Advanced search  

News:

PLEASE JOIN THE ALTRINCHAM FC PATRONS SCHEME TODAY
* HELP THE CLUB THROUGH THE COVID-19 SHUTDOWN
* HELP FUND THE CLUB TO BIGGER AND BRIGHTER THINGS
* HELP THE MANAGERS ATTRACT THE PLAYERS THEY NEED TO PUSH THE CLUB FORWARD

https://www.altrinchamfc.com/club/the-patrons-scheme

+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 History - A slack 55 goals and The Robins Club submerged in the wine of the gods

Author Topic: History - A slack 55 goals and The Robins Club submerged in the wine of the gods  (Read 2098 times)

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

For those of a certain vintage on here (and this is well before my time) this will bring back some memories. For others you may find it of interest. I'm not sure what publication this is from (as it was a gift from my mother-in-law), but it is dated July 1967. Take a shufty, you may even enjoy.
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

The ad on the back is also worth a look if nothing else for its ridiculous nature. Take a look here if you wish:

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=15114.0

p.s. I may venture up into the attic some time in the near future to retrieve some more memories (mine rather than someone elses)
It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

For those of a certain vintage on here (and this is well before my time) this will bring back some memories. For others you may find it of interest.

I'm not sure what publication this is from (as it was a gift from my mother-in-law), but it is dated July 1967.

Uncle G,

I'm pretty certain that the origin of this article is Charles Buchan's Football Monthly.

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Uncle Globnasty

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

Thank you for that info Cult. Even though I've heard most of it before I find the crowds we used to get in the 60's incredible and as for gentleman Jack, there really are no words to describe his feats in an Alty shirt (and without a doubt never to be repeated)....only wished I'd seen him play.

Saughall Robin

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile

For those of a certain vintage on here (and this is well before my time) this will bring back some memories. For others you may find it of interest. I'm not sure what publication this is from (as it was a gift from my mother-in-law), but it is dated July 1967.
Uncle G, I'm pretty certain that the origin of this article is Charles Buchan's Football Monthly.

You are correct, Cult, I've still got my copy somewhere. It only usually contained articles about league clubs so I didn't used to get it (that, and the fact it was either 2/6 or 3/6 which was a lot of money for a schoolboy!). I was given the issue concerned by a schoolmate.
"While we're in the North, we might as well take on the Cheshire League Champions and give them a good hammering" Bill Leivers, 1967 (before Altrincham 7, Cambridge United 1)
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 History - A slack 55 goals and The Robins Club submerged in the wine of the gods