Frost
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Frost  (Read 8172 times)

Alty Dave

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
Frost
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:04:14 AM »

Hope it is not a problem, but currently the turf must be rock hard?

Possibility we could play on Saturday instead?

Loss of camera revenue will be another blow if it happens.

penfold

Re: Frost
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:09:29 AM »

The forcast for the week say a hard frost every night, with wednesday being the milder night out of all of them.However, the temperature will not rise above 3 degrees!
Does anyone know how to prevent the pitch from becoming too bad? A bit of tarporlin might help, but i seriously doubt it will prevent the ground from freezing!

AltyTunnelSteward

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:19:24 AM »

My main concern would be that the 20/20 end goal area is now in shadow from the new development and may not ne thawed out in time.

There is also the area in the shadow of the main stand which may potentially cause an issue.

The only thing I can think may be of any use would be to cover those areas whilst they are not frozen and hope for the best

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:36:10 AM »

My main concern would be that the 20/20 end goal area is now in shadow from the new development and may not ne thawed out in time.

There is also the area in the shadow of the main stand which may potentially cause an issue.

The only thing I can think may be of any use would be to cover those areas whilst they are not frozen and hope for the best

Covering the turf to any great extent would undoubtedly cost money but it must be worth considering with the prospect of £8,000 from Setanta plus the receipts, bar takings, catering income etc from a potentially decent attendance.

As a contingency plan, Phil, could you have a word with George Heslop and get him to loan the club some of his long johns in order to cover the vulnerable areas of the pitch?

"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

crossie

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »

I have just been out in my garden, and my lawn is rock hard, so Moss Lane pitch must be in the same state! The weather forcast according to the BBC suggests the weather is to go even colder, bringing day time temperatures of 1-2 degrees C and minimum temperature at night of -2,-3! However, we all know how poor the BBC are with their factual information, you only have to  read former post match information regarding our club to spot the errors!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=4615

The link above sort of sums up the weather for the first few days of the new year, all I can say is i seriously think the game will be postponed! I hope not because after being booted off Setanta with Burton, Luton and other financial issues, its something the club can not afford! I know its a big ask but has anyone got any heaters which we could put on the pitch! :p

RedWhiteRedWhite

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 03:37:21 PM »

My training at 7:30 tonight, just been called off because the pitch is frozen solid now in Manchester.

Someone needs to getting running with an idea for NYD, before it's too late.

Butty

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 03:39:32 PM »

How about getting a few people to run on the pitch, does often help to soften it out a bit

Jenga

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »

Get our resident electrician to turn of the chip fryer and set up a network of cabling and we can all bring our hairdryers down and plug them in.

I see the only option we have is covering the pitch with plastic but it depends on whether this can be obtained at this time of year.

I hope we can keep this game on for the money at least.

markecky

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 03:52:32 PM »

There is no point covering already frozen grass...lets hope for a thaw and then maybe any form of cover on it.

The loss of revenue from this game if it is off is unthinkable

Dougals Dad

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:38:05 PM »

Any feasibility of getting some sort of heating under a cover?

I'm sure I've seen that done before.

markecky

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 04:52:32 PM »

Heard before that costs run into ten of thousands of pounds....

wayno

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 05:29:16 PM »

Would be gutted if this gets called off; not only financialy but have planned a 15 hour drinking session too  :'(
ParkINson's red and white army

Ballers

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 05:38:56 PM »

Would be gutted if this gets called off; not only financialy but have planned a 15 hour drinking session too  :'(

It'll be a 16 hour and 30 minute session in that case.

Anyway, it won't be off, no chance.

TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 06:00:12 PM »

Well, I saw two large Setanta trucks attempting to navigate Golf Road at 10.45am today, so they are optimistic about having a game to broadcast!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 06:14:53 PM by TheCultOfIanTunnacliffe »
"It was just two world class players going for a 50/50 ball."

John King's description of a crunching tackle on Ossie Ardiles in the FA Cup Third Round tie at White Hart Lane: 10th January 1979.

Darren

• Regular First Team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 06:39:22 PM »

Well, I saw two large Setanta trucks attempting to navigate Golf Road at 10.45am today, so they are optimistic about having a game to broadcast!

Setanta still have to set up untill otherwise directed, They had come straight from Old Trafford
@AltyDaz
Pages: [1] 2
+ www.altyfans.co.uk » General Category » Altrincham FC First Team
 Frost