league of ten.

But they are just stats. The question is about whether or not GH can get the best out of the squad of players at his disposal......has the penny dropped in the poor box yet?
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 01:40:24 PM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, everyone has faced it.

Alty should be competing with the little clubs of this big  league. Face it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Heathcote in, continued.